Pages

Monday, September 8, 2008

Bad Metaphors, Off-Color Imagery, and Pictures to Make It Up to You.

So.

The four days alone with the kiddos last week? 'Bout 50-50. Which, hey! That's not too bad, all things considered, wouldn't you say?

Thursday nearly killed me. Yeah, at one point Thursday I (quite accurately) sensed it'd come down to THEM or ME, and I looked up from the huddle to call in reinforcements from the bench on the ME side and found said bench empty. Frantically scanned the sidelines further to spy my entire team curled up in the fetal position under the Gatorade table, shivering and crying and hiccuping out, No, Coach, pleeease! Please do not send us back in! We're getting clobbered out there! They're ANIMALS!

Sadly the initial seconds of the first quarter had barely ticked by at the time, and I played the whole rest of the game alone with my jersey pulled up over my head as my only form of protective gear.

Oh, Thursday was one for the history books, indeed.

I can laugh now, but I think that is in large part thanks to the many, many shuddering blows to the head I sustained throughout the course of that particular bummy whuppin'.

The good news is, Thursday also marked the end of Mr. Peabody's fourth week on the outside, so I documented a peaceful moment or two of the day in pictures.

Photobucket

Aunt Jackie says he's looking much more alert this week. He is definitely awake more than he has been. Yeeeeesh! But he is THO CUTE! OHMYDOODNESS!

Photobucket

Bean loves her baby brother so much. I am absolutely amazed at her complete acceptance of him. He gives her so much joy already. I KNOW she will be the recipient of his first big gummy smile.

And I wouldn't have it any other way.

Photobucket

My heart melted into a puddle of butter when I saw this shot.

Today marked the first occasion upon which it fell solely upon my shoulders to get both chillun and myself to a scheduled activity. I've been training for it for a week, shaving minutes off the previous day's time by tweaking this or that in the routine. Today, I am proud to report, we were all up, clean, dressed, shod (except Mr. Peabody) and out the door at 8:45 AM. We walked around the block and came back inside because we didn't actually have to BE anywhere until 10:45. But you see,that left me with two hours worth of margin to make room for the unexpecteds that I fully expected.

Of course you KNOW that the first day I'm called upon to take both small people out and about, juggling the loose three-year-old, diaper bag, carseat, stroller, Peabody, purse and Snugli (because Mr. Peabody doesn't leave home without it, ever, such is his need to be affixed to my front side with his head near the food source at all times), would be the day that, after what has been reported as the worst late-summer dryspell on this part of the prairie in 75 years, the sky would open up and rain like a cow peein' on a flat rock (My Dad taught me that sayin' - is that not some imagery? Whew!) so that my particular three ring circus of getting us all out of the car and later back into the car would take place oh, pretty much completely under water?

Yeah.

Still, we made it on time and soggy or not, everyone behaved beautifully and now we're home and have all had lunch and miracle of miracles both kids are napping and I'm fixin' to to sip a cup of hot tea and have a big ol' happy gloat while I can.

I firmly suspect the opposing team will have studied the film from today's game and'll be prepared to whup me up one side and down the other again tomorrow.




Y'all can subscribe to FriedOkra's feed here.

30 comments:

  1. Usually I look to you for encouragement and confidence-building words when I think of maybe, one day, in the distant future, considering the possibility of, possibly, entertaining the idea of, being kinda iffy about having (and being able to manage life with) another child.
    But today?
    Notsomuch.
    :o)
    Thanks.
    Naw. I'm sorry they're kickin' your tail. I hear it gets better, so I'll be praying that for you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh gosh. Photos are totally worth it girl. Such bliss! I will say that I am not really looking forward to the day I need to leave the house with the baby. I might just become a hermit. Thankfully you can really do almost everything online now anyway... if only Starbucks would deliver iced lattes.

    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had forgotten what it was liking trying to get a newborn and all their "stuff" together along with a 3-year-old until a few weeks ago. I watched from the sideline as a mother was trying to get into Walmart with her sanity still intact. I wasn't sure she would accept help, but when I saw her later struggle out of Walmart I ran over. She burst into tears and was entirely too embarrassed. I felt her pain like I do yours now.

    I would've totally held an umbrella for ya'll and maybe a few bags and snugglies....

    ReplyDelete
  4. At least with your jersey pulled up over your head it was easier to feed the Peanut. The photos and the imagery you paint in this post are be-u-t-ful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have actually tried to hide under a blanket - gives me this lovely illusion they can't get to me - until they pull off my 'illusion' & climb on me again.

    Bean & Mr. Peabody look so sweet together, there's nothing like sibling love is there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Megan - he is just beautiful - like Bean! I really love that shot of his hands. I so wish I had hand and foot shots of my kids when they were babies. I'm going to remember that rain quote from your Dad - it's a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. AAAAHHHHHH!!! You post is reminding me of how, in the very short future, I will have to get my 5yr old to school, with my 3yr old and newborn in tow, but 8:00a. How am I ever going to do it???

    (breathe) It'll happen, just as it will with you, Bean and Peabody. Good job on getting out of the house and getting prepared.

    PS - Loved the comment from your dad regarding the rain. May have to use that one at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved your play-by-play here. Really made me smile.
    Can't believe it's been a month since Your Boy made his spectacular debut. Wow!

    Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  9. They are just gorgeous! Sorry you had a rough week. Hopefully this one will be better!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. One month already? How is that possible...*sigh* Love the new pictures. You have two unbelievably gorgeous kids! And don't worry - this two-kid stuff will be waaaaaay easier before you know it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Megan ...... He's as beautiful as his sister (boys CAN be beautiful at this age!) Love love love the black and white photo of their precious tiny fingers together!! Butter puddles are quite easy to understand!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yep, that was my biggest fear when I was preggers with my third child---how to go anywhere by myself with all three of them. But, they all made it to adulthood, thank you very much, so I know you will be fine.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh goodness, that is some imagery, yes. LOL! I loooove that picture of Mr. P holding Bean's hand. My heart is melting, too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What precious photos of your new little one and his precious sister! I hear you though...there were many days when my twins were babies when they definitely had me BEAT! I would just sit down and cry right along with them. And GUESS WHAT???? It happened ALL OVER AGAIN when I had their baby brother. You would have thought I would have learned something, but NOPE. It does get better though!

    ReplyDelete
  15. But you did it! And now when Al is there too it will all feel like a breeze in comparison, plus you know you can cope the next time he goes away.

    Well done Mama!!!!!!

    xxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. I couldn't love you any more, megan. If I did....it would be strange....and might make you go....hmmmmmm. tee hee...this post gave me the smile I was needing. thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You're a survivor! It is such a hard time, those first weeks with a new one. You're doing a fantastic job. Savor your success, wring out those wet clothes, and day by day life will feel a little more normal. :o)
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  18. How quickly the time goes by! Glad to hear you're hanging in there, I knew you were a survivor! Oh and the sheer adorableness, it's just what I needed today!

    Take care,
    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  19. I felt totally overwhelmed getting both kids out the door by myself even when "the baby" was 10 months! I applaud your training; it obviously has paid off.

    And WHUT A TYUTE WITTLE MAY-UN you got there!

    ReplyDelete
  20. The picture of the kiddos hands is precious. I had my children cast of my daughters(2 and half) hand holding my sons(6 weeks) foot. It is so sweet to look at now. They are 6 and 8 now. wow how fast they grow. best.

    Shelby

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for the reminder that in two short weeks I'll be doing this same thing - only add one more child. Baby is due Friday and hubby only gets 10 days off...... Somehow I have 1 week to practice getting all of us (myself, 4 yr. old, 2 yr. old and baby) ready to have 4yr. old at preschool by 8:30.... what was I thinking?

    I do like your 'game day' scenario. That is exactly what it feels like some days!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. The photos are so wonderful. He is so gorgeous, and Bean is the best big sister!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. We have similar pics of our kids when our daughter was born and our son was 4. He was totally mesmerized by his baby sister!

    Now 26 and 22, they have always been good buddies. When our son was a freshman in college, he spent spring break taking a road trip with his little sister, visiting family friends in several states and having a blast.

    Just recently, the daughter and her boyfriend spent Labor Day weekend with the son and his wife. What a blessing that they remain close and supportive of one another!

    I'm sure Bean and Peanut will do the same :-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. 4 weeks!? Already? Where does the time go. He is so precious- I need a scratch and snif computer screen so I could inhale his sweet baby scent

    ReplyDelete
  25. When my really good friend found out I was expecting my 2nd child, he told me, "One child is like an accessory. Two is really dadgum hard work".

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh, score one for the home team! YAYYYY!!!!!

    :)

    Beautiful pics--Mr. P has such beautiful eyes!

    ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  27. What beautiful children! Best wishes. I can't believe its been 4 weeks already.

    ReplyDelete
  28. As someone who got her bummy whupped every day this week (we're on a 3:1 defense; brutal), this post is timely and needed.

    And those pictures? Oh my granny. That's why we're in this game, yes?

    ReplyDelete
  29. I can't get over how gorgeous your two children are. And how much you can see that Bean loves Peanut! Your little man is so gorgeous it makes me ache wanting to meet my little man already!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Your baby is soooooo cute! And so is your daughter. You are so blessed.

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts?