Pages

Monday, January 26, 2009

“It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.” - Harry S. Truman

Oh, yeah, I love me some presidential wisdom of a Monday mornin', don't y'all?

My friend and esteemed colleague Jo-Lynne at Musings of a Housewife wants to hear about what YOU learned this week. She's starting a neat new Tuesday carnival for everyone to share their weekly hard-won lessons, be they funny, serious, or somewhere in between.

Me? I learned about a little thing called Toy Migration. As in, the toys Al and I worked so hard to get down into the basement and organized last November keep findin' their way back upstairs into and around my designated In-Order-to- Preserve-a-Shred-of-Your-Sanity-Toy-Free-Zone. So now Bean's learning sumpm. She's learning about DE-MIGRATION. I've set a basket in one corner of the family room and explained to her that at the end of each day, right before bed, she's to collect all the toys she's brought upstairs and put them in that basket and cart them back down to the basement where they belong.

What'd y'all learn? Get to bloggin', throw up your What I Learned post and then run over link up your What I Learned This Week post at Jo-Lynne's by clickin' the button below.




Y'all can subscribe to FriedOkra's feed here.

16 comments:

  1. I learned that a Daddy being home all the time means Mama's rules don't get followed like they used to. Daddy's going to learn something real soon too, haha.

    The toy thing happens here, too. I love your idea about the basket, I should try that one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea with the basket in the corner! There was a time when our living room was practically toy-free but now that Mini is a'movin' she drags toys with her wherever she goes. Need a few more baskets around here, I guess. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is a great idea. I'll have to think about what I learned, but I definitely plan to participate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That happens here all the time. Toys come from all over to gather in the family room. I love the basket idea except my kids need a bigger container. Sometimes I wonder where these toys come from.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my WORD how I need to implement that Migration Basket in my house!!!! Great idea! Thanks for your support! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the basket idea too! We are past the "toys" in our house, but now it's, socks, ponytail holders, headbands, school books, my youngest daughter leaves a little bit of EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE - you know that song "Mambo No.5" - we usually sing "A little bit of Allison over here, and little bit of Allison every where" LOL

    ~Tidymom

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is definitely an UPHILL battle! Good idea.

    Take care,

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is an important lesson. I can't wait for us to have more room, so toys are not everywhere! Soon...hopefully very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great carnival post! And a great idea. I wonder if it works on husbands?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh... toys! Toys all over the place gives me mental clutter. We have just started keeping most of the kiddos' toys in their room... somehow things are making their way back into the living room... just like yours are coming out the the basement...ha!
    http://elislids.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great idea! We've been piling toys on the steps and its a bit of a hazard. I love the basket idea.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like that idea! I'm going to have to try that with my daughter, whose stuff is strewn throughout the house on a daily basis. Come to think of it, I should also put a basket by the garage door because the number of toys that manage to "migrate" to the minivan on a daily basis is absolutely shameful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A migration basket, what a clever idea. Four kids and I wish I'd thought of that sooner.

    We have a "Bean" too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I learned that if you get one of those cactus stickers in your leg--it hurts.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think around here, toys mate and multiply. Especially LEGOS. Like the rabbits in those commercials (were they Visa commercials? It's late...).

    Unfortunately, I do not know how to get them neutered.

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts?