Pages

Friday, July 25, 2008

Want Nostalgia with That, Hon?

Happy Friday! I'm 38 weeks preggo today and I feel pretty good, actually. I'll update the Peanut blog later today with the particulars, so as not to bore you with details here, but I thought I'd give you this little progress report. I went to the OB Monday and among other news, she reports that Peanut already weighs (well, weighed, 4 days ago) 7 lbs. 7 oz. OY. That's already way bigger'n Bean ever was, and I do feel that bigness. See? I've been tellin' people this child is HEE-YUGE. A mama knows things.

I'm over at Chic Critique today, talkin' about big hair mistakes of my past and a clever, simple little rinse for tired out, stressed out hair. I was supposed to write more about heart health, but I've got a little something I'm working on for that topic that needs a bit more finessing before I can reveal it, so you've got another week to eat bacon and drink milk-shakes before I lower the boom on all of our fatty fun.

Speaking of which, B and I ventured out to a local farm market yesterday to make our first annual purchase of fresh, locally-grown sweet corn, and a couple of the biggest, reddest, most delicious tomatoes I've tasted in a long time. So I boiled up the corn and fried some bacon and we had BLTs and fresh corn and sliced strawberries with honey for dinner last night and man, I'll tell you WHAT, people, that there was sheer summertime heaven on a plate. I'd say that was EASILY one of the top 5 BLTs I've ever had in my life. And I've had some good ones.

Back in South Carolina, in the larger city next to my little home town, we had a stubborn hold-out Eckerd Drugstore, cramped and dusty and quiet like a library, complete with an old-fashioned lunch counter that fought progress and stayed open well into the 1990s. I used to go eat lunch there once a week as a 20-something year-old. I'd always have a BLT because I SWEAR they put like a POUND of bacon on that thing. It'd be piled so high I'd have to squish the sandwich waaaaaay down between my hands before I could bite into it, and out would run this pink soupy concoction - a perfect blend of fresh tomato juice and real Hellman's mayonnaise flecked with black pepper. And I'd have a fountain Coke with it. And a side of those thick diner fries globbed up with Heinz ketchup spanked out of a glass bottle with a white metal cap.

That Eckerd's long gone now, but the memories I have of those BLTs in that tired drugstore diner, consumed with youthful gusto among the quiet old people who'd probably been eatin' at that counter for most of their adult lives? They are always there, just beneath the surface. And one crisp, salty-sweet bite into a BLT still takes me right back.

Ah, why do things have to change?

Why, people?

Tomorrow brings the sixth chapter in The Best of FriedOkra: How I Met Your Father, the story of my 36th birthday -- one that changed my life forever.

Y'all can subscribe to FriedOkra's feed right here.

21 comments:

  1. Oh, my stomach is a growlin' now. I LOVE a good BLT. Sometimes I go to Sonic without the kids and order one with extra bacon (they never put enough) and a diet dr pepper with lime. Pure bliss, I tell you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love a good BLT, too. I may just have to make some tonight.
    I am surprised Hellman's is your mayo of choice. Hubby's South Carolina family is big on Duke's mayo. I do love the Hellman's myself. I'll think of you as I enjoy a BLT tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aren't BLTs with fresh homegrown tomatoes one of the most delightful summertime indulgences?! That is the FIRST thing hubby and I make with the tomatoes we get from our garden each year.
    Glad to hear you and Peanut are doing well! Don't fret too much about Peanut's size, they could be overestimating on you...Sweetpea was estimated at 8lbs 14oz the day before I was induced, and came out a sweet 7lbs 4oz!
    Can't wait to hear more about how things are going over at Peanut's blog.
    Take care,
    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those ultrasounds can be waaaaaay off. They told me that AT THE MOST Monkey would weigh 7 pounds, that he was a tiny baby. TWO DAYS later he was born at 8lbs2oz! Then they induced my SIL because her baby was 'too big' and she was born only a little over 6 pounds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah for 38 weeks! You're getting close. My second baby was 9 lbs, 6 ounces. Let me tell you - I was pretty worried about the next pregnancy but he was smaller!
    I think I need a BLT for lunch now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the veggies and fruit from farmers markets. We go three times a week, to three different ones. All of our canning tomatos come from the farmers market.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yeah, I totally need a BLT now! It's the flavor combination plus the textural variation, I think, that makes it so delicious. I'm all about analyzing my food obsessions...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmmm. Bacon and fresh ripe tomatoes.... now I'm all rumbly in my tumbly from reading your post. And I still have at least an hour before I can go for lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE BLT's and haven't had one for years. Mainly because for some reason I can't get the bacon right. I either cook it too long or not long enough. I guess I'm bacon challenged.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm having a tomato sandwich for lunch today but now you are making me wish I had some bacon in the fridge.

    If running out to the store with two kids didn't involve lots of whining and about two hours of my time, I would get some. But oh, well. Maybe next time I'll be better prepared!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I used to LOVE Eckerd's when I'd visit family in Louisiana! My cousin and I would walk there everyday and try a new perfume.

    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  12. I guess people have already said this, but yeah, don't put too much stock in the ultrasound or what the dr. says Peanut will weigh. They told me over and over that Z would be huge, and then the morning of the day he was born, my water had already broken & they did an ultrasound and said that he would weigh less than 7 pounds. He was 7 lbs, 11 oz. So they don't really have a clue. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Corn...one of the most beautiful four-letter words EVAH! And though I'm "allergic" to tomatoes (oh! the horrors!), I sure can tell the home grown ones from grocery store variety.

    Thanks for a few memories of a by-gone era...you took me waaaay back with the Eckerd's reference.

    Catching up with my Fried Okra...I'll be here a while :).

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree to take the weight guess with a pinch of salt. My friend was told her baby would only be 5 lbs and he was 7 lbs! Another friend was warned to expect a 10 lb whopper and he was a very reasonable 8 lbs ;) I can guarantee he'll weigh more than his sistr though! My boy did despite being 3 weeks earlier than her!

    Hmmmm BLT.... I know what I'm having for tea now!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ah, the lunch counter...there was one in Woolworth's even when I was in college in the early 90's (1990's, not 1890's, as my peeps would have you believe). The best grilled cheese and BLT.

    When is Peanut gonna "head out"? (Okay, that sounds more than a little obscene that I planned.)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, a BLT sounds wonderful--with a fresh, REAL, non-supermarket-bought tomato. Strange that I didn't like fresh tomatoes until about 3 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  17. My grandmother made BLTs like that. She would put an inch of mayo on both slices of bread -- Blue Plate mayo -- because there is a difference!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh that sounds heavenly. I love nothing better than a plate of fresh sliced home grown tomatoes with a sprinkling of salt & pepper - yum-o!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Now I want a BLT -- BAD!!!

    And just to ease your mind about the baby measurements while in utero: they can often be way off. At least the were for me. They told me #4 was HUGE and he wasn't. He ended up being my smallest baby. (of course, they told me #3 was average and she topped out at over 9 lbs, so maybe I should just shut it)

    Good luck either way! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, that sounds so yummy! In California where I grew up they had stands every summer that just sold fresh corn and those big red tomatoes. We would make them a lunch and dinner staple during that time of year.

    My first son was 9.4 lbs and my last daughter was just over 6 lbs! It's amazing the range!!

    Sounds like mom and baby are healthy which of course is most important!! I keep checking to see if baby has arrived :)!

    ReplyDelete
  21. There is NOTHING like a good BLT. That's heaven on a plate right there.

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts?