Pages

Friday, December 31, 2010

It's Beginning to Look a Lot Like Crazy

First, thank you dear sweet friends for going there so supportively with me when I had to get all "heal the world... make it a better pla-a-a-ace " for a day or two. And it's not that I'm not all "heal the world" anymore, it's that I've got a more pressing concern right now which is OHMYGRANNY, these small critters need to get up outta here and off me for a little while.

SHEW. Lawsy mercy, it's times like these I thank God I came to my senses a few moments after Peabody was born and kicked my plans to homeschool to the proverbial curb. I know y'all know I love these varmints my adorable, angelic children, so I'm not even gonna go there with a preamble-ish, qualifying clause. I'm just going to lay it out there, bare and unadorned: IT IS TIME FOR SCHOOL TO START BACK. Because if I have to go potty with a kid on my lap and a kid sitting on my feet just one more time? If I have to stretch my arm around not one but TWO pajama-clad houligans to get my coffee mug to my mouth of a morning, I'm going to STRIKE MIDNIGHT and tiny little birds are gonna shoot outta my eye sockets on springs squawking CUCKOO! CUCKOO!

When I was a kid, my parents used to play the old vinyl record of Nat King Cole's Christmas album and he'd be singin' "It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like Christmas" and the line that goes, "... and Moms and Dads can hardly wait for school to start again!"'d come on, and I'd be all sensitive and get my feelings hurt. And now I'm all grown up and have kids of my own and I bought Nat King Cole's Christmas album on iTunes and when I hear that line I think, "I coulda totally WRITTEN that particular bar of music."

NAT KING COLE YOU GET OUT MY BRAIN!

And now, to deflect the "bad mother" death-rays all pointed in my direction, I'll show you pictures of the fabulous tea party we had here yesterday for Bean and her friends and their American Girl dolls. Inside, I may be pulling my hair out, but outwardly? Y'all can rest assured I'm still June Cleaver with a big old floppy Martha Stewart hand-woven, meticulously-tied bow secured tightly around my neck!

Oh. Did that sound a little bit crazy?

Photobucket

I'd dreamed up the tea party idea before Christmas when I had a hunch ol' Santa was bringing Bean her new doll, Lily. Did y'all ever read A Doll's Christmas by Tasha Tudor? Sweetest. Book. EVER. It was one of my very favorite stories as a little girl, and in it, the main characters, two little girls about Bean's age and their dolls, Sethany Ann and Nicey Melinda, host a big Christmas party for all of their cousins and friends. It's darling. I wanted to recreate a bit of the magic that story holds for Bean and her friends.

I also thought it might hold the additional benefit of keeping us all from killing each other.

Photobucket

'Course our tea-party had a modern twist - I sent out the invitations via eVite and the RSVPs came back via email on my phone. I think that whole concept would've blown Sethany Ann and Nicey Melinda right outta their freshly-starched pinafores, but other than that, we kept it simple and home-made just like it was way back when.

Photobucket

Photobucket
Miley, Rosie and Lily discussed literature over their tea. The big girls discussed The Sweet Life of Zack and Cody.

We drank tea (pink lemonade) out of my twenty-sumpm-year-old pink tea pot and tea cups (the dolls used tiny cups and saucers and the girls got bigger ones), we ate cupcakes and gum drops and party mix. Then we got out the glue and felt and beads and scissors (or as Peabody calls them, SHI-SHERS!), and we made snowmen. The big girls made big snowmen out of foam balls, and the dolls made their own diminutive frosty creations, with a bit of help, using small white pom-poms.

Photobucket
The lovely Lily with her snowbaby.

Photobucket
They look like they're about to burst into an a capella version of The Candy Man. Who can take a rainbow ...

And after the girls all left with their dolls and their snowmen, I cleaned up, and as I wiped counters and picked sticky plastic jewels out of carpet and vacuumed up party mix and cupcake crumbs, my darling child looked at me and said, "I'm bo-o-o-ored! What are we doing next, MOM?"

Preach it, Nat!

(And Happy New Year, y'all!)



Y'all can subscribe to FriedOkra's feed here.

10 comments:

  1. There are about 500 times during the day that I wish I didn't homeschool! Don't feel bad. I think that either way we mom's get a little (or a lot) antsy for some peace and quiet. I totally have to fight for sitting on the toilet by myself everyday. Especially since I can't trust the little buggers to stay out of trouble for the minute I need to myself. What a lovely tea party. I just started doing those with my 3 and 2 year old. They LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think you should feel guilty at all about wanting the kids to go back to school. I know I feel that way too sometimes (moreso when they were younger, I will admit). You're just normal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so funny - and a wonderful Mom too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I'm going to STRIKE MIDNIGHT and tiny little birds are gonna shoot outta my eye sockets on springs squawking CUCKOO! CUCKOO!"...

    I think this has actually happened to me...it may or may not have been yesterday! LOL! (Not funny at the time!)

    Yeah, I'm ready for school to start back...YESTERDAY!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can you believe the little ones actually have the audacity to say "I'm bored" after parades, parties and fanfare of any sort? I threw ava a birthday party last night (hopefully to be posted soon) and this morning I wake up feeling like I had been hit by a Mack truck, and before I had even had one sip of coffee she had the nerve to say, "Mommy, will you play Gator Golf?". Its a wonder I remained calm...particularly after I did play...and proceeded to open every new toy one right after the other, only to receive more requests (insert inhale). Needless to say, I felt today for every mother who has ever thrown a party (way more man power than party time) only to find it didn't suffice the child's insatiable desire for mental stimulation. Heaven help, I'm worn out just thinking about it again.

    Wish I had been at the doll tea...looks like so much fun!!! Glad it was you throwing it...not me. (But I'm sure soon...cause its too cute of an idea not to replicate when little A is older.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are marvelous! As a retired elementary school teacher, I can tell you that parents were always so happy to see the end of the holidays. As teachers, we were over the moon excited about the beginning of the holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my word you are one awesome momma. My girls wanted a "winter party" and I never got around to doing it. I did remind them that with six kids in our house it was kind of like always having a party. They didn't buy it.

    And amen to the homeschooling. I could do it if it was the only option for our family, but I know I am not called to do it. I admire my friends who are and I support them and that is all.

    My kids go back to school Tuesday and we are all ready. I'll be down to 3 at home and that will seem easy. Which is startling and crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A to the men.

    My older kids go back to school tomorrow. I AM READY. I cringe a little, just acknowledging that. But at the same time, I think it's just our reality. Parenting young ones is EXHAUSTING. I'm ready to get back to some routine -- and that includes school and naps and Target trips and making lunches.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Preach it, Nat! HHaaaa. You're great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I also love Tasha Tudor, but I don't think I've ever read that book. I'll have to look for it.

    That looks like a very fun tea party. Way to go mom!

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts?