Pages

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

WIWW: VS Dresses on a Regular Old Imperfectly Perfect Body (Yes, Gertrude, It CAN Be Done.)

It's warm!  Do you call it Indian Summer when it happens in March?  

Whatever you call it, I love it.

Do you ever look through Victoria's Secret clothes catalogs and kinda want to order one of those BODIES to stick your head on?  Yeah, me too.  

I have a love/hate relationship with VS.  I love some of their clothes (the more modest ones, typically) and hate with the fire of 100 Mexican suns their TV commercials and catalogs that parade all of those skinny bodies in front of my eyes and those of my sweet, darling husband (who always looks away out of politeness, even screwing his face into a sneer of disgust, God love him) who loves and appreciates my sturdy but somewhat threadbare little 40 sumpm body and doesn't need to be reminded of what else is out there.

VS does have some cute things, and occasionally after careful and exhaustive research and critical analysis, I get brave and buy a thing or two.  The two dresses I'm showing below are purchases from this season and last season, and both are still available.  I'm a size 4/6 (We'll call it "top/bottom proportion diversity" ... smile.) and I'm wearing a size M.  Sizes run small, and what's really weird to me is that I mostly have to buy the size M to accommodate "the girls."  

Now why would a company whose marketing entire marketing/advertising strategy revolves around flashing ample bosoms in our faces and sell clothes designed for the membership if the IBTC?  That's a bit of a mystery to me.  

I'm okay with it though because buying a medium for the ladies leaves ample room for the hippos.  
Um, I mean hips

Tuesday outfit of the day - VS beach dress and Guess sandals.  In March'


Sandals - Guess via DSW
Necklace - Lia Sophia

.


Jacket - Michael Kohrs (thrifted)
Bucks - Bass (boys' department)
Necklace - LOFT

The outfit below is what I'm wearing today, and has nothing at all to do with VS dresses. (Was a disclaimer necessary? )  

This adorable eyelet skirt is from Target, and although it does have a slightly annoying large elastic band around the waist, it is otherwise very well constructed (fully lined), long enough for a woman in her 40s to wear without feeling utterly ridiculous (tough find in a flirty skirt these days!), and just a really neat little piece for spring/summer.  I am going to love wearing this one all season long, with everything from casual chambray to elegant silk.  I ordered mine in a Small, because it's cut full that enough I didn't need to fret over that whole "extra room in the seat" thing.  

I'm sorry the pic doesn't reveal the detailing of the eyelet for you, but if you click on the link below, Targets photos do a better job of that.

Felt pretty conspicuous in this at the bus stop with all the other moms and dads in running shorts and trainers.  Target eyelet skirt, Old Navy striped tank ($8 bogo this week!), Polo boys' gingham shirt and b.o.c red sandals.


Eyelet skirt - Target (Also in stores now!)
Striped tank - Old Navy ($8 bogo this week in store! Many colors and patterns to choose from.  Caution: They run very small.)
Blue/white gingham shirt - Polo boys' department via Marshall's
Red sandal - b-o-c via DSW

As is always the case, I'm linking up today's daily style post at What I Wore Wednesday.

Have you tried catalog store shopping and been surprised to find things you love on-line?  Or do you have a super new piece that you know is going to be a major underpinning for your warmer weather wardrobe?  Oh please, do share!  






Y'all can subscribe to FriedOkra's feed here.

8 comments:

  1. super cute! i'm only ever bought under things from VS but these are darling :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've also only ever bought the underpinnings from VS as the sultry, vampy shots of their clothes typically scare me away. But LOOK AT YOU. Just totally rockin' it. You are the superty duper cutest ever. Just GORGEOUS. No wonder Al looks away in response to the VS trashy ads - look what he has to feast his eyes on. RAWR.

    And look at you in the eyelet. It is so in this spring. I am so glad to see you back on the WIWW train. You have too much cuteness to keep to yourself, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love and adore your outfits and enthusiasm! Thank you for providing such fashionable inspiration.

    Have a well dressed day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am going to check out VS for dresses. I love wearing them but finding a good fit/shape is tough. Love your eyelet skirt ensemble, as I told you on Twitter. Can't wait to wear mine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute outfits! I really like the second one!

    Stopping by from the pleated poppy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh love! yes yes adore online shopping <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seriously, Megan. I love it when you do these posts. You have FANTASTIC style. I love that first dress. (Does VS have it online still? Their website can be so overwhelming sometimes.) I've ordered some of their clothes before - mostly sweaters, in the winter. And pajamas. (Like, REAL pajamas, with buttons and long sleeves, versus some of the stuff they sell.) 've found that they run small too. So I just take that into consideration when ordering.

    So I think I need you to come be my personal fashion consultant. My clothes are fine, but a tad boring for the everyday. (Which is why I love these posts. They give me ideas.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You look fabulous, and I am loving every outfit!

    I love the tips on VS sizing, and am wondering how tall you are so I can guess how these would hit me in length... I am only 5 feet tall, so it is an issue:-)

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts?