I snapped at the kids about a million times this morning and in between, I was sarcastic and snotty. I haven't even the thinnest veneer of patience today. Heck, I've been employing Preemptive Snark with them before they even do or say ANYTHING.
BECAUSE I KNOW WHAT'S COMIN' NEXT, AND I AIN'T PUTTIN' UP WITH IT TODAY, YOU LITTLE TURKEYS!
And I really hate myself for that. I've apologized, but even the apologies have been that kind of a put-out, irritated, because-I-know-I-have-to I'm sorry I .... but you two are just (insert mean accusation here) today apologies. The kind of apology that adds insult to injury, really.
My kids deserve better. My family deserves better. I hate hating myself, and even *I* deserve better!
So I need an instant!! attitude!! adjustment!! As in NOW! I've decided how to do it, too.
I'm writing quick list of great things about this day (great ALREADY! And it's only 9:00! That I already have great things happening so early on a Tuesday is a great thing in and of itself.)
WHICH CAME FIRST? THE GREAT THINGS OR THE GREAT THING LIST? I don't know! Let's ponder, shall we?
No! Let's NOT waste time pondering. Let's make a list.
You add some too.
We'll make us a huge GREAT THINGS ABOUT TODAY list together. How many things can we get on here by noon? By 3 PM? By dinnertime? I bet if all 475(ish) subscribers add ONE GREAT THING about today, we can start a movement! A GREAT THINGS ABOUT TODAY MOVEMENT. Y'all in?
Here are mine:
1. My friend Katie sent me an email today to ask for support in getting together Christmas gifts for 117 local kids. And I (we) have things we can give them. Responses started flying in the minute (almost) she sent out the email.
2. The sun is shining. And it is GORGEOUS out there, beaming away, like it doesn't have a care in the world. Like it has no idea how FRIGGIN' COLD IT IS. I adore how sun and shadow work together on freshly fallen snow. It appeals to my love for order and perfection. The lines of a suncast shadow on smooth white snow are amazingly crisp and perfect.
3. The cookies I baked for the neighborhood cookie exchange came out beautifully. They still need their frosting, but I've NEVER had a batch of sugar cookies come out so well. I found a great new recipe courtesy of The Pioneer Woman (and a great new blog to read, too!). These cookies came out thick, crunchy on the outside, chewy on the inside, prefectly smooth and a pale, creamy color. Stacked in perfect silos in a cake-taker, they also appeal to my love for order and perfection, but in such a sweet and charming way.
4. It's Sanity Tuesday and I'm not hosting, which means I don't have to make lunch today AND I get to hang with my girls for a little while mid-day. And of all days, today is perfect for Sanity Tuesday.
5. Matthew has school today. And I should maybe miss him, but he's been cooped up in this house for DAYS because of the cold and the snow and DUDE! He needs to get out of here and AWAY FROM ME for a few hours. Desperately!
6. I have pictures and recipes to post from our neighborhood's progressive party last Saturday night, and even though I know y'all won't comment, I know you're going to love seeing them, and maybe you'll find a recipe or two you wanna try during the holiday season, and to know that I've helped out in some way or given somebody an exciting reason to get into the kitchen and have some fun? Well, that's all I can ask.
7. Yesterday was Al's and my SEVENTH anniversary. We have now officially both been married to one another longer than we were married to our first spouses, and for some reason, that makes us both very, very happy. I love being in love with that man!
And that's a good one to end upon! Y'all add yours!