Pages

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Not Forever in the Snow Globe, But for Now.

Al took this week off from work.

It's the first time he's taken any significant time off around the holidays since we were married. I've been looking forward to this week since sometime back in the summer, when he surprised me with the news one evening while we were sitting in the kitchen together having just put the kids to bed for the night.

It's just big, to me.

Sometimes in my life, I've looked at Christmas as if through a window. Standing outside, watching and wishing for whatever that magic was that everyone else seemed to feel, but I didn't, or couldn't. Like shaking a snow globe, watching the snow fall on the little cottage with the fence and the smiling snowman out front. Wanting to climb inside.

I know that my husband felt that way many more times than I did.

And I also know that there are people right now who feel that way. Most of us go through those times in our lives. This is not a perfect world and there are no perfect people.

And there is sadness. Of course there is sadness. And loneliness. Brokenness. No one escapes to the other side of that window completely or forever.

But we took a train ride today, the four of us, on this Tuesday before Christmas, and got off at a white-roofed brick station. Bean and I wore matching boots, and we tromped together in a scene made movie-set perfect overnight by a fresh snow that covered sidewalks and rooftops and frosted every tree limb and windowsill.

I just held her small hand.

We walked around town for a bit and landed at a table by the window in a warm cafe, carols playing, the kids singing along to Jingle Bells.

And Al looked at me and said this:

"We live in that snow globe right now, Mama."


Photobucket



Y'all can subscribe to FriedOkra's feed here.

11 comments:

  1. This is so touching, Megan. And I love the picture. Glad you had a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful photo and post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute...both post and photo...love you guys...and Merry Christmas!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sweet. And thanks. I needed the reminder that I'm kinda living in that snow glove right now, too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely love that picture! What a gorgeous family in that snow globe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the whole thing. Especially the shirts. Please share where you found the awesome.

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I did okay until that last line, coupled with that gorgeous photo... now my eyes are all misty. Darn it! ;)

    Those shirts are fantastic, where did you get them?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks everyone! The shirts were made by a friend who has an embroidery business. I saw the idea in a catalog and asked her to make similar shirts for us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness, friend.

    Love that photo.

    And Jeff was off last week, too. It was fabulous.

    Steph

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts?