Pages

Monday, December 1, 2008

And What On God's Green Earth Did I Think I Was Gonna Do with MORE PILLOWS?

Thank you Karen for my festive little accessories up there!

I have about a million things I want to tell y'all about, but I never EVER have time to just sit down and collect my thoughts. If you opened up my brain right now you'd see basically the contents of your garden variety kitchen junk drawer - an odd assembly of various bits and pieces, some of which have specific functions but just don't belong anywhere else, and some of which should've been thrown away 18 months ago because WHO THE H-E-DOUBLE- HOCKEYSTICKS PUT THIS IN HERE AND WHAT IS IT? IT LOOKS LIKE IT'S BEEN ON FIRE A TIME OR TWO. AND WHAT IS THAT SMELL?

I want to tell you about a recent trip to HOMEGOODS, the first time I've gone back since this debacle.

And yes. It does involve pillows. Because, well. Because this is me we're talking about here.

I want to tell you about the trip we took to Costco to look for the foam tiles for this project and what we came home with instead.

How do they do that, people?

And I want to tell you about the million funny things Bean and Al have said lately.

But I'm only going tell you about one right now and then I'm going to bed because it's snowing, which means the snowplows will be out scraping the school parking lot behind our house at 3 AM tomorrow morning (I ONLY WISH I WERE KIDDING!) and that means both Peabody AND Bean'll be up and at me, I mean at 'em ridiculously early.

Now I know that I romanticize this prairie life, and Currier & Ives have nothing on the FriedOkras' capacity to soak up the beauty and coziness of winter in our matching Fair Isle sweaters and our black watch plaid scarves and our red mugs of steaming cocoa with tiny little marshmallows on top, but people? Lemme tell you.

When we finally move back down South where we belong, if I EVER. And I mean EVER. See another snowplow as long as I live?

Say it with me now:

It will be WAY TOO SOON.

Oh yeah.

Now.

So we were puttin' up our brand new FAKE Christmas tree over the weekend and Al was all happy and giddy and going on and on and on about the benefits of a fake tree over a real tree (he was trying to make me feel better because I am not a fan of the faux tree).

"Yes," I said in reply to his reason 962, "and we won't be stuck with a brown tree in our living room come the new year."

"Mmm-hmm." He rustled around in the box a bit.

"What's this?!" he exclaimed, "A little can of some kind of spray! 'Apply to branches on January 2' it says."

"Huh," I puzzled, not looking, as I untangled a string of wooden cranberry beads, "Wonder what that is?"

"Let's see," he said, "Pssst. Pssssssssssssst. OH! Wow. They thought of everything. It's brown spray paint. Now THAT'S authenticity."


'Night y'all.

Y'all can subscribe to FriedOkra's feed here.

18 comments:

  1. Yea, we ain't got no snow plows, but the very mention of the word "snow" and every city in these great Southern United States comes to a grinding halt. And the stocking up of the bread and milk begins?!

    I wouldn't trade it to be anywhere else! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you on that snow plow thing. Of course, not having them would be worse! Glad your tree is up and even your blog is looking festive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm kind of stuck on where you said you would move back to the south...I like you in my parts, okay?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad I'm in Texas where snow plows are not necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. He's SO quick with the one-liners! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, now that is too funny!!! I, too, have conceded to a fake tree as opposed to my preferred real live Christmas tree.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Men and their fake trees. What's up with that?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your bloggy decorations jumped right out at me...how cute! No snow plows or fake trees for me either. We will be waiting with open arms when you decide to cross the Mason-Dixon line.

    p.s. Bring my sister when you come.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh that AL! How quick he is with the funny. I bet ya'll stay laughing quite a bit.

    I have to say I enjoy the faux tree, too. But then again, I never had real growing up (family allergies). Maybe it's better when you don't know what you're missing . . .

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh that Al...such a clever one :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I actually love hearing the snow plow go by at five in the morning, because then I can go back to sleep knowing that the roads are safe for my honey to drive to work....

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your cute little Santa hat!
    And Al is hilarious, I wish I had some of that wit! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. My brain is also a junk drawer. With lots and lots of sharp things in it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The festive do-dads on your header are just perfect!

    I love live trees, too, but we've never gotten one for the house 'cause their so impractical for us. I like the tree to go up right after Thanksgiving and not come down until,ooohhh, the middle of January!

    That Al is somethin' else!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That AL! Seriously, I don't know how you keep a straight face! HIL-AR-IOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  16. He is hilarious! Love that Al!!

    We had plows out this morning at 4...woke me and hubby up. Love winter!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Funny .... as always that Al Okra!

    On another note ... this has NOTHING to do with your post from today ...

    I was in the store .. Saw Honey Crisp apples ... remembered "Megan said this was a good apple, I'll have to try some"

    OMGosh ... you were 100% right ... everything you said they were plus some! I've been back three times for more apples ... thats more apples than I normally buy in an entire year or two! Thanks for the hot tip on Honey Crisp Apples!

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts?