Pages

Monday, March 7, 2011

Sundae.

Photobucket

Okay so technically it's a banana split. Work with me here, people.

Late yesterday afternoon, after holding Peabody for an hour and a half while he slept, Al made us all these gorgeous piled-high iced-cream treats which were every bit as delicious as they look and then some. I ended up licking my bowl clean because OHMYGRANNY, y'all: If there's anything in the world more perfectly coolish warm, strawberry-chocolate, creamy smooth and heaven-sent than banana split pot licker, I dare you to bring it to me next time you're in town.

Really, please do!

Anyway, the rest of our weekend trickled by on a laughing river of silliness, joy and peace, and I already miss being able to look up into or across at or over on Al's face whenever I feel like it.

The new cozy room lived up to its name and it feels like a family-member in itself somehow, calling to us in different rooms until we wander into its arms and sink into its soft, warm glow like a Mama-lap. We read books and watched movies there, and played half a card game and scattered marbles and danced and played horsey and I even got a foot rub from Bean. It lasted about nine seconds, but I'll take what I can get.

I'm filled with joy by these together days, and take not a moment of them for granted anymore. Life's shown me, not-so-gently of late, that times of simplicity and shoulders-unburdened and this happy, careless uneventfulness - which could be mistaken by some (but not me!) for boredom - can and do vanish, and so a family this blessed to just Be, Now, should cherish and savour them for the delicious treat that they are.

And so I do.

--------------

I love to post inspirational quotes on Facebook - those of you who have friended me there know this. I found this one yesterday and thought I'd share it with all of you. Perfect thought for a Monday, don't you think?

Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

I hope you had a wonderful weekend, and that Monday treats you with as much civility as a rogue day like Monday can muster.





Y'all can subscribe to FriedOkra's feed here.

3 comments:

  1. Ooh, I love that quote! I may have to post it on my FB sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great quote and - you are right - perfect for this Monday. 'Finish each day and be done with it.' That's my favorite part.
    Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Al sure makes a good lookin sundae!

    I totally agree about not taking the small, simple things for granted. Life is mostly about those small, simple, everyday things (if we're lucky).

    I love Ralph Waldo Emerson!

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts?