Pages

Saturday, May 26, 2012

Summer Weekend Looks: Florals - Are You Rockin' the Blossoms?

You know what?

I just might.

I've never been afraid of a floral. Remember those big ol' Laura Ashley bubble suits of the 80s? I was the first girl in my high school to latch onto that trend and have my mother whip one up on her trusty Singer. I wore it with Keds. And matching crew socks. Of COURSE. I wish I could find a picture, y'all. I weighed all of about 72 pounds soaking wet in high school, so you can imagine how fetching I looked decked out in a full length, 4-yards-of-poufy-cornflower-blue-chintz romper emblazoned with bright pink cabbage roses as big as my teeny tiny head and starchy-crisp pastel pink grosgrain bows on my ankles and shoulders.

Around that same time, Mom also made me a dusky peach drop-waisted sundress that had glaring, life-sized hydrangea blossoms all over it. This piece of haute couture also featured a gigantic self-tie perched jauntily over my left hip.

I was voted Most Likely to Be Martha Stewart's Couch that year.

I can't begin to tell you how tickled I am to see florals come blooming back for round two while I'm still young enough to be on-trend. I kinda thought I'd be in my nineties, wearing models coats and tricot slip-ons the next time I intentionally put on a peony garden.

But hey, I look at it this way: When it comes to wearing a floral, I've climbed Mount Everest and planted a magnolia blossom flag on top. Any other botanical print from here on out? Ain't nothing but a flowery little hill, my friends.

Florals


If you look around in magazines and style blogs right now, you can see outfits comprised completely of "complimentary" florals and patterns from shirt to shoes. Apparently, the fabulous fabrics of Waverly have crawled out of the nurseries and sun porches and powder rooms of the South and taken it to the runway. Honestly? My example is very toned-town compared to what I've seen elsewhere, and I think is age-, lifestyle- and weather-appropriate.

Nothin' but a little ol' hill.

So tell me, are you rockin' the blossoms?

Hope y'all have a wonderful Memorial Day weekend!

----------------------


Hey, don't forget to LIKE the FriedOkra Facebook page to find more daily outfit ideas, check all out all my fashion-and-beauty related Pinterest finds, find links to my favorite posts from other style bloggers and much more.

And as always, you're invited subscribe to all of my FriedOkra posts here. Or get my updates in your in-box by subscribing via email using the link on my sidebar.


3 comments:

  1. I never rock anything but t-shirts and jeans! Haha. There are black flowers on one of my purple t-shirts, though. Maybe that counts?

    Have I told you lately that I love the way you write? I wouldn't "listen" to anyone else in the world "talk" about floral-patterned clothing! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love those pants! too bad i clicked through to see the $300 price tag. good inspiration for a find thrifting this weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was about to say NOOOOOO, but then I saw your inspiration board and that outfit is totally adorable!

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts?