Pages

Friday, January 29, 2010

Pickled Tink!

I am, you know. Tickled pink, I mean.

Eighteen days ago, I nervously shared some big news here. Eighteen days ago, I timidly stepped out on what I thought was a spindly, shaky little limb and asked for support in my fight against breast cancer. Eighteen days ago, I wondered if I was right about what we could do together.

Today, those same eighteen days later, I'm not wondering any more. This is one strong, proud, sturdy limb I'm on.

Together we've raised over $600 in 18 days.

I'm FLOORED. Delighted. Humbled. Ecstatic. Grateful.

And most of all ... the very most of all ... I am so, so honored.

As the contributions have come in, you've told me about the loved ones in your lives who have fought breast cancer. And I see now why walking in the 3-Day is SUCH an emotional experience. It's because it turns out that crossing the finish line on day three isn't about the walker herself (or himself) it's about the women - the Moms, the aunts, the sisters, the best friends and their Moms, the sisters-in-law, the grandmother of 3 - all those women who are loved and carried in the hearts of their families and friends, that are, in response to these donations, carried in the very heart of the one doing the walking.

So far, I'll be carrying nearly a dozen of these amazing women in my heart and dancing with them across that finish line. And that's so far the BIG AHA I've had as I've begun this journey. I'm not raising funds and walking for a cause - I'm doing it for real people, ladies (and one man, even!) that I'm coming to know and love through you. And that, my friends, makes this whole experience come alive for me.

I'm so thankful to those who have donated and shared stories for entrusting me with the chance to love and honor your friends and family members in this journey. They're women and lives that deserve the honor, each and every one of them and I am so proud to do it!

February will be a new month of fundraising for me, and I'm setting a personal goal of another $600 by the 28th. It's tax filing time and I'm hoping that before you've got your tax refund check spent, you'll earmark a bit of it for the Susan G. Komen 3-Day for the Cure. The widget on my left side bar will take you directly to my personal donation page on the 3-Day website. If you don't like donating on-line, you'll find a link at the bottom of my page that opens a PDF form you can mail directly to the Susan G. Komen 3-Day.

If there's a woman in your life who's fought breast cancer, tell her how much she means to you with a donation AND tell me about her in the comments section below. I want to know her and I want to bring her with me on this walk.

I'm also looking for donations of some specific items for upcoming silent auctions and raffles. If you or someone you know would be willing to donate any of these items (or anything else, by th way!), my team and I would be so grateful and in some cases if you so desired, I'd be happy to help promote your business here on FriedOkra and on my team blog cureorbust.com.

Here are a few specific items I'm looking for:

  • beautiful, handmade jewelry
  • high-end cookware
  • high-end kitchen gadgets
  • gourmet foods, herbs, spices, seasonings, etc.
  • cooking lessons in the Chicago area
  • gourmet cooking, dining or wine magazine subscriptions
  • trips or plane tickets for raffles
  • other items for raffles or silent auctions

Thanks for coming along with me on this journey, friends. I really believe we're in for an amazing ride and I know together we're going to kick some cancer bummy for the women and girls we love AND for many breast-cancer-free generations to come.


The Susan G. Komen 3-Day for the Cure is a 60-mile walk over the course of three days. Net proceeds from the Susan G. Komen 3-Day for the Cure™ are invested in breast cancer research and community programs.








Y'all can subscribe to FriedOkra's feed here.

10 comments:

  1. Megan, to hear you talk about carrying our loved ones in your heart when you walk just makes me well up with pride. My Aunt Mary was only 52 when she passed, while her daughter was pregnant with triplets. The triplets were born a month after she died. They all started college this past fall and I know their Grandma Mary would be so proud of them. I will be sure to tell them, their mother, my mother and the whole family what a wonderful friend I have, living in Chicago.
    I'm so extremely proud of you and thankful that you're willing to honor my Aunt Mary and all the others with your walk for the cure. Love to your entire crew for staring cancer in the face and saying "Outta here!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Megan - I'm so proud of you. I can see you are putting your heart and soul into this and it's showing. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is AWESOME, Megan! I am so, so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! Reading your words helped me re-live last years finish line and brought me such joy. I cannot wait to cross the finish line, hand-in-hand, with Team Cure or Bust and all the energy and love from those we will carry in our hearts. It is going to be truely amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello!
    You may probably be very curious to know how one can manage to receive high yields on investments.
    There is no initial capital needed.
    You may commense earning with a money that usually is spent
    for daily food, that's 20-100 dollars.
    I have been participating in one company's work for several years,
    and I'll be glad to let you know my secrets at my blog.

    Please visit blog and send me private message to get the info.

    P.S. I earn 1000-2000 per day now.

    http://theinvestblog.com [url=http://theinvestblog.com]Online Investment Blog[/url]

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey girl. I have a wonderfully happy handmade red octopus with heart fabric that could be used in a silent auction, if you felt it might match what you are looking for. It sounds like it might not, but wanted to throw it out there if you were interested. I could send you a picture if you wanted one. not worries, if it isn't what you are looking for. just let me know if you are. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. [url=http://www.ile-maurice.com/forum/members/wetter-vorhersage.html][b]deutsches wetter[/b][/url]

    [url=http://www.ile-maurice.com/forum/members/wetter-vorhersage.html][b]flughafen wetter[b][/url]

    ReplyDelete
  8. [url=http://www.ile-maurice.com/forum/members/wetter-vorhersage.html]nzz wetter[/url]

    [url=http://www.ile-maurice.com/forum/members/wetter-vorhersage.html]wetter gran canaria[/url]

    ReplyDelete
  9. [url=http://www.facebook.com/pages/weathercom/298713874092l]www.weather.com[/url]

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts?