Pages

Monday, August 25, 2008

Three O'Clock and All Is Well.

I hafta hurry I hafta hurry I hafta hurry!

Naptimes for the Okra chiddren won't be overlapping as much as I'd hoped/planned/prayed/so-cleverly-manipulated for, so I do not have much time before a hungry little man wakes up to sing me his sad serenade about how the milkies, they are not a'flowin' like they should be and his mother done lef' him in a wet diaper fer days on end, an' puh-leeeease won't somebody pleeeeeeeeeease save him from this turrable, wretched life he's a'livin'?

Hiya!

So, it's my first day home alone with the two kids.

See how I wrote that all calm-sounding? Like Hoopty doo I'm alone with two children, no biggie! Tra la la la laaa!

Yeah, see that's the beauty of the written word. On paper, you can make words LOOK however you want 'em to look. But now if you could hear me speak those words, you wouldn't have to listen too hard to hear the stark terror in my voice - the sheer panic at the thought that at any moment these two small people could join forces and do me quite in without so much as a moment's notice. You'd note my sweat-stained pits (flop sweat!), see my huge, dilated pupils and mark the tremor of my hands, and you'd know the real truth.

Mama didn't feel quite ready for dis.

BUT, you know? All that fear and terror stuff aside, things are going (bangs head and both fists vigorously on the nearest wood surface) fairly-sorta-okayish. We'd have had a stellar morning if I could only figger out how to tell this tiny little chappy the following in baby-ese:

Yes, I do understand that you need to burp and poop, and I am sorry for your suffering. The solution to your two-pronged gaseous problem is to push up and push down, your choice what order to go in (some people can do both at the same time!). I will be happy to hold your little hand as you figure this out but could you please stop shouting, "I have to burp and poop! I HAVE TO BURP AND POOP! I HAVE TO I HAVE TO I HAVE TO!" at the top of your lungs until neither one of us can breathe or think a clear thought? Please? Great! Thank you.

Instead we spent two full and miserable hours in blood-curdling I Have to Burp and Poop Hell and then miraculously, out of the blue, there was thunder and lightening and the earth shook and then all went silent and we changed out of our pajamas and into our clothes and walked to the playground. And since then, life has been pretty sweet. And it'll stay that way until more burps and poops need to escape, which I predict will fall right at dinnertime and last until my eyes are spinning around in their sockets and rolling out onto the floor.

I've been praying for a week about this day - just leaning on God to give me what I need to do what needs to be done for my little family from hour to hour on this, my first real, serious day as a mother of two. And as long as I haven't worried or tried to think too far (longer than 10 minutes is too far) in advance, He's given me peace and patience and love aplenty, and I am thankful not only for His grace in abundance today, but for this sweet reminder that I never have to do anything, anything alone.

For he is with me, lo, even as I wait out the burps and the poops.

Pictures! I've got pictures!

Photobucket
Our first Big Laundry Day (a couple weeks ago now) as a Four Basket Family. It's not as artsy a shot as I'd hoped, but I love what it says. What it means.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


Photobucket

Oh, and I'm sharing classic pregnancy humor from my first trimester over at 5 Minutes for Parenting, in case you need a little extra laugh this fine Monday.



Y'all can subscribe to FriedOkra's feed here.

35 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! That little foot is just adorable. Actually all the pics are great - that's a beautiful family you've got there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How I love baby feet!!!

    You'll get the hang of this mother-of-two thing in no time.

    When you get a chance, go over to my blog to drool over a plate of fried okra I made!

    ReplyDelete
  3. your children are beautiful!!!

    you WILL get through this. i just had my third and - although it does take me significantly longer to get out the door - we are slowly figuring things out!!!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. The baby toes are just too cute!

    Sounds like you're making it through this first day just fine. It may be a little noisy and brain scrambling but everyone will be just fine.

    And Maffew, repeat after me... a little gas is nothing to cry over.

    Although Princess did plenty of crying over gas, which made me cry over gas. But enough about my family. You're gonna be just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're doing great. Everything will be JUST FINE.

    Re: The poop and burp wail - Anise seed and peppermint tea, you drink it, or you can give him a little bit of some. Works like a charm. I promise. If you want more details, email me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. He does look a bit surprised. His sister looks thrilled. And he does have an awfully cute foot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That teensy foot is PERFECT. Bean is such a gorgeous girl and Peanut is sooooo stinking cute! Going from one to two takes a bit of getting used to but I KNOW that you can do it. AND you'll do it far better than I did, I'm sure! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such sweet, sweet pictures!! :) Glad things are going well, hope Peanut gets a bit more efficient with the gas!

    Take care,
    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  9. All of the photos are great - I do love the foot one the best... and of daddy, sister and baby laying down in a "circle".

    BTW, I did not make much milk either. I had 4 oz, in 24 hours of pumping and that was both sides.... I guess it happens, and they no longer make a pill to make your milk come in - 'cause not many use it.

    I am just mentioning, to save you the grief, saddness and horrible mother feelings I went through.. oh, and did I mention frustration too?

    Hope your two kid day went well! Kat

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well done on your first day on your own. I am currently on my first day too, and miracle of miracles, both children are sleeping AT THE SAME TIME! I hope the rest of your week runs smoothly. And those photos are great. I love the photo of the four laundry baskets, just because I have the same thing at home too!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, look at that happy family, and those sweet feet.

    This will pass so quickly, Megan. It won't be long before you won't remember what you used to do, before! For now, it is survival mode. Go with the flow. It will come together eventually. No, seriously. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ah, yes; the burps and poops. I so know of what you speak.

    It gets easier! It does.

    Your pictures are lovely. I'm so glad you're all doing so well!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Do you know about Mylicon drops? Before he eats...takes away the burpy stress...did for us, anyway. :)

    You're going to be GREAT at this! Look! You've already tackled FOUR laundry baskets. So impressed with you. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey that first day is always pretty tough, but I bet you feel super proud of yourself now :) I hope the rest of the week flows like a dream for you...as does your milk ;)

    Lovely photos of your TWO beautiful kids, especially the one wih their Daddy. I bet Peanut is going to inherit that amazing smile too :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh.. he is just so yummy! I can't believe he's almost 3 weeks old! Where has the time gone?

    ReplyDelete
  16. That first day alone with a small baby and a toddler is just INTENSELY scary. It quickly gets easier, though!
    And I cannot BELIEVE how cute your kids are. The sweetness!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The first picture was cute, the next were cuter and that last one? Over the top!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Megan! He is SOOOOO ADORABLE!!! I hope yall are taking video aplenty. I wish I had more of Aver when she was but a wee one. He really is just as cute as can be. He is so tiny!!! And Bean is so big!!! xoxo Julie

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful family pics!

    I often wonder when my boys are gonna realize they have me outnumbered...

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love your way with words! You have an adorable family and total goofball hubby, what more could anyone want? Thanks for your posts and piccies...I shall be returning!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh! my! goodness! your children are beautiful!! The baby is so wide-eyed and cute and your daughter is beautiful.

    I hope your first day alone went okay. I do understand. I had a baby back in April (that also ended in c-section) and I was terrified that first day by myself as a mama of 3. You'll settle into a routine soon!!

    Hang in there!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful pictures! You're doing a great job Mommy and you've been a mother of two for far longer than just today! Today is just another day!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great shots! I love the one of all three of your sweeties best!

    I'm struggling a bit with the whole "home along w/ 2" thing. I hope my groove finds me soon. I'm too sleep deprived to go and find it on my own!

    ReplyDelete
  24. You will do fine, I promise! I felt the exact same way as you did when I was transitioning from the one kid to two. Oh my heavens, though, did it scare the crud out of me for a while!

    ReplyDelete
  25. so so so so cute.

    and if you want sympathy from me, next time try not to be so funny about it. it's hard to feel pity while rolling around laughing.

    i'm just sayin'

    xo~K

    (ps - declan had that same little outfit and botties and hat... YUM!!)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Transitioning from one to two was the very hardest of all and now with four my head is in a spinning state all the time:)!

    Loved the post! You captured mom feelings I've frequently had in such a funny and heartwarming way!!

    Love, love, love the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I can sooo relate to what you wrote in this post! I remember so well how hard it was to transition from one to two little persons under my (sole!) care during the day. I actually found it really really hard and didn't do so well at it till maybe 5 or 6 months postpartum, but I know you are MADE for the job and will be just fine! You know it is hard work already, and there will be plenty of head-spinning yet to come (!), but somebody said it already - you just keep on swimming, er, GOING, and eventually you are just DOING it, running on automatic and realising that it has become a lot easier than you remembered it to be. You definitely fall into a natural rhythm as time goes by, and everyone in the household settles into the new way (and that is key, by the way, EVERYONE needs to settle in, each individual person (all four of you individually), so don't take on too much guilt over any difficulties because they may be some till EVERYONE is settled in. Hang in there! It's so wonderfully worth the head-spinning days!

    Thank you so much for the perfect photos! You have TWO of the sweetest little ones I ever did see, all TWO of them. BOTH of them are so adorable! And EACH of them looks so much like Al and yet so much like you :) It's such a lovely and mind-boggling thing when you can say, "I have TWO children!!" in the early weeks and months! Enjoy! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh goodness, girl, how I love you. But I think I love your kiddos more. My oh-so-sadly-pale skin envies their beautiful dark tone and I think I've made it clear I'm in love with the hair. IN LOVE.

    I also love that you have "milkies" in your house... that's what we have here, too. Of course, the 2yo likes to point to half-nekkid manequins in the mall and proclaim that, hey, look, there's some milkies. Ahem.

    ReplyDelete
  29. :D Sorry about your burp and poop hell. I hope today went better for ya.

    Before you know it, you'll be swingin like a pro...

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh, that foot is too cute! Hang in there- I know that you know that the time goes way TOO fast and this will all be over soon, but just a reminder. I remember feeling that panic whenever my husband would leave me alone with my son, too, for the first couple weeks! Hope the rest of your day goes better!

    Also, I'm sure you've tried gas drops for the burping/pooping problem- 100 people suggested that for my son each day (he actually has acid reflux), so sorry if 100 people have already told you that. :) They actually didn't work for Z when he was tiny- but when he was about 5-6 months, they started helping him some.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh I so remember that day! But you're doing great -- you even had time to blog (which is more than I could say for myself). My first child had terrible issues with gas . . .

    Hang in there --

    ReplyDelete
  32. You are such a fun writer and a great Mama! I love the pictures, especially with the of your loves in it!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Oh Megan...those pictures. There is just sumpthin' about baby piggies. I was looking at my boys' feet the other day and said, "Yep, you're no longer my babies...your toes are starting to look like creepy little boy toes." Thrilled them to death!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I'm late to the photos!
    Heck they are all so adorable.

    I can't wait to see more.
    I do hope you are well and you are all getting settled in!

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts?