Pages

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Here's Lookin' at Y'all: Oreo Eyeball Treats

I'm in trouble with Bean because I made her take her nap instead of going outside to play with the kids, who were across the street whoopin' it up at the time. Now they've gone back inside, so when Bean wakes up, she's going to be FURIOUS WITH MAMA because you know, I went out there and CHASED them, growling and frothy-mouthed, back into their house and told them NEVER TO COME OUTSIDE AGAIN because my job, it is to make my daughter's life as boring and miserable as possible.

So as a pre-emptive peace offering, instead of takin' this time to read a good book or take a shower or make up the beds or take a nap, I've been workin' on these:

Photobucket

I know! Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeew! But Mmmmmmmmmmmmm.

I'm calling these Oreo Eyeballs. They're a creepy take on the ever-popular Oreo Snowball, also know as Oreo Truffles, and they're pretty easy to make, alhough I will admit that working with almond bark is about as exasperating as plucking your eyebrows with a pair of kitchen tongs. (Not that I've ever tried to pluck my eyebrows with kitchen tongs, mind you. Have you?)

Here's how you do it.

Oreo Eyeballs
Ingredients:

1 18 oz. pkg. Oreo cookies
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
24 oz. vanilla almond bark
M&Ms
Red sugar
black frosting (I bought the kind in a tube.)

Directions:

Process cookies into crumbs in food processor. Add softened cream cheese and process until well-blended. Roll into balls a little bigger than a nickel. (Mine are too big, in my opinion.) Chill for at least an hour, in several small batches.

Melt almond bark in microwave according to package instructions. Remove one small batch of Oreo balls from the fridge and begin carefully dipping them into the almond bark. Allow excess bark to drip back into pot. Carefully plop eyeball onto wax paper and sprinkle liberally with red sugar. Mush a colored M&M into the center of the eyeball. Repeat about 9,000 times until you think if you see another Oreo ball or M&M you'll BARF. (Trust me.)

Finally, add black frosting pupils to eyeballs.

Easy, right?

Here's what Bean's gonna see when she wakes up and comes down from her nap.

Photobucket

Man, I hope these get me off the hook!

Okay, time to clean up the kitchen. I feel like I'm bein' WATCHED.



Y'all can subscribe to FriedOkra's feed here.

27 comments:

  1. They are so cute! I think you're off the hook!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are adorable!!! Great idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's Hi-Larry-us! You are such a creative mama. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are really cute and look very yummy. I make the truffles, but always with milk chocolate. I'll have to try these.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love those... definitely will soothe the little beast, I mean Bean!!

    Really, really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Grrr just last week I blogged begging for no more recipes, instead send the actual finished food. Since you made 9,000 surely you could spare a dozen or so for the underpriviledged family on The Avenue.

    ReplyDelete
  7. TOOO CYUUTE! I love these. I'm just going to have to make them next Halloween!!! What are the kids going to be for Halloween this year - can't wait to see!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Goulishly lovely eyeballs, and also delish. Great bribe I think...

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is just too cute! How clever of you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are adorable--I will have to make these! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's awesome! I wish I had the time to make those with Princess but we have so much going on. Between the birthday parties for classmates, events at church and Trick-or-Treating in town that girl's social calendar is F-U-L-L full!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That pumpkin can't be cuter! (or yummier!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are also super yummy at Christmas time, I add a drop of mint extract to them!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those are just creepy! But super cool. I might have to make those tonight. Maybe...

    ReplyDelete
  15. So freakin' cute! And sounds yummy too! Amen sister, to stingy almond bark, such a pain!

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are so cute and I bet they taste yummy too! I bet Bean will get one look at these and forget all about the kids across the street!

    Or better yet, she can take a plate of them outside and they will come running. She will be the hit of the street!

    ReplyDelete
  17. oooo those look yummy...sound yummmmmy....and would taste so good going into my tummmmmmy. sigh....you are killing me. sooooo cute too. I mean it...not gross at all, they are darling. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Max will love these! Thanks for posting the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those eyeballs are great! I'm copying down the recipe right now to use at my halloween party tomorrow. THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yummy mummy!! Hehehe! Happy Halloween!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Precious! Those are the yummiest lookin' eyeballs I've ever seen....um, that sounded better in my head!

    How did lil' Bean react?

    ReplyDelete
  22. C-EWWWWWW-te. I know Soph would love those next year!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh Gross! I've gotta do that next year. So cute, yucky, and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Those are cool. I made cupcakes last year and decorated them to look like scary eye balls

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts?