Pages

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Stylish Gifts for Him and Her: A Holiday Gift Guide



1.  True story - last month the family and I took a trip to Virginia. I spent about half a day carefully assembling awesome outfits for all of us, so we'd look put together the whole time. And then I packed it all up in a big, stained and tattered red nylon duffel bag that's so old and beaten up it's probably currently made up of more duct tape than original materials. Once in the airport, I stood as far away from that bag as I could without alerting security personnel.


 It was bad, y'all. I think this gorgeous Italian-made leather carry-on bag would make any stylish traveler look forward to schlepping luggage onto, off of and between flights.




2.  Just about any woman and most style-conscious men would appreciate the gift of a luxurious cashmere scarf or a handmade cowl in a color and style that flatters his or her features. Neckwear comes in so many fabrics and textures and all virtually every price-point, and if you're thinking the stylish person on your list has enough scarves, guess again! Accessories like these make tired wardrobes fresh again and if chosen correctly, get curated like art by true style-lovers.












3.  I think we can conclude that smart phones are here to stay and they've become part of every outfit, so investing a few bucks on a quality leather case for your stylish friend's iPhone is probably a safe bet. This one from Pottery Barn is under $20 and can be personalized.


4.  I innocently pinned a simple monogram bracelet like this one on Pinterest a month or so ago, and watched in amazement as hundreds of other pinners tacked it to their own wish-lists and style boards over the course of a few days. It makes sense the bracelet would be so popular because it's a timeless piece that can be worn with any and everything. I would remember the person who gave me such an elegant and versatile gift every time I wore this, wouldn't you?



5. The style-conscious love accessories, and we pile up a lot of them over time. A stackable jewelry box takes up little room but provides ample of storage for stylish bits and baubles, yes?















6. He might not want a pretty jewelry box, but organization with a side of technology and another side of masculine swagger? Yeah, men dig that. I gave Al an older version of this valet and charging dock a few years ago, and he was appropriately wowed.
















7. Just in time for New Year's Eve, your stylish lady-friends should appreciate this sparkling, versatile sequined tank, perfect for popping on with anything from a pair of jeans and a velvet blazer for the neighborhood count-down party to a long, flowy skirt and a cashmere wrap for a gala affair downtown.  (If she doesn't, you can send it to me.)









8. I'd really love to see Al in one of these gorgeous and strikingly unique chambray tuxedo shirts on New Year's Eve. A casual fabric cut into a relaxed take on the formal classic. Impeccable style for your stylish man. I may have to do a style post on this one soon.

















9.  If you've gotten this far and not found anything your fashionista doesn't already have in triplicate, how about fresh new style inspiration, delivered to his or her door monthly?  Gift her a year's subscription to InStyle magazine or another favorite like Vogue, Lucky, Elle, Marie Claire.  For men, take a look at GQ, Details, and Men's Journal. 









10.   And then there's the limitless dreamy luxury of the gift card.    I know it's not that original, but style is a very personal thing, yes?  And most of the stylish people on my list also enjoy shopping (endlessly) and would deeply appreciate extra funds to spend on pieces they love on-line or at their favorite stores.  J. Crew, White House Black Market, LOFT and Garnet Hill are among my top style stops, but you can choose a place your fashion-icon loves and order up a gift card in minutes.  If the idea of just giving a gift card seems boring or not-quite-enough for you, pick up a small accessory item like costume jewelry, a belt or scarf and wrap it up with a gift receipt and a gift card.  This gives your stylish giftee plenty of freedom and choices.

*****************************

Please also peruse the following fabulous gift guides from some of the most brillant and shopping-savvy women I know, all of whom participating into today's Gift Guide Round-up.




The Blah Blah Blahger: Gifts for the Wine Lover
O My Family: Gifts for Toddlers
Kelly Sauer: Photography Gifts
Fried Okra: Stylish Gifts
Love Well: Gifts for Teens
LoveFeast Table: Gifts for Him
Joy in this Journey: Healthy Gifts 






Like the FriedOkra Facebook page. 
Subscribe. 
Get my updates in your in-box by subscribing via email using the link on my right sidebar.
Find me on Twitter and Instagram.  There, as anywhere, I'm simply 'FriedOkra.'


7 comments:

  1. The leather carry on bag is calling our names!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mine too! I sent Santa the link as I was writing this post! He's a member of Amazon Prime, you know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great suggestions, Megan! Is it bad that I want to give most of these things to myself?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bad? No way... it means I've hit my mark, my stylish sistah! xx

      Delete
  4. Love this - great list! And I think I *might* be brave enough to swing the sequin thing this holiday season.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to know about that awesome bracelet in the first photo! Love it!

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts?