Pages

Saturday, December 19, 2009

Fancy Cracker

My husband, y'all, is a plain old cracker kinda guy, through and through. I regularly stand by watching in amazement as he consumes entire sleeves of soda crackers without pausing for breath.

The man just loves him some saltines.

Last night was the annual neighborhood Ladies Night Christmas Bash at my friend Paula's house, so I ran out early in the day to buy ingredients for my Mom's hot crab dip recipe and a box of assorted VERY fancy, non-soda crackers for dipping. You know the kind shaped like butterflies and ovals and flavored with sesame and rye and what have you? Well, I got the dip made and the platter of crackers arranged just before Al came in from work to take over kid duty while I ran up to primp for the party. I left one little sleeve of the crackers in the box because it wouldn't fit on my platter, and popped it in the pantry on my way out of the kitchen.

I was upstairs installing a fortress of hot rollers around the crown of my hair when there came a light tap on the bathroom door. Al's face appeared in a tiny opening and he held up the fancy cracker box so I could see it and said, "Are the fancy crackers in here for the party tonight or do you care if I have them with my sandwich?"

"Oh you're welcome to them honey but I bought you a new box of saltines, too. Did you not see them?"

"I saw them but I want these. I love 'em!" he said.

"Wow! I had no idea you loved fancy crackers!" I exclaimed.

"Hey, I married you, didn't I?"


Y'all can subscribe to FriedOkra's feed here.

23 comments:

  1. That is so sweet and very cute story!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's a cracker-upper, that Al. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's funny. :) Hope you're doing well - it was nice to hear from you today. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The man can definitely think on his feet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wondered if there was going to be a cracker joke in there somewhere!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You handed him the perfect joke set-up! :o)
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw, cute! The only time I consume entire sleeves of unadorned Saltines is when I have the stomach bug! (Give me some dip, though, and no cracker is safe!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hahahha! That's pretty quick!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bah-dum-dum.

    Al is hysterical.

    (I wondered where you were going with such an interesting title....)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your husband is hilarious! The two of you are so perfectly suited, it is always such a joy to read your entries about each other.

    ReplyDelete
  11. tried to leave this just now - so sorry if there is a double comment.

    Heeeeeeeeeeeeee! That Al is so quick with the clever! So funny.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That Al. Nuthin' but funny on him.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The very reason I come here day after day after day. I love you guys together. You make my day!

    PS. have missed you terribly !!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The title of this post gave it away...I could just see where this was going! You've got you a funny one on your hands! It's been a while since we've had a good Al joke!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's been awhile since I popped in for a visit, but this made me crack up!! Love the jokes y'all can make sometimes! Too funny!! (As was the "fortress of hot rollers." My kids are intrigued with rollers when I use them and their daddy always has a silly remark about "Beam me up" or something!) Think our hubby's delight in teasing! :-)

    Happy New Year!
    Angela

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts?