Pages

Friday, February 1, 2008

The Excitement? Yeah, I'd Call it Palpable.

Ah, cruel irony, thou dost tease and cajole a Mama.

Lo, all of my crooning over the beauty and excitement of snow have brought about the winter storm of the year, smack dab darnit on the date of our highly-anticipated departure to lovely coastal Carolina. Curses.

Instead of leaving at noon today and arriving in time for a heapin' helpin' of Grandmama FriedOkra's Hamburger Casserole (remind me, you need this recipe), we're going to be starting the FIRST LEG of our journey tonight at 6:16 PM, which, calculating travel times and our requisite share of delays, snafus, and turn-arounds, should land our heads safely on pillows around 2 AM this morning.

Which will sadly mean we miss The Casserole. Which I can tell you right now has sent Al into a furious tailspin of depression. I will not speak for him but I'm speculatin' from his current mood that The Casserole may have been Al's Number One Top Most Looked-Forward To Component of The Vacation.

I have already promised him that it will make for a very hearty breakfast tomorrow morning.

When Bean heard me tell Daddy our flight had been cancelled this morning she was crestfallen. BUT I WANNA GO TO THE BEACH AND SEE MY NANA! This child is READY TO GO and has packed and unpacked her backpack eightyleven times this morning as she needs SOMETHING to do with all her nervous energy. I've learned a vaaaaaaaluable parenting lesson: Do Not Tell Your Child About An Upcoming Trip or Exciting Event Until The Moment You Arrive At Your Final Destination.

Because disappointed toddler tears are the most heart-wrenching tears I've ever witnessed.

The Al's Not Gettin' The Casserole Tonight tears, though, are a mighty close second.

Here's Bean, already shiny-eyed with excitement, yesterday. Corey, I tried out the un-centered approach to photography from your lesson this week in these. Well, I edited them that way, anyway. Clearly, I still have much to learn.

Photobucket

Photobucket

And ARGH! This just in. More delays. Maybe we'll get to The Beach by Wednesday. Nana, put a hunk of The Casserole in the freezer for Al.

Sigh.

26 comments:

  1. Grandmama FriedOkra's Hamburger Casserole is a favorite here. I still have the card that you gave me when I flew the nest and moved on my own so far from home. I have cooked it for Topher many times, and it is one of his faves. I can't have much of it now - too many Weight Watcher points, but it a goodie.

    Here's hoping you a great travel night, and a wonderful coastal visit. Are you going to the usual place? We are hoping to go back again in June.

    Hugs to y'all and also to Nana and the rest of the family.

    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  2. ARGH. How frustratin'. Hang in there, Li'l Bean!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know about that nervous energy! Hope you get out of there as quickly and as safely as possible. Just keep thinking about that sea air - oh I miss it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no! I had hoped you had grabbed some lollipops and were happily thousands of feet in the air right now.

    But I'm now very happy that I kept our vacation a secret from Princess. With my luck a blizzard would have hit New England that day and I would have had to deal with the same disappointment that Bean is expressing now.

    Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh man!!! what a bummer! i so hope the skies shall clear and the snow shall melt soon.

    Love the Bean pictures - nice off-center approach! I am still working on that one and never can get my shots to look anything close to Corey's.

    ReplyDelete
  6. she is a doll.

    hope y'all are on your way! Have a wonderful trip.

    Blessings,
    Karla

    ReplyDelete
  7. How frustrating! I hope you get to travel, soon, and safe and sound!

    ReplyDelete
  8. On No! This crazy weather - we're getting hit up here again too. Hope you leave soon, and find some casserole waiting for you. Those are such cute pictures of Bean - her eyes really are shining!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aw, that's too bad. I well know how sad a disappointed kid can be.
    She's such a pretty little girl - and I love her red shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope you get there soon!

    Bean gets cuter and cuter every day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. All three (yes, THREE) G'mama F's casseroles are still untouched waiting until y'all get here. I just saw them in the fridge safe and sound about an hour ago. Looks like Al will have more than one hearty breakfast while he's here. :)

    Oh, and the weather's perfect. We warmed up the bikes already and saw an alligator!

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh man....weather surely sucks! sigh......

    as for the photos. Next time, don't stand so square to her. Stand off to the side alittle...say to her left, then crop it with extra stairs to her left. She will then be looking towards the left INTO the photo. :) keep snapping. Practice at the beach...when you get there.

    hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That baby of yours is just too darn cute! I just want to eat her up! Hope it ends up as a great trip or at least gives you much to write about! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. OOoooh NO! I'm so sorry, Megan! Lots for you (and for Al, missing The Casserole and all) but mostly for Bean. I know how hard it must be for you to see her sad like that. My in-laws have disappointed Riley so many times that now I don't mention a word of their arrival until they actually show up.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sorry your trip is delayed. Bummer.

    Bean looks so cute. I love her red shoes

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so sorry to hear about your delay! I know you have been looking forward to some Palmetto sunshine for a while now. :( Hopefully you're reading this from your beachfront home, and not your snowcovered home...and hopefully you've already got sand in strange places! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my goodness Bean is just yummy! Love the crazy hair, huge smile & purty eyes. I'll bet she's good at workin' them to get her way too...my lil Adah-bug sure knows how to bat her lashes - too bad for her it don't work with me :)
    Have a great vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is the cutest, curliest picture ever! And when else are you going to be able to use the word "palpable"? :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. she looks SOOO cute with her little bear!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the cute pixs! I hope you had a nice visit back South.

    PS We got LOTS of snow in Georgia... well, what we called lots! It was wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh, hope you have no more delays! Midwestern winters sure can be a pain that way.

    ~Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  22. friedokra......i just have to tell ya.....MY BABY GIRL IS CALLED BEAN......her "real" name is Rebeka and she is 24 yrs old now, but she will ALWAYS BE MY BEANIE!! I enjoy your blog, i am a southern girl too. you are soooooo real, girlfriend!!! keep on tellin'it like it is!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Okay, Lil' Miss Bean is so very precious with her pink bear and red shoes! Every girl young or not-so-young should have a pair of red shoes.
    I'm practically on the Crystal Coast and I hope you're enjoying the weather that's been in the 70's recently. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  24. TAG...you're it!
    You'll love this one! Promise!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. When I was 8 we went on vacation and in the hotel the night before we were to go... my dad showed us brochures for Opryland USA! He said, "I thought we'd go by there tomorrow."

    It occured to me MANY years later that my parents knew we were going there before we ever left home.
    And, how trusting can you be to climb in the van with your family and travel from Texas to Nashville with absolutely no idea where you are going?

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh my goodness... she is so gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts?