Pages

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

WIWW: Black and Blues Without the Snooze

A great-fitting black v-neck t-shirt and a pair of faded jeans has to be one of my favorite combinations.  A definite go-to for my every day style, it's seasonless, timeless, ageless, and done right can be so flattering and subtly sexy, but done too often can be a bit of a snooze-fest.  So I wanted to see if I could achieve similar results by exploring some new but classic [and warm!] pairings of blues and blacks (plus some other neutrals, because there were a few items in my closet that desperately wanted me to wear them this week, even though they weren't black or blue.  You know how that goes, right?)

Simple Sparkle

easyeverydaystyle

Sweater - Garnet Hill, thrifted (!)
Jeans - Lucky Brand
Lace-up Oxford booties - MIA
Belt - ? 
Sapphire bracelet - gifted from Al and the kids this Christmas


fashionover40








I love the details on this Garnet Hill sweater.  
I also love that it cost $2.99 and still had its original tags.  Come to Mama!


sapphirebraceletdresseddownmomover40








laceupoxfordbootie

Upper left:  A close-up of the sapphire bracelet.  I almost took this back and exchanged it for something "more practical."  When I first opened the box on Christmas morning, after fainting dead away, I thought "Gorgeous!  But so fancy, I could only wear it on special occasions."  The longer I held onto it though, the more I thought it would be the perfect pop of sparkle for a very simple outfit like this, where it gets to be the star.  
I think it works, do you?

Right: Peabody wanted a kiss mid-photo-sesson.  Who am I to say No?  
Besides, I've learned that saying no to a Cobb man is futile.

Just above: And a close-up of the lace-up oxford bootie.  
(So toasty-warm and a bit less clunky than a boot can be.)

Preppy con Cozy


IMG_0194
 
Sweater - LOFT 
Striped shirt - Jones New York 
Jeans - Land's End 
Black Patent belt - Calvin Klein
Boots - Sorel 

IMG_0206

This "scarf" is just a swath of animal print fabric I had left over after making this DIY wooden bead necklace in the fall (scroll down to about mid-page to see the necklace.) 
 I just tied it into a loose ascot around the collar of the shirt.

IMG_0244IMG_0217

I switched to a black suede kitten-heel pump with a teeny bow on the toe (Kelly & Katie) after things dried up outside. 
Necklace - LOFT
 
Skirt?  Checks!


IMG_0255


Skirt - Ann Taylor 
Gingham shirt - Ralph Lauren (Boy's shirt. Got it for $10 at Ross!) 
Grey v-neck sweater - Eddie Bauer 
Tights - Target 
Shoes - Circa by Joan & David 
Necklace - LOFT, Bracelets - Target, Old Navy 



IMG_0259

I've always loved gingham.  So glad it's got a place in today's grown-up styles.  
Hoping to get Al to try a bit in his casual wardrobe soon.  He'd look positively dashing in it!

Corduroy Mère

IMG_0320

Corduroy blazer - Land's End via Ross (major score for $11.99) 
T-shirt - Gap 
Jeans - Lucky Brand 
Animal print pumps - Bandolino 
Braided leather belt - thrifted 
Necklace - Target, Bangles - Old Navy

IMG_0326IMG_0340

Yes, I still ended up in the black t-shirt and jeans I love, but just this one time, 
and I added the blazer and a fun shoe to give it extra warmth and a bit of sophistication.

Do you have a favorite combination that never fails to make you feel comfortable and cute?  Have you ever tried variations on that theme?  I had fun with this and found some outfits I loved and will wear again, for sure. 

Want to see my other style and What I Wore Wednesday posts?  


I'm linking this post to What I Wore Wednesday and Real Momma, Real Style.  If you are here from either, I would love to see your outfits as well.  Please post the URL from your current post in your comment (otherwise they usually don't work for me, for some reason) so I can stop by.

If you are a regular reader or a friend-in-real-life who clicked over from Facebook, I want to hear from you in the comments section below as well.  (It's not hard, and it gets even easier the more you do it, I promise.) There's no such thing as an outsider, an eves-dropper or an uninvited guest at FriedOkra.   I'm thrilled to have you, and I love to hear from and respond to everyone (with the obvious exclusion of creeps), no matter how you got here.








Y'all can subscribe to FriedOkra's feed here.

6 comments:

  1. all so super cute, you could make burlap look good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The last outfit is my favorite for sure. So perfect. I am craving some animal print shoes--flats or heels, haven't decided.

    I like the second outfit best with the pumps more than the boots. The boots seemed a little clunky for the rest of the outfit (also I am obsessed with shoes, as I'm sure you realize by now).

    White and denim is my favorite classic combination. I am forever on the hunt for the just right white shirt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. SUPER Cute! Wow I love your style! I found you from the Pleated Poppy. Here's my less-than-inspired link up today:
    http://www.royaldaughterdesigns.com/2012/01/what-i-wore-little-blacksweater.html

    You did great, I'll definitely be back!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just wanted to tell you that you look adorable. I especially love the second and fourth outfits but you look great in all of them. Thanks for sharing- you're inspiring me to put some more effort into what I wear- and my 40-something self could use a little inspiration! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great outfits! Love those oxford booties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yep they are fun! Little hard to walk in, in the snow, but you know ... small sacrifices! :)

      Delete

Thoughts?