Pages

Saturday, January 10, 2009

Moment of Perfection #1 - An Unexpected Favor



I had an overdue appointment with my pal the snow blower yesterday afternoon, so I guiltily left the kids in the family room alone together, directing Bean to come to the garage door and flag me down if she or Peabody needed anything. I sat on the stoop outside that door, and being a realist, I figured I'd no sooner get both boots laced up before I heard her little footsteps approaching.

But I finished the whole job with nary a panicked cry to pull me into Major Crisis Resolution Mode.

I went back inside (prepared for the worst, because silence is never a good sign in a Mama's world) and found Bean calmly folding the laundry she'd voluntarily pulled out of the dryer, stuffed into a basket and dragged over to rest beside her brother, who was happily surveying the goings-on over the edge of his saucer.

As I sat warming up and watching my daughter "fold," she got up from her work and came to me, wrapping a little blanket around my shoulders, then vigorously rubbing my back and arms.

That's perfection.






Y'all can subscribe to FriedOkra's feed here.

26 comments:

  1. How wonderful! What a blessing for you! Your little girl is so "grown" up! I am sure you are proud of her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow... what a beautiful thing to come in to. And what a sweet little girl you have there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sweet...amazing sometimes what kids will do when you least expect them too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes. Definitely Perfection! Thanks for sharing.
    Hugs...Anita, a Knitting Junkie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a sweetie! These are the moments to remember when you are having a rough day. It's a good reminder that you're doing a good job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. AWWWWW - Can Bean come to my house for a while?!?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness. You're making my heart go mush.

    ReplyDelete
  8. She's growing up so fast. To take on that responsibility all by herself is just so sweet. You are so blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness that beanie is a darling!
    My kids would have tipped over a bookshelf, (desptite that they are bolted to the wall) eaten everything in the fridge, and taken all the mattresses of their beds to use as 'sleds' on the stairs.
    Wannan trade? On second thought no...I wouldn't have so much to blog about then would I?
    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a sweet girl. Not that that's a surprise, or anything! :o)
    It's a sign of a good mama is what it is.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Send her my way! My kids have decided that folding laundry is no longer fun.

    I love the she did this without you asking her to.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a sweet, sweet girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. She is something to behold!!! Just shows what good mothering she is getting from you..

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a tender-hearted, others centered little lady you are raising! Such a sweet story. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! Any time you doubt your parenting skills or ability to mother those lovely children of yours I want you to come back and read this post.

    Perfection is not an exaggeration.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lucky! :-) I'm working on having Jayci do our laundry . . . no luck yet!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Aw, she saw herself as the Little Mommy - so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great moment... perfection indeed!

    when I left my little ones inside for a few minutes for a similar reason a few years ago I came back in to the toilet flooded and water flowing into the bedroom from my toddler putting foam letters in the toilet!!

    Glad your snow blowing outing was not so eventful :)!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. How sweet she is! Such a great helper!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That is about the best thing i think i have ever heard. What a sweet sweet moment!

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is the cutest story EVER!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Such a BLESSING, that Bean. I think probably a pretty darn good reflection of her Mama.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Is your Bean the sweetest or what? My one year old son "helps" by pulling the laundry out of the basket...maybe one day he will learn to fold! What a helper you have.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Please share how you trained her to do this. We are expecting our first little girl in May and I wonder how early we need to start working on her to get her doing chores! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts?