Pages

Friday, December 28, 2012

Amaretto Eggnog Pound Cake with Vanilla Rum Glaze

I made this pretty little baby for dessert after dinner Christmas night, but I proudly posted a picture of it on Facebook Christmas morning. My sister Jackie, who was traveling with her whole family to our house that day, announced upon her arrival at 2:30 PM that she was having cake RIGHT THAT MINUTE because she'd seen the picture at 10 AM and couldn't wait any longer.

It was Christmas, so she got her cake.




Amaretto Eggnog Pound Cake with Vanilla Rum Glaze

1 (18 1/2 ounce) package yellow cake mix
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups purchased eggnog
1/4 tsp almond flavoring
4 tablespoons butter, melted

Glaze:

2 cups confectioners sugar
1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 Tbsp milk
1 Tbsp Captain Morgan's or other spiced rum

Oven 350°.

Coat bottom of a tube or bundt pan with butter or cooking spray.

Stir all cake ingredients together and then mix with electric mixer on high setting for 1 minute, or until batter is very light and fluffy. Pour/spoon into baking pan. Bake for 45 - 50 minutes or until cake is golden on top and slightly pulling away from the sides of the pan. Allow to cool, remove from pan.

Mix glaze ingredients together with a whisk until smooth. Shoot for a consistency somewhere between spreadable and pourable (yeah, I know, but that's what I did and it worked well). You may have to add more rum or milk to get it right. Glaze cake while it's still warm. I poured the glaze over just the top and then kinda helped it ooze over the edges with a spatula.

This cake tastes even better 24-48 hours after it's baked, so feel free to make ahead and store in an airtight cake-taker. (Although we enjoyed it quite a bit right out of the oven, too. Ahem.)


Like the FriedOkra Facebook page.  
Subscribe.  
Get my updates in your in-box by subscribing via email using the link on my right sidebar.
Find me on Twitter and Instagram.  There, as anywhere, I'm simply 'FriedOkra.'

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for indulging me, Megan! The cake (and everything else you made for us) was delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still have never tried eggnog but I Want to try this!!

    Steph

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts?