Pages

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

They Have Since Made Me An Honorary Hen.

OHMYGRANNY.

Y'all remember back when I used to write good news in my pregnancy blog, like "I think I might feel a little better today!" and then the next day it'll all go to H-E-Double-Hockey-Sticks and I'd be hangin' over the hurler for the next two weeks?

Well that is just apparently how Peabody rolls, because the day after I wrote about how we'd finally gotten the boy sleeping some, he woke up and hasn't been back to sleep again since then. Siiiiiiiiigh.

I can't even begin to express to y'all the amount of disappointment I'm feelin' up in here (points to heart). I'm STILL practicing everything outlined in Dr. Weissbluth's book, Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child. I've extra-earlied up Peabody's bedtime and vigilantly put him down for his naps when I'm supposed to, but he's still just a big old not-sleeping goofball, grinnin' that pretty buck-toothed grin at me all day long. If y'all have had experience with a backslidin' reformed sleeper and you have some advice for me, I would welcome whatever you've got.

For those of you who rushed out and bought the book after I wrote about it, do not lose heart. I still believe Dr. Weissbluth's theories and methods will work for 99% of the babies on this planet, it's just that Peabody apparently considers himself ABOVE the need for sleep, an attitude I believe he has adopted directly from his father, who sleeps, between working, studying and bein' Mr. Family Guy, about four and a half minutes a day.

I was SO delighted to hear from so many of y'all in the comments to my last post. I'm glad so many of you HAVE heard of and even read/used Weissbluth's book and even more glad some of you found what I wrote helpful and/or hope-inspiring in your endeavors to get your own kids sleeping better! I even got some very sweet emails from a few tired Moms (to whom I still owe responses. I'M SORRY! As a result of all this disappointment I've been feeling more jerky than perky and I hate corresponding with good people when I feel that way!) saying THANK YOU and THANK YOU AGAIN because their babies are pullin' Peabody's tricks too and they felt like maybe I'd found the answer. And I had.

Until the Z-train derailed itself again.

Blah.

But there's a little good news, though. I found an article in which Dr. Weissbluth answered the questions of some parents with little non-sleepers and one of the questions was how to get a baby back on track when he gets all sleep-deprived after a vacation or an illness, and he suggested what he called a "re-set," meaning to put the baby to bed super early in the hopes that he'll make up for the deficit by getting extra sleep on the front end of his nighttime sleep.

So I put ol' Peabod' in his bed for the night yesterday afternoon at 5:30 PM. And he slept. And slept. And slept. And you know what time that rascal finally woke up and called for me?

5:30 AM!

For those of you who don't feel like doing the math, that would be your twelve hours of wake-free sleepin'.

Good law, people.

We'll see how that glorious night of slumber impacts the nappy schedule today. I'm not gettin' my hopes up but Dr. Weissbluth's stock price has risen a bit in my eyes, I can't deny that. The man gives some crazy-sounding advice, but when I turn off my skept-o-meter and just do like he tells me, I normally get results.

(This is sortof how my relationship with Al works too, come to think of it.)

But you didn't hear either of those two admissions from me.

But a 5:30 AM waking sure makes for some confusion around when to put the guy down for naps.

And also? I would not care to get into the habit of gettin' up for the day at 5:30 AM, if that could at all be avoided. Please and thank you.

Now if you're still with me, let me tell you ONE more thing about sleep. Just one.

Have I ever mentioned to y'all that Bean wakes the roosters up every day? Hello? Mr. Rooster? It's me, Bean. Time to get up! I've been up for an hour! Let's get the crowin' started, people!

Well. This was not that great a thing for the Mama who has been gettin' up in the night with a baby for 8 months, so I took a little look-see at the chapter in Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child for pre-schoolers and found a trick to pull an idea to try on my little early-riser. We got a PINK AND PURPLE clock radio and set it for an acceptable hour for her to come into my room. And I told her: Stay in your room until the music comes on before you come into my room and you will get a special treat.

The first day she failed to stay in her room until the predetermined hour (It's taking too loooooooooong, Mama. And you know what? I don't like to WAIT Mama. I like to Go! Go! Go!) (Ahem. This does not sound like anyone I know. At all.) and she didn't get a treat. The next day, she DID stay in her room and she got a treat. So we told her: Go three days staying in your room until the music comes on and we will have a celebration! At your favorite restaurant!

And she did it. A couple of days she even SLEPT until the music came on, which is HUGE for her. Some mornings she DOES come out of her room, but only to go potty, and then she goes back in her room and stays until the music comes on. Good stuff, people. And she is HAPPY and PROUD and SMILIN' when she struts in to find me, too. I love that. Occasionally (maybe three days out of the past ten?) we've seen a little backsliding, and I just say, "Uh oh, Bean. Has your music come on yet?" She just rolls her eyes and says Nooooooo. And then, since she knows what I'm about to say, she holds up her little hand to shush me, screws on her best pouty face and goes back in her room again with her little shoulders slumped and her feet dragging.

And I giggle to myself. Drama queen!

And then, when she's not looking, I sneak into her room and set the time on her clock back by 15 minutes. Hee hee.

Oh, I is a bad Mama!

The roosters love me though.

I will keep y'all posted. Or not.


Y'all can subscribe to FriedOkra's feed here.

25 comments:

  1. Great post Megan! so full on info in your fun way of writing. :0)

    oh and when The sugar is about to grow or have a milestone, all sleep goes to hell, so....that might have been your peabody's issue.
    hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good grief...this post couldn't have come at a better time because my Camden likes to wake up with the roosters too. 6:30am is too durn early for the entire family. I had heard of this trick from another mama years ago but never thought about it again until you mentioned it. I am off to set me an alarm!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. just poped in to say Hi.I hope that you are having a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was a beautiful day in the House of Vitafam when our guys could read numbers on a digital clock...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Boo used to wake withe sun, and I never thought to get her her own clock. Now, she will sleep in forever if I let her.

    Keep at it with Peabody, it will work out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous Post! I so enjoy your blog.

    I love that book and LOVE Dr. Weissbluth. We have had to "re-set" my little one a few times and I am always amazed at how well it works!

    That book was the best gift I ever received :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your posts even though all that sleeping stuff is behind me. I can tell you that when they are teenagers you will have to drag them out of bed at 11 in the morning!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just wanted to post a quick word of encouragement, Megan.... Both my kids were great sleepers (but I was absolutely militant about sleep and schedules- which I'm not saying is the 100% right way to go) but they both would go through periods where they wouldn't sleep/nap well. It would usually last a few days- sometimes a few weeks- and then things would improve. That is my long-winded way of saying, "Stick with it. You're doing great." I'll say a prayer that both your babies sleep some more!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just want you to know that both Kelly and Tony where not great sleepers. But I do have to say... they are great sleepers now. Tony is still the first one up in the morning but sometimes now, he goes and finds Kelly. They lay in bed talking. It is nice to see brother and sister bonding... if only for a few minutes.
    Nancy C.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I still need to check out that book...it is so interesting to me that, at least in my VERY limited experience, when Z is overtired, he wakes up early in the morning - we tried putting him down to one nap a day last week, and it went HORRIBLY. He woke up SO early. So when that happens, I have to put him down earlier than usual for naps, and earlier than usual for bedtime. And it helps him sleep longer - it is so strange to me, but like you said, it works. I hope Peabody starts sleeping better for you soon!!! I totally understand what you're going through!!! And the alarm clock is a great idea that I'm definitely going to use someday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a newborn living in my house. God bless that little bundle of a grandson my daughter blessed me with about 6 weeks ago. God bless them both ... but Lord help me Nanneee ... I would give my front teeth if the little fellow would sleep more than two hours at a time!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I feel a little hopeless in the whole sleep department with my 7 month old. Apparently she thinks that even 12 TOTAL hours of sleep every day (including naps) is far too long.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am 10w2d pregnant and I am going to peek at child rearing books at the library sometime soon. I will certainly be checking out this one. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi! I'm a new reader and wanted to let you know that Dr Weisbluth worked for us! And also to echo what a previous post-er said about milestones knocking everything to heck. Also teething. Also getting sick. But in general our children are now good sleepers. My six-year-old only just stopped taking daily in the last six months and both kids sleep 10 to 12 hours a night. Stick with it! It pays off in the long run :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. We used Dr. Weisbluth's book with my first daughter. It worked wonderfully because she was the world's WORST sleeper. Worst. The ideas were really helpful with my second and third.

    All my girls are early risers. If we can keep them in bed until 6 a.m. we are happy. Well, not HAPPY, but happier than we are at 5:30. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So glad to see and know that even as tired as you must be...that beautiful relationship you have with words, thoughts, and writing never tires. That's what is so wonderful to me. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dacey is our sleeper-inner, but AJ? Oy. I will totally be revisiting the alarm clock music cue in a year or so!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good luck is all I can say! I've been reading your blog for a long time now, following your ups and downs... as I don't have kiddos of my own (yet) I'm really just a passive onlooker but I'm sure that I will remember your posts in the future during sleep-interrupted nights.

    ReplyDelete
  19. :blink: Kids are supposed to sleep through the night? What? :blink:

    You'll get there... :) Sounds like you're already well on your way! Just poppin in to let you know I'm still enjoying your posts, even though I've been a terrible friend! :|

    ReplyDelete
  20. Just a few thoughts...
    First, WHERE was this clock-trick when my 5 yr old was waking me up at dark-thirty??
    Second, Babywise, which helped me with my younger 2 kids, says that some babies will cry (for as long as 30 minutes!!) during a nap. It's just part of their normal sleep routine. The Mama in me had a REALLY hard time with that part. My son, though, would wake up and cry HARD for about 15 minutes, then go back to sleep.
    There are some other high-notes in that book that helped me immensely. I recommend reading it if the other doesn't help.

    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  21. That book worked for us when our eldest was 11 months old. I'm SO thankful. And he is an early riser too. We could count on him waking up at 5:19 every morning. When we finally got him to sleep until 6am, we celebrated! But he's a morning person - Woe to his Mama who is NOT a morning person.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh Mylanta, Megan. I'm right there with you.

    Teyla starts to sleep, and I feel like throwing a party. (And incidentally, I'm doing sleep training much like you are. I haven't read that book for a while, but the principles are the same.) But then Teyla CHANGES EVERYTHING, and doesn't nap and stays pretty happy and it DRIVES ME CRAZY.

    I keep reminding myself that the only thing consistent about babies and toddlers in their inconsistency.

    But geeze Louise. TAKE A NAP, YOUNG'UN!

    ReplyDelete
  23. My little darling is just the world's worst sleeper, and since I am a wimp of a mama who DETESTS listening to her baby cry (my very bones weep along with her, I swear) - I haven't been good about "sleep training."
    But she's 14 months old, Mama is 5 months pregnant, and something's gotta give! So here I am, praying that the quiet spell I'm experiencing will stick, and that she's really asleep this time (since I put her down for bedtime over an HOUR ago and have been subjected to Sad Sad Baby Sounds ever since).
    Good luck to you - we've made progress and slid back, made progress and slid back - and I know how frustrating that is.
    I'm betting he'll come around.
    (fingers crossed, wink wink, knocking on the wood)...

    ReplyDelete
  24. Mr. Weissbluth is my hero.

    However. I did have a sleep problemo child as well! Bubbalu took 2 or 3 40 to 45 minute naps a day his entire first year of life. Then he dropped down to one short nap which finally FINALLY lengthened out a bit. Now, healthy sleeper. First year of life? I might have sold him cheap.

    Thoughts and prayers to you as I know what this sorta torture feels like.

    Our four month old? Sleep Perfection. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'd never heard of Dr W... thanks for sharing! Since I am having a fourth in 4 weeks and 5 days, and I have always had pretty good sleepers, I am wondering if my luck will run out and if it will be my turn now.

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts?