Pages

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Applesauce Spice Cake with Caramel Glaze


My kids LOVE applesauce. Jar after 72 ounce jar of it. Scoop, heat, cinnamonize, stir, serve, eat, repeat repeat repeat ... UNTIL... They are ALLDONE with applesauce and the next time I get it out to serve, Peabody looks at me and sobs out, "But I don't like-a eat da ah-oo-saush, Mama," and Bean quietly walks away shaking her head.

(I do not do this with applesauce, but I do do it with shoes.)

(No, I don't eat shoes. I wear them.)

(And wear them and wear them and wear them until one day I look at them and walk away quietly, shaking my head.)

And I never know when that point is coming with the applesauce. Except that it pretty much always happens right after I've opened a gigantic new jar. And thus, I have to think of things to do with what's left of the applesauce before it grows downy soft blue fur and slinks upstairs to sleep at the foot of my bed at night.

Hence:

Applesauce Spice Cake

Ingredients:

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1 3/4 cups white sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 1/2 cups unsweetened applesauce (or use sweetened applesauce and reduce the sugar to one cup.)
2 eggs

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350°. Sift together flour, baking soda, salt, baking powder, and spices. Add sugar and stir to mix. Add butter and buttermilk and stir slowly to mix. Add applesauce and eggs, then mix on med-high for two minutes. Pour into greased and floured 9 x 13" pan and bake for 45-50 minutes. Once cooled, top with a dusting of confectioner's sugar or drizzle with caramel glaze below.

Caramel Glaze

Ingredients:

4 T. butter
pinch salt
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup cream or half and half
1/4 tsp. vanilla extract

Directions:

In a small saucepan, melt butter slowly. Add salt and sugar and stir to combine. Cook, stirring for 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir in cream and vanilla until smooth and combined. Allow to cool before pouring over cake.

I don't actually glaze my whole cake because Al is not a caramel fan (say wha???). I serve the slices individually drizzled with the sauce. I also let the kids dip apple slices in the caramel sauce. And I dip my apple slices in it too. And then I conveniently run out of apples and get out a spoon. In my very well-researched opinion, that's the best way to eat this sauce.

Enjoy!

(P.S. I'm sorry Dad.)

(My Dad is diabetic and can't eat this stuff, so when I post a recipe for something sweet, I get an email from him that generally involves the word "TORTURE.")

(Sorry again, Dad.)






Y'all can subscribe to FriedOkra's feed here.

3 comments:

  1. What's wrong with Al??? And I think a spoon is the best delivery mechanism for the caramel too. The apples just fill you up so you don't have as much room for the caramel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw the recipe, drooled, pinned it, and then made it. It is SO.GOOD. No, really. It is. I'm trying to rationalize having leftover cake for breakfast. It has applesauce. It's totally healthy...right?

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts?