Pages

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Just Remind Me to Be OUT OF TOWN Come Prom Weekend, Okay?

So Friday, Bee-bop asked me to straighten her hair. Which is much akin to her asking me to extract some of her teeth the old-fashioned way, because this kid would rather have me dig out her one-year molars with a rusty grapefruit spoon than touch her head, for any reason, including putting out a scalp fire or flicking off a rabid tarantula. Not that we've had to test that theory, mind you, I'm just extrapolating based on all of the hissing in-takes of breath and the ghoulish, hell-fire-hot screams I hear when I very gingerly extricate a pony-tail holder from her tangled mane.

As you can imagine, I was less than thrilled to accept this challenge, but she insisted she'd be still and not rupture my eardrums, so I acquiesced with a big, bold asterisk of protest stamped squarely in the middle of my forehead.

It was a bit like ironing a poodle.

We only got as far back as the tops of her ears before her instincts for self-preservation kicked in (OW! MY HEAD, MY HE-E-EAD, YOU'RE KILLIN' MY HEAD! MAMA, I'M LITERAWY DYIN' HERE!) but you get the idea, right?

Photobucket




Y'all can subscribe to FriedOkra's feed here.

21 comments:

  1. WOW - that child has some HAIR. And what is it with bitty girls and all the drama that comes with getting their hair brushed?!? Some days my daughter starts saying, "OW OW OW" as soon as she sees the brush!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Makes her look so grown up. So I say be glad she doesn't tolerate it very often, as her curls keep her looking like a little girl as long as possible. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cute is she! My niece has hair like Beans and she loves to have her's straightened. Luckily for my sister Jayden goes by the motto "Beauty =Pain" and will sit through a drill bit in her head if it means she is "Pretty".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wowsers, Batman! That ain't no kid you got there -- you've got a mini-supermodel! She is, of course, beautiful, but I agree with Nicole. I like her girly curls better. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Straight hair makes her look so grown up. And I loved that phrase you used "ironing a poodle." Too funny!

    Coming from someone with straight hair, I say bring on the curls. She's beautiful either way, but I love the girly-girl curls.

    ReplyDelete
  6. PS...I forgot to ask...just how did you straighten her hair? With a flat iron? With hair that curly I wouldn't know where to begin.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, ma'am. With a flat iron. I think it'd do even better if we blew it out first but DUDE! No thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gracious, she's just gorgeous. You could put a poodle on her head, and she'd be gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh! She looks so pretty and grown up! However - I wouldn't want to do this too often ewither!

    ReplyDelete
  11. BEAUTIFUL!!! It really shows off how BLONDE it is!! She looks great curly and straight...lucky girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. and that's the reason my mom kept my hair so short most folks thought I was a boy when I was little Bean's age.... LOL

    ReplyDelete
  13. She got the best bits of you and of Al. She's absolutely beautiful - regardless of how her hair is done.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Miss America 2025! She is GORGEOUS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh My Goodness. What a pretty picture. She's just as cute as she can be with a personality that just shines! And your descriptions of hell fire hot screams and ironing a poodle have me lauging out loud. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Positively beautiful! Your daughter is lovely with her hair curly or straight. She has hair just like my granddaughter & she is very vocal when her mom is fixing her hair. That's the price of looking good sometimes...

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think it turned out pretty stinkin' darling. You are such a good mama!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I flat ironed Princess's hair once and got very similar results. I'm talking about the hair and the... I'll be kind and call it whining.

    They do outgrow the whole screaming bloody murder when you try to do anything with their hair right? Oh, yeah, during that phase where they practically live in the bathroom if I remember correctly.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Pretty girl!!! :) And "I'm literawy dyin' here!" - hehehe! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love how thick it is! So gorgeous. I miss her curls though...

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts?