Pages

Monday, April 23, 2012

Heart Bounce

Good gosh.

It's been quite the few months. So much sadness lately. I'm digging out now (I hope) from the depths of it all.

You know how your soul gets overwhelmed, and you need to surrender to it all, everything, and just sink down, down, and down into this abyss, the emotional depths, the dark murky bottom of yourself to lick wounds and bind up your heart and find your hope again? But there's all this stuff that holds you back from being allowed to just let the suckiness suck you down, all these people who need you in the here and now, and all the responsibilities only you can handle and all the minutes of daily life ticking away at you, ticking right into your eyes, holding you captive like a school teacher waiting for your answer? (And it's probably a good thing, but it feels like captivity.)

That's where I've been. Being ticked at, while the sucky sucked. I clung to crumby countertops and neighborhood sidewalks and daylight and small voices clinging back. It almost rips you apart, the wishing to bottom out, go dark, shut down, versus the greedy, needy pull of life-keeps-going. If I didn't have to, I wouldn't. That's it, plain and simple. And some things I've let go (that I shouldn't have, probably) but releasing anything at all sometimes seems like a small, downward escape.

My nephew Owen is sick again. I didn't say anything because what do you say when you've been preaching the hopeful word to yourself and anyone who listens, and Dark Scary Bad walks up behind you, large and mean, and taps you hard on your small shoulder and you turn around and there It is again and it's not a nightmare and it's not going away? But now he's improving and though there's no wide, pretty bow yet with which I can tie it all up, these fair, light strings of hope float again around him, maybe we'll tie those up one day. He's still in the hospital and sick, but out of immediate danger. A million friends and family pray for him. His parents. My sister ... I just can't do what I want to do. My words stutter out, frail, "Do you need anything?" Even when my mind knows there's only one thing they need, and it's nothing I can give them.

And Al was out of town, and I got chickenpox. And the sadness felt even sadder laying heavy over that grainy, achey, hazy sickness, and I let go of more that I probably shouldn't have, and felt my grip loosen, but kept my fingernails embedded in spelling words that needed practicing and puddles that needed wiping up and bellies that needed filling. Even words got too hard and finally I only spoke the bare necessities. My hands and feet did what they had to do, my heart abandoned everything and everyone else.

I felt it wanting to ask for something it needed, but the words had already gone. And so in one instant, when I couldn't not anymore, I let my heart just go. Down and down, darkness into black.

I never heard it hit bottom.

But now I feel it on its way back up. I don't even know how that happens, but it does.




Y'all can subscribe to FriedOkra's feed here.

12 comments:

  1. It just bounced when it hit bottom, and went soaring straight back up. I like that. Praying the depths are not so deep next time. Praying for respite. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeesh - you've had a bit much going on. Glad your heart is bouncing back, and praying for good news for Owen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep. I know this. Each day is a little lighter and I'm almost back out. Solidarity, friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think we've all been there and it's good to talk about it...otherwise, we feel all alone. AND YOU ARE NOT ALONE.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Megan. My love to you. I'm clawing my way to the top, too. No more falling down there. I'm praying for you, love.

    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  6. Praying for Owen here...and his box of Legos is on the way. :) I can't wait to see you...and hope to encourage you, although as you said there's just not much that can be said or done...but we can work on having a good time and enjoy the moments and the memories. :) I love you, friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Praying for Owen and you. Hang on, girl. Hang on.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What I love about this, friend, is that you recognize the pattern. There is some freedom in that, I imagine. You know once your feet hit that bottom, you will push up with all your might toward the sun.

    So much love.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful and honest, a good way to bottom.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My heart, mind, and prayers are with you and your family. I don't know what to say, I am saddened deeply. Just know you are not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Megan. I could have written this post, because I've been there. Right now, I'm peeking out at the sunshine, but at the same time, waiting for the downpour. It's not a fun place to live and I feel your pain. My heart is with you daily, lifting you up out of that murky mess. I do think that might be what keeps me going, knowing that others are doing that for me. Love and prayers for you and especially for Owen and his family right now. Life is hard, but loving is so worth it all. XOXO Cathy

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts?