Pages

Sunday, December 26, 2010

Red and Green, Then Not-Quite Blue

Usually I truly love a day like tomorrow. A little-bitty starting-over of a day. A hint of a new beginning-ish thing. The first Monday after a holiday, a vacation (a staycation, but still), and even though school doesn't start back for a week, there's still a return to normalcy.

And I'm the kind of person who thrives on that. It's like a pivot-point back to sanity and productivity for me. I like routine. I like order. I like freshness and blank-canvasness. I like looking forward to what lies ahead.

Usually.

But this time?

Oy, I hope I wake up tomorrow in a different place than I am in right now. Because tonight?

Wow. I'm just not ready.

For the snow-globe magic to fade.

For Al to go back to work. All day, all week.

For that "it's (already!) over" feeling to set in.

For taking the decorations down. (I'm not one who can't wait to get rid of them, are you? I love the warmth and coziness they give our home.)

For no more sweet family pictures and holiday wishes in my mailbox.

For breakfast, lunch, dinner, wash, fold, clean, dry, wipe, sweep, lather, rinse, repeat.

For the low-carb/high protein diet that always comes after the carb-binge of holiday food. (Even though I know it'll make me feel so much better.)

Just not ready.

I wouldn't call it the post-holiday blues.

It's more like the can't-we-postpone-the-post-holiday ... um .... purples?

Photobucket


Y'all can subscribe to FriedOkra's feed here.

2 comments:

  1. Today was the first day there were no Christmas cards in our mailbox. Sniff. And I hate taking our Christmas tree and decorations down, too. But, as I remind my kids, that's one reason it's such a special season -- because it's only for a time. Sniff.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts?