Pages

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

neons (elegantly)

So, this crazy 80s-flashback neon trend? Yes or no?

I ... I just don't know. I have really fair coloring, so if it's not exactly the right bold shade, I look limp and washed out. And I'm really a more classic dresser, tossing in a tip-of-my-hat to extreme fashion-forwardness here and there. I find I need to go easy or feel awkward and not-like-myself when it comes to the really out-there trends. But I want to play along, so I fiddled around with neons and came up with this simple combination for a day of sightseeing this weekend in Chicago. (Al and I have a date, and we're hosting some dear old friends from our Atlanta days. I absolutely can't wait... I think it's exactly what I need, and what Al needs, and what WE need together, as us.)

neons elegantly



The sweater is a lightweight wool to stave off the chill, but I think I've kept it light enough to give it a bright, springy look and vibe. I may have to switch out the electric blue pumps for my trusty Bass dirty bucks if the sightseeing gets beyond a block from the hotel. (I stupid-love those shoes anyway so I'm good with either.)

Are y'all doing neon this season? Tell me how you see it working with your current wardrobe and lifestyle.


Y'all can subscribe to FriedOkra's feed here.

17 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. That's a powerful vote of confidence! Thanks!

      Delete
  2. I like the neon revival. But then again, I loved it the first go around too.

    That outfit is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I want to see how you wear neon this time around, Kelly!

      Delete
  3. I'm not sure about the neon...but those shoes are divine! So sassy!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh but YOU have the coloring for the neons! You can go as bold as you like!

      Delete
  4. While you don't know me, I am probably one of many "blog stalkers" you have. :-) Your blog inspires me all the time, so I have nominated you for the Sunshine Award.
    http://whoplannedthis.com/2012/04/24/the-sunshine-award/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, gosh! Thank you! I'm coming over to take a peek today. And please join in anytime here! I know it's hard to find time to comment but when you do have time, know that I'd love to hear from you! xoxox No stalking necessary. :)

      Delete
  5. Cute outfit. I am trying to the neon thing but only to the extent that a cardigan can cover most of it;-) I bought a neon pink t-shirt and wear it under a cardigan.
    My very pale skin looks pinkish when I wear anything neon-but I am trying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea. I might have to try that too. I did it to a very mild degree with an outfit back when it was warm... but then I forgot that approach. Thanks for the reminder. :)

      Delete
  6. I'm skipping neon. Did it int he 80's, don't need to go there again!
    Found you through Laura's Sunshine Award and noticed we are both over 40 style bloggers named Megan! Small world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your blog Megan! I visit almost every day... You have very great looks going on over there and yes, it's nice to run across a VERY kindred spirit. Thanks for stopping by... I feel like I was visited by a major celebrity!

      Delete
  7. Gosh, I'm with you. I just don't know. I did wear a hot pink silk skirt last week that made me happy, but outside of the pink realm of neons ... I'm not sure. The outfit you put together is DARLING though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks friend. Maybe you and I could try the cardigan thing "d" mentioned above. Or a belt?

      Delete
  8. I bought some bright jewelry at Target and I'm wearing it with some neutrals that I already have. A bright yellow or electric blue necklace looks really cute with a crisp white shirt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, and I do love a crisp white shirt. So yes! Good idea!

      Delete
  9. I feel the same way, I'm just not sure about the neon trend...

    I like the way you tastefully incorporated it into this look, I think I can handle it in small doses like that :)

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts?