Pages

Monday, August 15, 2011

Undid

Photobucket

I was comin' here to say:

{They're inside this lovely, shaded tree house, eating a picnic lunch together. I can't hear what they're saying, but every now and again the wind blows a gust of their conversation to me where I sit watching them from the kitchen table.

And they're sharing a Hershey bar for dessert.

And I am their Mom.}


... with a lump in my throat, recognizing the beauty of their childish joy in such simple things, cherishing the just ... everything of the moment.

But now?

They're bickering and crying over a broken doll stroller and I just spent 15 minutes trying to get half a bottle of red this stuff, which Peabody ripped open and squirted while I was cooing away about their wonderfulness to myself, out of my beige family room carpet, and all the remnants of their picnic are still sittin' out there in the back yard, baking in the sun, forgotten and unthanked.

And so I'm not sayin' it.







Y'all can subscribe to FriedOkra's feed here.

13 comments:

  1. Parenting is quite the dichotomy, and you captured it perfectly. As always, beautifully done. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! Yeah. The bickering. The yanking. The shrieking. Motherhood at it's best. Good luck with all of that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes - I remember the days!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our whole summer has been like that! But that's what siblings are for - fighting, playing, fighting, playing...enjoy it while you can! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my word, YES - this is my LIFE - and mine are only 3 & 1!!! My 3 year old is SO mean to his sister ALL the time & it is the WORST thing!!! Anyhow, I'm sorry your day took a turn for the worse! :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. This post pretty much sums up all of motherhood in a few concise paragraphs. I want to FRAME it and hang it on my wall.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yep. Even the "big kids" do this. One moment they are complete angels, including everyone and loving each other. The next minute they are bickering like crazy and totally ungrateful for everything. Time for school to start!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh this sounds so familiar. My two can be playing so nicely together and then 10 minutes later they are fighting. It is so frustrating, but I have to admit I was exactly the same with my little sister. We would play together then start fighting. Now I know how my mother felt, poor woman!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well isn't that our life? The sweet and the frustrating and the in between? Love this whole post. So real.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just love you...not ashamed to say it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've had a very similar experience. Probably all moms have. Still makes you want to pinch their little heads off though, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts?