Pages

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Always Did Get My Best Ideas While Up to My Neck in Bubbles

My college friends used to call me Wally the Walrus.

This is because as an English major, I had a modestly estimated 416 papers due every week, and even way back then, I secluded myself in the bathtub to write. Things just flowed better there. And I guess they still do.

Which is why the other night I was soaking away in a tubful of Bath and BodyWorks Aromatherapy Energy Orange Ginger Foam Bath, an idea just popped into my head.

(Aside) "Just popped into my head" is a phrase that gets a considerable amount of air time in our household since the day last summer when Al and Nana and the kids and I went and visited my Grandmama and Granddaddy Clover at the "retirement village," and we stepped off the elevator to find the two of them sittin' out in the common area as if they were waitin' for us, even though they had no idea we were coming. We walked over to them and they looked us over carefully, and it was a little bit awkward but then all of a sudden, Grandaddy Clover (who has Alzheimers pretty badly now) fired off, "AL FRIEDOKRA!" And my husband jumped a little and said, "Yes, yes, that's me, Mr. Clover," and Granddaddy smiled his great big wide smile that always makes ME smile, and he explained earnestly and with no small amount of surprise in his voice, "I don't know how I know your name - it just popped into my head." And everybody laughed until we were wheezing and wiping tears out of our eyes.

So now, at random intervals, Al'll just randomly shoot out an "AL FRIEDOKRA! I don't know how I know your name. It just popped into my head," and then we burst into laughter all over again.

I do not fully understand it, myself, but I think it may have been one of those "You have to laugh to keep from cryin'" things. You know what I mean? (/Aside.)

Anyway, bein' a direct descendent of Granddaddy Clover and all that, I guess I inherited the "It just popped into my head gene," so as I was splashin' away merrily in a cloud of Orange Ginger bliss a few nights ago, all of a sudden, two and a half years into my bloggin' life, a random thought hit me BANG UPSIDE THE HEAD from out of the blue.

It's a tag line, people. Which I have sworn since day one I would never-ever have, not because I have a personal grudge against tag lines, because I surely do not. On the contrary I think tag lines are as charmin' as a duck on a junebug. I just didn't think I'd ever have a tag line because a tag line might indicate to the random reader who might pop by that I had arrived at, you know, some actual purpose for filling up page after loquacious page of internetty acreage. Which I think we can all agree is simply not the case. If there's one thing I am, it's careful always to remain fully and firmly convicted in the purposelessness of my ramblings. And I would never want to mislead anyone into believing I'm actually ever planning on making an actual point. That would be inauthentic!

And yet, people.

It just popped into my head.

And once it did, I knew. My tag linear destiny had arrived in spite of me. Like the old saying about love - how you can't find it by chasing it, you just gotta sit still and let it find you? (They do say that about love, don't they?) (Maybe I made that up. It did work for me, though!) But anyway, it just popped into my head, I am happy to report that it is plenty vague enough that I don't feel the least bit confined or restricted by it. We can co-exist happily, me and my tag line, and best of all, with this tag line, FriedOkra can maintain its strict adherence to its Absolutely and Uncategorically No Purpose or Point Whatsoever policy.

And there it is, up there, by the porch swing, under the okra.

My Shiny New Tag Line!!

(If you put your nose to the screen and sniff really hard, you can still smell orange ginger bath foam.)

What do y'all think?




Y'all can subscribe to FriedOkra's feed here.

25 comments:

  1. Describes your blog perfectly...congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It fits so well, I thought it had always been there! And I DO smell the orange ginger bath foam!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me likey. However, the post to actaully describe your journey to the tag line is priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! It introduces you without tying you down.

    Hooray for bubble baths!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everything about this post (and your tagline to0) makes me smile. =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll repeat the others: Perfection. It's just perfection.

    (I don't know why I said that. It just popped into my head.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aha! Last time I read this post the tagline wasn't up there yet so I was very confused :-S
    Now I see it! Good line :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it! But ohmygranny your ramblings sometimes leave me with a smidge of a headache LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. p.s. I just found $15 in my wallet that I didn't know I had, so I'm using $5 to share Chinese with my Megan and $10 for your walk.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are definitely from the South, girl! It always takes me 10 minutes to explain a 5 second story, too! So I think the tag is a perfect fit for you.
    Honestly, when I got to the end of the post, I had to scroll back up to see it. It looked so natural there I didn't even notice it at first.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love it and the way it just popped into your head. I'm going to go take a bath now!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't know how to compete with the comment above mine! I just wanted to say the tagline is perfect. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's poetry. I miss you and Al Friedokra.

    ReplyDelete
  14. nice. i likey! i love your sense of humor- wish i could be funny like that!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's totally you & I LOVE it!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Perfect tag. It's funny, but I can't read your blog without the voice in my head having a southern accent.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love it! I too read your blog with an accent running through my head, so it is perfect!

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts?