Pages

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Confounded

So, I've been MIA for awhile.

You will hug me first before I start talking, yes?

Aaaah. Thank you. Can't seem to get enough hugs these days.

So. Now I will dig right in.

After a week or so of my 8 year old nephew not feeling well, last Saturday my sister took him to the hospital. Upon examining him and diagnosing congestive heart failure, doctors sent him via helicopter to a nearby children's hospital for treatment and further evaluation. After draining fluid from his lungs and around his heart and getting him stabilized and comfortable, doctors set about the task of discovering what was behind these symptoms.

After two days of testing, doctors told my sister and brother-in-law that my nephew has Texas Precursor T-cell ALL (Acute Lymphocytic Leukemia), which is a genetic form of cancer that effects the blood and/or bone marrow, and that has led to the formation of a large mass in his chest that involves his heart, lungs and windpipe.

Treatment began yesterday with the installation of a port in the little guy's chest, and the administration of the first round of chemo drugs. Our boy is in good spirits and acting like his normal self, according to his Mom and Dad. He's eating, watching movies, reading, and joking around with the nursing staff and he's had a few visitors, even.

We'd love to have your prayers for our boy's comfort and healing, and strength and peace for his whole family including the grandparents on both sides, and especially my other nieces and nephews, along with wisdom for Owen's doctors and nurses.

I'm probably not going to be talking much about my nephew's condition and treatment here on the blog in order to respect my sister's family's privacy, but I know you guys will pray with us even if you don't know every particular every day.

Here's who you'll be praying for and thinking about.

Photobucket

We are all hanging in there. My sister and brother-in-law are tired and overwhelmed but thankful to have a diagnosis and a plan of attack. My Mom can't go be with them because she just had back surgery, as you'll recall. I know this frustrates and saddens her, and I'm certain my Dad is aching with a similar feeling of helplessness and grief. Al says he has never been so sad in his life, but he's doing beautiful job of just BEING AL for me, which is exactly what I need. I haven't said too much to Bean about her cousin, but I do plan on filling her in on some simple details so that she can begin to share in helping keep his spirits up.

As for me? People keep asking me, "How are YOU?" Even my sister, bless her heart, asked me that. And the answer is?

I. DON'T. KNOW.

And I really don't CARE how I'm doing, if that makes any sense at all.

I'm staying busy. I'm praying. I'm doing what I can do from here, even though I'd much rather be there. My big prayer, besides to ask for healing for my nephew, is that God will help me do whatever I can do to alleviate some of the burden and hurt and worry and fear from my sister and brother-in-law's shoulders. Oh, and I've also prayed that God would divide my cells and make two of me, one to stay and take care of my family, and one to go help take care of my sister's, but so far, He's not done that. I think He may have thought I was kidding. GOD? NOT KIDDING!

But He has been so faithful in providing many good, loving family, friends, and neighbors to do what needs to be done for them, so I'm letting Him get by with that for now.

Honestly? This is the first time I've thought about how I am. I guess I'm trying hard not to dig too deeply into my own mind right now, because what good does that do anyone?

I am POSITIVE that my nephew is right where he needs to be, getting exactly the right treatments and care, and that he will FULLY RECOVER from this disease. I truly believe that. (You believe it along with me, okay?) I HATE what he'll go through to get there, and I can't even think about my sister and how this must all feel to her -- watching her child go through this -- without falling completely apart. I both love and hate how easily I can relate and go there with her in my own mind. A rare blessing-curse of motherhood and sisterhood, I guess.

And I know that I've told y'all over and over again what amazingly wonderful friends and neighbors I have been blessed with, but I have to say once again that the women I've come to know over my lifetime, whether I've known them since childhood or just met them a few years ago, are absolute angels. They are rallying around all of us, even though most of them have NEVER EVEN MET MY SISTER or her family, and I can't even express the gratitude I feel for everything they are doing/have done/are planning to do for them. (And me.) If you are one of these people in my life, let me tell you now, I love you and admire you appreciate you more than you will ever know, my heart is too, too full, and I will never be able to put it into words. EVEN ME! NOT ENOUGH WORDS!

That's all I have for now. Thanks for listening, my friends!



Y'all can subscribe to FriedOkra's feed here.

32 comments:

  1. I've read your blog for some time now but I haven't commented in forever...please know that I am strong believer in prayer and in God! I'm sorry to hear of this sad news for your family, but please know that I will be lifting him, your sister and your entire family in prayer! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many, many prayers, good thoughts, vibes, etc. for Owen, his parents and family and YOU.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry to hear your family is going through this. I will certainly be praying for your nephew, along with the rest of the family.
    I'm glad you have such a great support system around you. Has it occurred to you that you have such amazing friends because you, yourself are amazing? It's true!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This hits me like a ton of bricks. I'm so sorry and I'll be praying, praying, praying.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Megan - prayers are being lifted up right now. As a mother, my heart aches for your sister. "My God is so great, so strong and so mighty, there's nothing My God cannot do!"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my honey I'm so sorry to hear that :(
    Sending a ton of love and hugs to you, your sister and your families, and lots of healing thoughts and White light to your nephew!
    Thinking of you all xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's been kind of a rough start to the year, hasn't it? Well, nevermind that. I'm so thankful that you have Al to be Al, Bean to be Bean, and Peabody to be Peabody for you. And I'm thankful that your sister and nephew have Megan to be Megan for them. :o)
    I will certainly be in prayer for them, for his healing, for their strength and courage and stamina, and for you to figure out ways to feel like you are doing something to help them even from far, far away.
    (Does he need a little snuggly fleece blanket from a special auntie?)
    I love you, Megan, and I'm so sorry you are hurting. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sending my love, prayers, and a few tears as I read this. I'm so glad you have a great support system . . . I just love it when people become the arms of Jesus wrapped around us.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Praying and trusting in the Great Physician to do His good work in Owen.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I will be praying here in the UK and will let my prayer partners know too, Megan. Praying for your nephew, his family, and you especially. Stay strong.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So Sad to hear of this in such a young life, but that is a positive for him. He is young and can fight this battle. God will be there with him, and your family all the way through.. and He places people in our path to ease the load.. Praying for healing and Drs wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So SO many prayers being sent your nephews way!! Much love and many MANY hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Prayer offered for your nephew and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am so sorry. I have no words. That beautiful boy having cancer is just too much. I will pray for Owen, your family and you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Never met you in person, but (((hugs))). So difficult!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So sorry to hear about your troubles! My thoughts are with you and your Nephew!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well, I don't even know what to say. That just seems so shocking. I will be lifting all of you in prayer as often as I remember (which may be more on some days than others). It is hard to be away from people you love when you want to help. So prayer is the only answer, as it knows no time, no place, no distance. I'm sorry your family is going through this trial.

    ReplyDelete
  19. So, so, SO many hugs, friend Megan. SO many prayers for complete healing and restoration for your nephew. You know if I were there, we would be hugging and crying and laughing and hoping and believing. (I'll go ahead and do the hoping and believing from where I sit.)

    ReplyDelete
  20. First - hugs for Megan!

    Second - praying now for your nephew, your sister, you and your families.

    Have read your blog for a while - first time (I think) to comment.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Praying for your nephew and the whole family
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  22. Praying for your sweet nephew and all the rest of you.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh Megan! I'm so sorry to read this! I'm praying for Owen, and for all of you. When I pray, his siblings are particularly on my heart - how are they doing? Oh I wish so much that this wasn't happening to Owen! It's too awful :( Thank you for posting about it, so we can be praying! I feel like I need to say a ton more, but I really just have no words. Thinking of you! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  24. I just read this today and my heart goes out to you and your family. I will be praying for Owen and his doctors to find just the right treatment for him. Praying for your sister and family as they go through all this. Praying for you as I'm sure it's hard to be so far away from those who are so precious to you.

    God is still God, and God is still good....whether you are in the sunshine, or in the storm!

    ReplyDelete
  25. That makes me sick. I'm so sorry.

    Here's an electronic hug for you, dear lady. {{{hug}}}

    Praying.

    Nate's Mom

    ReplyDelete
  26. I am so sorry about your nephew! I will definitely keep you all in my thoughts, and have Kent add you to his prayers. It is good that your sister has such a wonderful support system, I can't even imagine how hard it must be on her and her husband. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  27. oh my heavens....much love to you and your family. I simply can not comprehend. somethings in life just don't make sense. :(

    hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  28. This makes my heart ache, Megan. He is a precious, precious little boy! Will be praying for him and agreeing with you in prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I will be praying for healing for Owen, for wisdom for the doctors, for peace for the family and for rest for everyone involved.

    Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Praying for your sweet nephew and sister and family. What a tough time for your family right now.

    ReplyDelete
  31. My heart has just been heavy over this post ever since I first read it, friend. I will pray for your sweet sister and nephew (and the whole family). May God be faithful to show off His glory in this heart-wrenching situation. May Owen see God work, so he is changed. And may you all feel an unexplainable peace that God is in control, even (especially) now.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh, Megan, so heartbreaking! Thanks for sharing- I will be praying for your precious nephew and your family as you all help him however you can.

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts?