Pages

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Mama, Your Issues are Showing

Photobucket

Mama: Since it's your first day of school and all, you get to pick: Do you want Peabody and me to walk you into school and help you get settled and give you hugs and kisses and stuff, or do you just want us to drop you off and let Ms. Linda walk you inside?

Bean: MISS LINDA!

Mama: Okay.

Twenty-five minutes later, in the car.

Mama: You know, Bean, Peabody and I wouldn't MIND walking you inside today, since it's your first day. Do you want us to walk you in? I mean, it's your decision but I just wanted to let you know it'd be no trouble at all. We'd be happy to do it!

Bean: Well, okaaaaay Mama, if you really want to walk me in.

Mama: No, Bean, it's your CHOICE. Really! You choose. Walk-in or drop off?

Bean: Drop off!

Mama: You're sure? Drop-off?

Bean: OH FOR THE LOVE OF MIKE, MOM! WALK ME IN ALREADY OR SCHOOL'S GONNA BE OVER BEFORE I GET TO MY CLASSROOM.

Mama: Really? You need me to walk you in, my sweet baby? Okay!

Photobucket

(In the end, I really did drop her off. HEY MAN, HER CHOICE. I ached inside all the way home, but I think I'd have ached a little no matter what.)











Y'all can subscribe to FriedOkra's feed here.

21 comments:

  1. Oh My GOODNESS!!! She looks SO grown up! With her hair slicked back and to the side. And her leggings and shiny shoes.
    She's adorable, and worthy of the Mama Ache.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my Lordy...she is so stinking CEEUUUTE!

    You better watch those little 5yo boys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww...she looks so pretty and excited for her first day. We've moved into the car drop off line most mornings--at 6YO's request. It hurt at first; now I like the fact I don't have to have myself all together since no one sees me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like it most days, too, Holly. There's a lot to be said for bein' able to shuttle your child off to school while still sportin' your slippers, pajama bottoms and eye-boogers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I completely adore her.
    And you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. She is just gorgeous!! And wait until she rides off in a school bus...talk about an ache!

    ReplyDelete
  7. All the sweet sugar on this blog today is making my tummy hurt. :)

    She is amazingly gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Seriously, I think you're gonna have to lock her up 'til she's forty...

    ReplyDelete
  9. She looks so adorable and grown up for her first day of school!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a big grown up girl. She's adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Isn't she just beautiful? While it is hard to see her go off so independently, you know that you and Al have given her all the love and confidence she needs to enter this new world with her head held high. Good job Mom and Dad!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Where does the time go? The aching heart when they leave us is brutal. What a delight to see them growing up though! She is darling as ever and your baby boy is sooooooo precious too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a little lady!! She looks so grown up. I can see why your heart aches so...it is hard to see them grow up so fast.

    ReplyDelete
  14. She is absolutely adorable! I love first day pics!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You would've ached anyway, trust me. I wasn't expecting for it to be as hard as it was when our oldest went to Kindergarten last year...and we walked in with him. *sigh*

    Heavens to betsy, that child is georgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, the cuteness of that child!

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a doll, that girl. Reminds me of mine. I'm so proud that she doesn't "need" me to walk her in (on a rare occasion she'll ask), but sad at the same time because she doesn't.

    I do, however, park the car and walk up to the school to pick her up. I love to watch her face light up when she first sees me.

    Looks like you are doing a great job raising a confident, pretty, and smart young lady!


    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  18. It doesn't seem fair that they can be more independent than us.

    She is the sweetest.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Why is it they are always ready before we are?

    ReplyDelete
  20. She is just so stinking cute! I love her hair straight and back like that. So pretty!

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts?