Pages

Friday, August 15, 2008

I Knew It Had To Be In the Genes

Jo-Lynne was the first famous blogger I "met" online, after I'd been reading her blog for several months. I remember feeling like I'd just had an audience with The Queen Herself after our first e-mail exchange. Even though now we're friends and she's my boss (or is it partner?) (and a very good one, I might add) over at Chic Critique, I'm still in every bit awe of her talents and energy as I was back when I lurked around on her blog and she didn't know I existed. I appreciate your fillin' in for me Jo-Lynne! It's a little bit like Madonna herself performing at the Pleasant Little Town Rotary Rib-fest and Carnival, I know, so thanks for being such a great sport.

I think every parent probably hopes they will have a kid that looks and acts like them. Even if we aren't particularly enchanted with our own looks and traits, there is just something about seeing our offspring reflecting us in some way that melts our hearts. Or is it just me?

True confessions: I'm a hair twirler. I have always said I was glad my vice was hair twirling and not thumb-sucking or some other habit that I would have been forced to break. Because I don't know how I would have done it. When I am tired or upset or just plain bored, to this very day, I find myself twirling my hair. I try not to do it in public, because let's face it, while it's not anti-social, it just looks silly to see a grown woman twirling her hair. But sometimes I forget and find myself twirling away.

I've twirled my hair for as long as I can remember. In one of my mother's family photo albums, there is a picture of me in my Gramma's house when I was about three years old, twirling my hair. I emailed my mom and asked her to find it and scan it. She remembers it well.

Photobucket


When my son was born, I waited to see if he would pick up any soothing habits -- thumb sucking, a blankie, a stuffed toy... or hair twirling, perhaps? He chose none of the above. He was a self-soother, I guess.

When my first daughter was born, three years later, there were times when I thought I saw her twirling what little hair she had, but the habit never took. She had no vices (except wanting mommy to hold her 24/7).

Then my second daughter (I call her R on the blog) came along, another three years later. She took a paci for a while, but during a particularly bad cold in her first year of life, she was unable to suck on the paci and breathe at the same time, and she chose to breathe. Smart kid. The pacis went by the wayside. It seemed I had another self-soother. I pretty much gave up on having another hair twirler in the family. In fact, I didn't even really think about it one way or the other.

Then this past spring, when I began potty-training R, she started twirling her silky blond hair. SERIOUSLY! She seemed to do it when she was stressed or agitated about going on the potty. The first time I saw her do it, I didn't pay much attention. But then I saw her doing it again and again. Now it's definitely a habit.

I know it's crazy, but I just love it. Particularly because this is the child, out of all three, who looks the most like her dad. But the hair twirling -- that's ALL me.

Photobucket


Jo-Lynne writes daily at her personal blog, Musings of a Housewife, and she's the owner and editor of Chic Critique -- a collaborative blog about all things beauty and health.



Y'all can subscribe to FriedOkra's feed here.

4 comments:

  1. Aww cute post! My son and I are both hair twirlers too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love seeing my daughter do things I know she gets from me, but one of these days I'm afraid she might pick up on one of my "lesser" habits ;) What a sweet post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is cute. No hair twirlers in our family. But my son has shown to have some of my traits - like not being a morning person, eating very s-l-o-w-l-y, daydreaming, being bossy - I could go on and on! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww! Our baby takes after her daddy in just about every way. So I'm always looking for SOMEthing, ANYthing, that shows we're related!

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts?