Pages

Thursday, June 4, 2009

White Box White Box What Do You See? I See Megan Lookin' At Me.

Yep. I'm opening up the white Blogger box for the second day in a row. Trouble is, I'm outta the bloggin' habit now, and so I sit, staring at the screen, wondering what to tell y'all about, fretting about what's NOT getting done in this brief oasis of peace in another hectic day of motherin' and house-keepin' and a dozen other roles and responsibilities. Yesterday I was a hair-stylist (to myself, eek!) and a buyer, today I'm a plumber and a baker and tomorrow I'll probably be a lifeguard and a personal assistant.

I enjoy all, okay most, of my roles. I enjoy the brisk activity. I like being busy. I like the diverse nature of the demands this life places on me. Do I wish it all came at me a little more slowly? Yeah. Do I sometimes feel lost among and between my roles and have a hard time settling down and just being ME? Oh, dude. You have no idea. (Actually you probably do.) But as always, at the core of everything that I do and everything that I feel, there beats a truly grateful heart.

----------------

You know what happened to me last weekend? I contracted a nasty case of corneal ulcers! (No, it's not an STD. Get your mind outta the gutter.) Have you ever had those? Corneal ulcers HURT, and they make your eye swell up in a way I've only ever seen on certain old Warner Brothers cartoons. I'm not kidding, people, the right side of my face swelled up and got all red and angry and ended up lookin' like the cross-section of a big ol' raw veal shank. Bone in. And painful? OHMYGRANNY, except for labor I've never experienced such pain. It felt like someone had installed a metal-bristled grill scraper on the inside of my eyelid.

Apparently corneal ulcers are often caused by wearing your contacts, yes, even your extended-wear, super-uber gas permeable contacts, too long at a time and/or sleeping in them night after night after God-forsaken night. Which I'm ashamed to admit I do. Or I did. Because I'm kinda lazy like that, and also, I like to be able to see where I'm going in the middle of the night when one or both of my children comes up with some creative new reason to call upon my 24-hour bed-side assistance without having to fumble around for my glasses. But no more! Y'all take it from me, okay? If you wear contacts, for Pete's sake, TAKE THEM OUT EVERY NOW AND AGAIN WOULDJA?

Seriously. I'd tell you the whole gruesome story but frankly it was so unpleasant even I can't find much funny in it. And Al? You know, I think he is JUST NOW getting his little self calmed back down again -- he's normally as cool as a cucumber but this entire episode, which involved a full day and a half of near-blindness, a THREE HOUR STAY at the urgent care center (with both kids), and a speeding ticket to add insult to injury, has had the man tied up in knots for nearly a week. I'm really not sure who suffered more, in the end.

I know! The poor man. In lieu of flowers, please send beer and nachos.

I'm much better now. I go back to the eye doctor early next week to see how I'm healing and I feel confident I'll get a clean bill of health again.

Hey, did you register for my giveaway of A Sane Woman's Guide to Raising a Large Family? Go do that! And I have several more very cool give-aways coming up next week, too.

Y'all keep your good eye out for 'em.


Y'all can subscribe to FriedOkra's feed here.

12 comments:

  1. Wow! I am so impressed by you doing 2 posts in a row!
    I've never had a corneal ulcer, but I've scratched it and that was bad enough. Glad you're doing better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Note to self: Change contact lenses daily.

    YEOWZAS!!!!!!

    I am glad you're feeling better. And it's nice to see you posting again! the groove will come back, I'm sure of it. (If you want it to.) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow you're the second online friend to have an eye infection in as many weeks. Speedy recovery :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you are feeling better! I have tried to wear the kind of contacts you can sleep in but when I wake up my eyse feel icky and every thing looks hazy so I have to wear the daily disposables. And I keep my glasses on my nightstand.

    One of these days when my ship comes in I'm going to get laser eye surgery. One of these days...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh man, that does NOT sound fun! Glad you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yeah I feel your pain.. I did that years ago way back when hard contacts were the only kind you could get!!! Yeah, that was long ago. I learned my lesson for sure... glad your healing...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ouch! I'm sorry, that really stinks! I am glad that you are feeling better now. Maybe you should get some glasses to keep by the bed at night so when you have to get up with the kids you can just throw them on?

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad to hear you are doing better. Get well soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My eye is now throbbing.

    And I don't even wear contacts.

    I've been thinking about you lately, missing your posts. How are you doing, with those two precious and active little bundles?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I scratch my corneas regularly because I had dry eye syndrome and things just get STUCK in there! So the last time I'm at the ophthalmologist, holding my eye shut, a man walked in with a grotesquely swollen eye. His diagnosis? UGH! A tiny seed had stuck in his eye and started to.....UGH.....GROW!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeah, so, I think I'm going to go throw away my contacts and get some new ones tomorrow. I got a year's worth of contacts 3 1/2 years ago. WOOPS. AND I have six months worth left. Is that bad?

    Emily

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts?