Pages

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Works For Me Wednesday: Owie-Nosies-and-Snot-Troughs-Be-Gone

OHMYGRANNY! Have y'all been out and shopped for tissue lately? It's like buyin' a CAR, for cryin' outloud. They make tissue impregnated with just about anything you could need or want these days, don't they?

Except, I would argue, for the ONE THING that would actually WORK on these sore little nosies our kids are sportin' right about now. But Mama has devised her own little home remedy and guess what? It's BEAN TESTED. And BEAN APPROVED!

I put my sick baby Bean down for her nap two days ago, her little schnoz and snot-trough (that little groove between the nose and the upper lip? You know the one?) all red and raw. I felt so bad for her I didn't even try to score a REAL kiss - I just went for the forehead, right above her sad, plaintive lil eyebrows and her watery little green eyes. And I limped slump-shouldered from the room under the weight of my aching Mama's heart. My poor BEAN!

Moments later, urgent, broken-hearted wailing shattered my early-naptime reverie and I reported post-haste to the patient's bedside, to see her sitting up in bed with hot tears raining down her sweet, soft, flushed cheeks.

"Dis huuuuuuuuurts, Mama! Will you bring me a warm cloff-cloff (washcloth)?" she sobbed, pointing to her nose and its surrounds. I expeditiously gathered up a soft pink cloff-cloff and moistened it with warm water and helped her apply it to the area.

More wailing.

A warm cloff-cloff? Not the answer.

Hmm. What we have here is a chafed, red, raw area which aches constantly and REALLY hurts when touched, and has to be touched on occasion to prevent everything in the household from becoming encrusted with the reknown Goopy Toddler Snail Trail.

So I pondered. And thunk. And lo and behold, I came up with an idear!

I mixed a little half-dime-sized glob of my favorite cold cream, made by Merle Norman (okay it was made by Merle Norman about 20 years ago and I have no idea if they still make it... heck does Merle Norman even still exist?) (It's my family's answer to the family in My Big Fat Greek Wedding's Windex. We call it "pink lotion" and it works a TREAT on chapped lips and other raw skin) with a teeny little dab of Orajel (yes, the kind you put on teeth and gums!) until they were all smooth and combined, and then Bean and I wrestled for a few minutes until I finally got some onto her sore nose/lip area.

And there was a whimper. Followed by a pause. Followed by a little rainbow spreading across that sad little cloudy face.

And the napping! It commenced! Quietly and with peace and joy for all!

When she finally awoke two-and-a-half hours later and came dragging her teddy into my room, I brightly inquired how her sleep had been.

"Gooooooooooood." she drowsily replied. "Mama, I need s'more of dat pink lotion for my nosie. Dat felt weally much better."

No wrestling required for the second (or subsequent)application of Mama's Wonder Lotion.

And thus was born my secret cure for owie nosies. Cold cream with Orajel. And BONUS, people: For about a half an hour after application, I can even gently wipe her nose with tissue or a cloff-cloff without inciting riot!

P.S. Someone recently told me to try putting Orajel on my eyebrow area a few minutes before I pluck, too! I can't wait to try that out.

If you'd like a little more inspiration today, check out Works for Me Wednesday's temporary home at Don't Try this At Home.

22 comments:

  1. I am impressed. That is some big time thinking outside the box. My brain would never have gone there in a million years. What a good mommy you are.
    Smiles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i will most definitely be trying this. we are in the midst of colds and sore noses are right around the corner.

    Glad to see you back around!

    Blessings,
    K

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a great idea! I can't wait to try that one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have no idea how timely your advice is - my youngest is so sick right now and there is no wiping once the nose gets sore. I am going to look for the ora jel today.

    Been missing you! Glad to see you posting and hope you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I'm so buying some stock in Orajel!

    ('cause I was "blessed" with way too much o' eyebrow - ug!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've used diaper cream in the past to help heal and protect a raw schnoz and it worked pretty well. But my baby's nose still hurt while it was healing.

    Gonna have to try some of Bean's Momma's Wonder Lotion next time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very clever. I will have to remember that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Genius!
    We're all still sick here. THIS COLD IS HORRIBLE!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always put chapstick (the soft blistex, actually) on Riley & Aislyn's noses when they have that problem! I never would have thought of cold cream and orajel!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea. My kids (6 and 4) are beyond teething, so I might have to go BUY some orajel ! I think I will though because winter is coming (I'm in Australia) and that's sore nosies season !

    ReplyDelete
  11. One thing you might want to do is reconsider using an old cold cream. Could have all kinds of germs in there! You know they say staph/strep is often found in the nose.

    Sounds like a good mix though..I might would want to buy new products to use and use a q-tip to mix before applying.

    Also you might want to consider using the Neosporin with pain relief....it couldn't hurt.

    Christie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Way to think on your feet! Will be using this idea soon as my Bubs is fighting off the sniffle blues.
    Thanks for passing your idea along, Shug!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Inspired! Baby ChubChub screams her little head off when I try to wash her nose out. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a good idea - I would have never thought of it. You're a smart one!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is ingenious!! You are super mom for sure. It might just work on big noses too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great hint! Aren't YOU the good Mommy? I think you're ready for #2 now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. SMART MOMMY!! I THINK YOU MIGHT COUDL MARKET THIS. WHY HAVEN'T THEY INVENTED NUMBING TISSUES YET FOR SORE ACHEY NOSES????

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oooh, good one. Tracy over at www.faeriecastle.blogspot.com sent me a link to this post a little while ago and I forgot to read. I'm so glad I remembered.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Found you today...and not a moment too soon. There's no toddler nosies that hurt here right now, but a big-fat-pregnant-momma nosie. And said Momma isn't happy about the situation.

    Off to find a reasonable facsimilie of Merle Norman Cream and some orajel! Bless you!

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts?