Pages

Thursday, January 29, 2009

What I'm NOT Wearin' at Blissdom: Saturday

I'm havin' fun y'all! I think I could do this for a livin'. Who knew?

So after the fun of Friday night's cocktail and pajama parties, I'm thinkin' we'll all be good enough friends for me to let my hair down a little. So I'm just gonna throw caution to the wind and take a risk or two with my Saturday duds.

My Dad emailed me after I showed you what I'm not wearin' Friday and said he was theoretically concerned I'm gonna freeze my transcendental buns off in Nashville, in early February, in a pair of $225 khakis and short sleeve shirt, so Dad, I'm thinkin' today's outfit's gonna smooth out those worry lines for you.

Photobucket

Here's a cute gap.com tailored blue shirt with tiny white polka dots. It's a classic piece, but I like that it's fitted and has a touch of the whimsy to make it feel a bit less samey.

Photobucket

Over the blue shirt, I'm throwin' on this pretty pale yellow v-neck sweater, also from gap.com. I wanted a yellow cashmere sweater, but apparently all the yellow cashmeres made a break for it at sheering time this season. I couldn't find a single yellow cashmere v-neck to save my life, people. But this cotton v-neck's a good piece to take me from late winter to early spring and even, in Chicago, into summer, where the nights stay chilly into July, sometimes.

Photobucket

I WISH y'all could see the front of this classic trouser jean. If you click through (on the picture above), you CAN check out another view and see the small, trendy patch pockets with nickle-link detailing. Oh, they are sweet, people. These are from Nordstrom.com, but they're on sale, so the price didn't make me gasp and splutter in shock as if I'd just been drenched in icy, dirty gutter water by a city bus takin' a tight corner.

Photobucket

etsy.com people. Handmade stuff by people like you and me. Real, creative, talented people. This long strand of green glass beads is part of a full set that includes a slightly more intricate bracelet and earrings. Go look. So simple, but so pretty.

Photobucket

Check the shoe. Hadda go for a red bowed shoe a la Dorothy, because it's Saturday and I'm havin' a blast with y'all and learning a lot at the conference, but by four in the afternoon, I'ma be missing my sweet family and starting to feel a little no-place-like-homegirlish. Zappos.com does it again. Gals, they have every shoe my little brain can think up. Go try it. Picture a shoe, any shoe, the PERFECT SHOE, and then go see if you can find it on Zappos.com. Betcha can.

Photobucket

Quit it with the beautiful bags, Janine King Designs at etsy.com! OHMYGRANNY, this one makes me wanna GENUFLECT, doesn't it y'all? What else can I say? This whole outfit is about takin' some wardrobe staples and popping them up with fab accessories, and this bag? DAWG, this bag could make my 15-year-old dingy-white waffle-weave bathrobe look like Rodeo Drive. (Granted, I'd need a good leg wax, a pair of sling-backs and some new knees to pull it off, but we're bein' THEORETICAL here.)

And I found a coat. This gorgeous coat. Sortof a rusty/persimmon wool hip-length trench with a self-belt. That's the coat I wanted to wear with this outfit, Dad. You said WOOL, right? So I dutifully looked up a wool coat and found -- perfection. And then, sadly, I lost it. Can't find it anywhere. So y'all just have to imagine that one. RATS.

Hey, are y'all enjoying these clothes posts? Because this is HUGE fun for me, and I'm loving your comments. Should I do more of them in the future or have you had enough? Would y'all, even those who rarely or never comment, mind lettin' me know your thoughts on these FriedOkra fashion posts?


Y'all can subscribe to FriedOkra's feed here.

30 comments:

  1. I absolutely am in LOVE with your non wardrobe. You, friend, have excellent taste. And the shoes... to. die. for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that blue shirt with the yellow sweater - like a breath of spring! And the shoes...oh, how I love shoes.

    I have never in my recollection owned a pair of red shoes. I'm going to have to remedy that ASAP.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love, love, love these posts!!! As I am reading, I actually picture myself in these beautiful outfits (you have such a knack for fashion, I on the other hand do not, hence the reason I'm just using your vision! :) Hmmm, I don't know that these companies make sizes for "bigger girls" but either way, I love the outfits!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Should you do more of these posts?
    Um, yes.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes,more,please! I am loving your picks and getting some good ideas-not that I have anywhere to go but its nice to imagine along with you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love, love, love the shoe and bag combo on this outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  7. First time commenter, but I've been a faithful reader for quite some time. I LOVE the fashion posts! Gives me some great ideas and inspiration for cute outfits. I especially like the etsy finds because that site is filled with hidden treasures!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think these posts are fun, and I'm too busy keeping a crawler from sucking on lamp cords or eating cat food to shop for virtual events myself...so, thank you! :o)
    I love today's handbag, too. I wonder how many are getting snarfed up because of your advertisement here! :o)
    I have to say, though, that I miss your regular rambles and recounts of your daily events.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love, love, love Janine King's bags. I got a laptop bag from her and it is great! You need to do this regularly and get a commission! Meanwhile back at my blog, I'm dreaming of wearing a Snuggie this weekend...brrr...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the clothes post- it wouldnt be something i would look at every day if you did them a lot. I love reading your beautiful words. But I LOVED the outfit today the purse is to die for

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think they are fun! You should definitely do more of them in the future, as long as they don't take over your usual chatter, because I'd miss that a lot! You have fabulous taste though - and it's nice to see you having some fun with it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your fake wardrobe posts are fun! :) I'm enjoying your virtual shopping. Maybe it could be a carnival one day- everyone who ISN'T going, say, to the Super Bowl... post your imaginary outfits. Ok, well, the Super Bowl might not be the best location in terms of fun clothes, but you get the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  13. this is all very lovely and fun to look at but mostly i'm just sad you won't be there wearing this stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Once again with the beautiful handbag! The whole outfit seems very fashion forward but in a classic way. Will you be my personal shopper?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I LOVE these posts! You have found some really cute clothes. Oh and that bag. That bag!! I am not a 'shoe person', but a beautiful handbag can make me swoon. And that bag? Swooning!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think they're fun and you have great style!
    You should branch out as some sort of fashionista blogger extrodinaire!
    And the Etsy stuff is awesome! I have the hardest time with Etsy, half the time when I'm searching for something, instead of finding the shops with all the awesomeness, I find someone's shope featuring hand crocheted blue potholders. And I am fully stocked on crocheted kitchen wares.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cute outfit. I have some of them trouser jeans and I love LOVE love them

    ReplyDelete
  18. Virtual shopping - can't beat it.

    I gave you an award but I think it's one you already have.

    ReplyDelete
  19. girl you could post like this every day and I'd be more than happy :-) i love it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I don't care if you do more posts like this. I just want you to come be my personal shopper. You have put more thought into these outfits than I put into my wedding. And it shows. (I almost typed "It shoes." HA!)

    Seriously. I'm calling you if I ever go to an "event" someday.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I find myself wishing I could see the outfits "put together." You see, there is no imagination in this noggin' of mine. Aunt Joy

    ReplyDelete
  22. You're becoming quite the creative fashionista and tickling our imaginations, so what I'm thinking is...you could continue these outlandish clothes posts and pull them off as sponsor adverts to boot!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh, forgot to say you still must post your silly and interesting daily ramblings, because that's what I really come back for.

    Personally, I'd wear that yellow sweater under the button down shirt and leave some of the buttons undone, but I'm more into comfort than aesthetic views.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've clicked through for every single one of these, Megan - even if I don't get a chance to comment. I was wondering if I could hire you to be my theoretical stylist . . .

    ReplyDelete
  25. Working my way backwards...cause that's how I roll in life, but wanted to say..."I love the outfit"!!! You are gonna be one hot little Mama...or I guess I should say you were one Hot little mama on Friday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. LOVE IT! These are way fun Megan, keep it up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. LOVE IT! These are way fun Megan, keep it up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. LOVE IT! These are way fun Megan, keep it up. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts?