Pages

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

My Husband, Samantha Stevens

Okay, since ya'll got such a kick out of Al's antics over this past weekend, I've got one more tale to share, and this one ends with a little twist. A Puzzler, Click-and-Clack-the-Tappet-brothers style, for y'all to figger out.

(Do y'all listen to their show by the way? Car Talk? 'Cause if you don't, you should give it a try one Saturday morning when you're out running around in the car. Those two guys are HIE-larious -- you would LOVE IT. I promise!)

The lightbulb in our overhead garage door opener burned out about two weeks ago. It's not a huge deal -- we have another overhead light in the garage we can turn on when we need one, but turning that light on involves EFFORT, because the switch isn't particularly conveniently located, and frankly, I'm not all that into exerting EFFORT these days. So later in the day after Al had been out in that garage banging around installing my new depth perception assistant, I went out there to do something or other, and on my way back in, I flipped the switch of the burned-out light in hopes I'd find it fixed.

But nothin' doin'. Still deader'n a doornail.

I came on in the house somewhat - um - mystified, I'll admit. He'd been out there with a ladder riggin' up that stinkin' tennis ball - why hadn't he replaced the burned out lightbulb a few feet away while he was up there?

(I must point out that Mama's no shrinkin' violet and would GLADLY have changed that lightbulb a week ago except her husband doesn't believe pregnant women should EVER CLIMB ANYTHING. EVER. GET OFF THAT 6 INCH FOOTSTOOL, WOMAN! YOU'RE GONNA KILL YOURSELF! I should tell you my attic story from when I was pregnant with Bean someday. One of those classic tales about two stubborn mules living under the same roof. I'm just not sure I could make it as funny to you as it is to me. One of those "You had to be there" deals.)

"No new lightbulb?" I asked him.

He looked at me. And he smiled. I think he had one of those little sparkly things on his front teeth, even. *DING* Then he reached up and twinkled his nose back and forth with one finger.

"Oh! I'm sorry! I completely forgot. But don't worry, it's done now - I just did it Bewitched!-style. Go look."

Huh?

But I did. I went out there and looked, and that light? Was ON, goshdarnit.

What the ...?

"HOW did you do THAT?"

"You saw me." He smiled with wide-eyed innocence, "I just twitched my nose."

He is so quick on his feet, that man. But I finally figured it out later. Can y'all?

What REALLY happened here?

26 comments:

  1. Is it one of those fluorescent lights that takes a minute to come on?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm. Does the "clicker" for your garage door opener have an overhead light lock on it like our old one did? Kooshla-ma-ree!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got nothing! I think I like AL more all the time, though. He's got a great sense of humor!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just want to know if we're supposed to start calling you Darwin or not.

    ReplyDelete
  5. did he turn off the power to replace the other thing?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perhaps a new version of The Clapper, called "The Wrinkler"?

    Oh how I miss those brothers--still try to get NPR online and it works every so often!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would have to guess that he turned the power off to change the lightbulb.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay............he ......damnit nothin

    did he flip the breaker while you were out in the garage?

    ReplyDelete
  9. SONya HENnie's Tutu! The man is a wizard.

    ReplyDelete
  10. (Falls out of chair laughing.)

    Lainey(BloginMyEye), every day I love you more, and that's sayin' sump'm, 'cause I have known you for a LOT of days.

    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. The breaker. That's the only thing I can think of.

    (And you know what? That's a lie. I didn't think of that. But when I read it in the other comments, it made sense to me.)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh! We've listened to Car Talk for years, courtesy of my dad. We even got him a bunch of paraphernalia one year for Father's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. He's a magic man, he is!!! I'm guessin is was the breaker switch but that's not original...I'm no genius

    ReplyDelete
  14. My first guess is that he used a remote control to turn it on. Second guess is the same as lora lynn's - it is one of those fluorescent bulbs that takes a little to warm up and come on.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've got nothing for the puzzler but I did want to comment on Car Talk. Mike subscribes to the podcast and we listen to it every time we go anywhere long distance. We also get Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me. Funny stuff! We're getting old, aren't we?

    ReplyDelete
  16. You know Megan I could read pages and pages of just your titles--they're always good for a chuckle :)

    I should hire you to write mine for me because I'm always dead when it comes to those.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I never was good at the Puzzlers. But boy do I love Car Talk! My favorite part is the list at the end of the show of their sponsors, their ad agency, and legal firm (Dewey, Cheatham and Howe--I'll never forget!)

    ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  18. I can't come up with anything that hasn't already been in the comments. So tellllll usssss, how's he do it??

    ReplyDelete
  19. Car Talk is a family favorite. My sister lives in Boston, and her husband drove me by the "Dewey, Cheatham, and Howe" lawfirm. Not sure if I spelled the names right, but you get the point. Isn't that from Car Talk?

    ReplyDelete
  20. I can't think of anything AT ALL. I'd just have been staring at him wide-eyed in astonishment.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Did he move the switch? You said it was in a very inconvenient place. Did he connect to a switch somewhere else? That's what my hubby would have done.

    ReplyDelete
  22. LOVE "Car Talk." But, it's not on at the same time or on the same day in all cities and is not on all local NPR stations (you know, funding and all that). Just FYI for your readers.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Summer in Fla.....Have you read what Megan has said about her hubby? If he moved the switch without electrocuting himself, I'll be a monkey's aunt....

    Just kidding Megan, he's a wonderful hubby.

    ReplyDelete
  25. OH! He's the BEST kindof husband EVER. He's willing to leave the electrocuting to the professionals!

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts?