Pages

Thursday, January 1, 2009

2009: Quite Possibly The Year I Will Be Committed.

I think this is the first time I've ever bummed a post from my gig at 5 Minutes for Parenting for FriedOkra.

It was bound to happen sometime, though, because there's only so much questionably decent material comin' outta this particular brain, especially considering the distinct lack of sleepin' going on 'cause both kids have so much mucus in their heads that their sinuses close up like baby-doll eyeballs every time they get anywhere close to horizontal, and the fact that the neighbors apparently won the Worst Day of the Year to Get Your New Roof Put On lottery, and we're the unwitting runners up for all the Noise, Noise, Noise, Noise.

(I'm just glad I'm this old fuddy-duddy Mama-who-went-to-bed-at-10-and-lulled-herself-to-sleep-dreamin'-of-layered-bean-dip-and-bowl-games instead of some younger, hipper version of myself who'd have awakened this morning nursing a champagne hangover and wanted to sleep until 2:30 PM or whenever the room stopped spinning and I could clearly remember why I'd gone to bed wearing a purple backpack and hugging a loaf of French bread, whichever came first.)

(See, there ARE benefits to gettin' older. And not just that I was able to look in the mirror at the 80s hair I'm rockin' today thanks to my unskilled hand with the diffuser that came with the new hairdryer I bought the day after Christmas because mine died Christmas day, halfway through my elaborate blow-styling process and thus left me to spend my Yule looking like a walking before/after photo advertorial for Pert Plus, and immediately recognize the love-child of Cyndi Lauper and Martha Stewart. Or was it Rod Stewart? Hmmm.)

Anyway, HAPPY NEW YEAR Y'ALL! Bad hair day or not, I didn't want this one to get away without tellin' you how much I loved sharin' 2008 with you and how much I'm lookin' forward to shambling, careening and bumbling through 2009 with you laughin' over my shoulder.

Amongst all the laughin' though, I AM going to be keeping an eye toward my high-n-mighty New Year's resolution:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

And I'm thinkin' I'll semi-sorta commit to tryin' to document the moments of perfection I find, as I find 'em, in pictures, and post them here as they become available and postable and worthy of your scrutiny.

That way, my eye will always be keen to find the good in life, vs. bein' keen to find something to belly-ache about.

And really, that's as good a reason to lug around a camera every where you go as I have ever heard, how 'bout you?

Y'all have a wonderful day today. I'm off to see how much layered bean dip it's possible to load on a Tostito at a time, and further, how much of that load can be subsequently horked into my mouth without gettin' any on the carpet.

GO TIGERS!




Y'all can subscribe to FriedOkra's feed here.

22 comments:

  1. I think your resolution is wonderful and that last picture is a prize winner! I just love it. happy New year to the Fried Okra gang!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year to you all! I hope it is as good or better than 2008!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're not the only fuddy duddy. We were all asleep before midnight too.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now that's the best resolution I have read all day!!!

    Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice resolution. I love the pictures. I didn't make it to midnight either, so guess that makes me a fuddy duddy too, I think there are a lot of us, & it's ok... Happy New year !!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. New Year's Eve fuddy duddy here too!
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness how precious are those pictures! Happy New Year, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What gorgeous pics and sentiment. Such a talent you have! Glad I birthed you. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy New Year! Can't wait to see your photos of perfect moments.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gracious, Honey! Those are some beautiful and thought provoking pics!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy New Year! And any pictures of your gorgeous children are more than welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It was too wonderful not to post that twice!

    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great resolution, beautiful pictures!

    Here's to another year of perfect moments!!

    ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just love those pictures :)
    I gave you an award over on my blog today...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great pictures! Nice resolution. Happy New Year.
    -FringeGirl

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those are some great moments! I love them.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy New year!!

    Terrific resolution!

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love it...what beautiful pics, to go with a beautiful post!! Happy 2009!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh Fired Okra, could your babies be more gorgeous and your goals more nobel?

    How did I get here? Anyway, I'm so glad I did. Your Southern thing is right up my alley. We're practically neighbors. Are you a LA girl? I'll read up on you. Come by and visit me anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Shewt. Can I correct myself? I'm the English professor who can't spell. Noble! not Nobel.

    mercy me

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful, beautiful children.

    Thanks for putting into words what I've been feeling lately(and the reason I bought myself the FLIP Ultra video camera). Those precious childhood moments are gone in a flash, you know?

    "Go Tigers?" From Detroit/Michigan? Lived there for 15 years before moving to Chicago! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Well stated with words and pictures!
    I have not stopped by in way too long. I must catch up reading your posts.

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts?