Pages

Saturday, January 1, 2011

My Life, +1

Photobucket

My mother wrote this simple equation in the sand one afternoon this past October on our annual trip to the Isle of Palms, South Carolina.

Megan = Mom + Daughter + Sister + Wife she carved out, her hands quietly, thoughtfully etching the tale and value of my adult life there on the beach, me standing beside her, looking down at it, not a word spoken until long moments after she'd dropped her driftwood pen and looked back out at the water. Simple gesture, simple words, enormous meaning. A pivotal moment of reflection and renewal in the life of a girl gone woman in the time (it felt) it takes for a breaking wave to wash away a such a ponderous shoreline message.

(I would add to my tale and value + Friend.)

In 2011 my one wish is just to place my days' work, my mind's focus, my heart's purpose into the addends of this equation and have the sum be a better me: ever more present, more a blessing, more an example, more a source of joy, peace and light to those I love and serve and count as my own blessings.

And to be more real, more honestly Megan, more naturally giving, more freely-flowing out the talents and unique gifts my Father wrote into His original formula for Me.

Happy New Year.



Y'all can subscribe to FriedOkra's feed here.

6 comments:

  1. That's beautiful! I think that's a great equation to start the year with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely beautiful. I want that, too.

    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is beautiful. Happy New Year, dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds a lot like my thoughts for the new year. My word is "better." Haven't written about it yet, but I will soon. Thanks for more inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  5. YOU....are fabulous....and it appears...so is your mother! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this - what a great goal for all of us! *hugs*

    I won't have much time to be blog hopping the next few months, but please know I'll be praying for your family and for your nephew's recovery.

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts?