Pages

Friday, October 19, 2012

How to Style Men's Chuck Taylors

Last weekend Al looked down at my Chucks and declared, "I think I need some of those!"

We ended up in a conversation about college basketball and how black men really can jump higher, and shortly thereafter we were in DSW buying Al a pair of black high tops.

I asked him later how he was going to style his new kicks and he looked at me with a blank expression and said, "Style them?"

"Yes.  What are you going to wear them with?"

"I was thinking about pants.  And, you know, a shirt?"

Oh dear.  Sigh.

I quickly Googled "how to style men's Chuck Taylors."

And got exactly nothing.

People? When I see a dire need like this, I'ma fill it.

Behold:




I styled Al's high-tops with a warm, preppy vibe, as if he's headed off to a college football game this weekend (Side lament: Oh, how I wish we were. Sigh.) Converse can certainly also be styled a bit more funky (or is "funkily" the adverbial form of funky?), maybe with a skinny jean and a leather bomber. But this, to me, is the perfect look for my particular sexy, brainy, funny man. In the spring or summer, I'd probably put him in jeans, a medium-checked purple gingham button-up, untucked, and a natural canvas belt with these shoes. He would totally rock that look, too.

One key, I think, to actually styling a men's casual trainer like Chuck Taylors is to make the shoe a fun and unexpected part of the outfit by keeping the rest of the look slightly more dressed and neat.


Happy weekend!


Like the FriedOkra Facebook page.  
Subscribe.  
Get my updates in your in-box by subscribing via email using the link on my right sidebar.
Find me on Twitter and Instagram.  There, as anywhere, I'm simply 'FriedOkra.'


7 comments:

  1. WHERE IS THE PHOTO OF AL???? I need to see him in his FriedOkra outfit! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you nailed it! You'll have to get Al to let you take his picture so we can see him rock the look!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll work on getting a shot of my honeybunny this weekend, y'all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely need a pic of Al:-) My hubby and I love our converse-we've worn them since college (ages ago;-). Hubby wears black or gray and I like to find the unusual colors. I've seen a polka dotted pair but have yet to buy them-maybe Santa will bring them. I love the look!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love me some Chuck's...def need a pic of Al!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're funny...."dire need" indeed!

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts?