Pages

Sunday, January 27, 2008

We're Going on a Bear Hunt!

I'm thinking it'd behoove me to find another one of these little guys:

Photobucket

Bean has developed QUITE an attachment to this bear, whom she has named Teddy. (I know, refreshingly orginal, isn't it?) He goes everywhere she goes, and I wouldn't have it any other way, I tell you, because the child is ETHEREALLY CUTE carting that bear around by one arm or leg, or my favorite, in a chokehold around his neck, plus, you see, I grew up with a major attachment to a plush baby seal named Nicholas (whom I still own, to this day, oh yes I do) so I can fully relate and empathize with Bean's attachment, to the point that I even foster it.

Lemme come clean with you here, people and tell you that Mama can't gaze on even the COVER of The Velveteen Rabbit without losing about 2 lbs. of water weight out her tear ducts and developing a lump in her throat that'd dwarf even an econo-size jar of Helman's®. Also, I (probably errantly, but it's no use trying to correct me because as I have mentioned to you before I suffer a tragically unteachable spirit) believe that forming such an attachment at a young age teaches a child's tiny little soul something about loyalty, and Mama is ALL about The Loyalty. To inanimate objects that don't ultimately find some way to get on my nerves, I mean. Oh, I'm KIDDING!

All this to say that Teddy will be traveling with us at the end of this week on planes, trains and automobiles down to the Carolina coast (sigh, is it just me or did angels just sing?) for a week-long visit with my family, and you know how traveling can be, particularly with a three-year old and all of her various accoutrements. What if Teddy finds himself (Oh, here comes that lump!) left behind in the stall of some airport water closet? Or wedged on an Airbus between seats 8E & F on his way to Shreveport? It could very possibly happen. And that, my friends, would constitute a family crisis from which certain members of the FriedOkra household may not recover atall quickly. Female members. Members whose happiness tend to barometrically impact the mood of the remaining (male) member, thus theoretically rendering us a clan of moping, dejected clowns for years to come.

And we can't have that. So my hope is to find us a Teddy II for the justincaseness of life.

I bought Teddy I the DAY of my 20-ish week sonogram with Bean, the one which revealed not only her room-lighting-up smile (no kidding!) but also the fact that she was a she. I drove immediately from the sonogram appointment to my local Marshall's and I bought every. single. pink item I could lay my pregnant hands on, and Teddy rode around that store with me in the seat of my shopping cart, his pricetag dangling from one ear, justa lookin' cute and bein' earnest and nodding his fuzzy-headed approval at all of my subsequent selections. I brought him home that night and he sat himself cheerfully on the bed in the guest bedroom until it was re-done into the nursery, and then presided over that precious room from his spot on a shelf over the changing table, leaning against a big bottle of Johnson's Baby Lotion, looking expectant and adorable, waiting for that Bean to arrive with just as much anticipation as I felt. (It appeared so, anyway.)

Yeah, you're right. I might be a little attached to this one, too.

So yes. Why am I telling you this?

Well, because I have scoured the internet and watched eBay and looked in all of my local stores, and there is no Teddy II to be found. He's a Baby Gund bear, and I think Gund changes their Baby line every year, because I've researched Gund through their own site and several on-line outlets to no avail. This particular bear, who is kindof a stringy plush fabric in large white and pink squares, with a pink nose and the numbers 43067 on his tag, appears to be out of production. BUT, when I first BOUGHT Teddy I, I saw them EVERYWHERE, which means there are plenty out there somewhere to this day. And I am wondering if y'all have seen one anywhere. On a bargain shelf at your local gift store? Goodwill? A garage sale?

If you happen to recognize this guy from somewhere, let me know. It just seems prudent to me to have a back-up Teddy, to save heartache and worry, is what I'm saying. And I'd be willing to pay a reasonable price for me some plush pink peace of mind.

I'm guessing you Mamas out there totally get where I'm comin' from, right?

38 comments:

  1. Oh, yes, indeed, you need a Bear II for the "justincaseness" of life. LOVE that word!

    I learned this with Boy 1 and Boy 2. As soon as they formed an attachment to a baby blanket, I cut said blankie in half and switched them out. Boy 1 is now 21 years old...and didn't realize that there were TWO blankies till he moved out of the house at 18!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh yes.....keep looking... :) we have THREE of the blankies Sugar loves.

    I hope you find it....I haven't seen one though. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. My sale is coming up at the end of February - I'll keep my eyes open and snag one if I see it!! Even if that is after your travels...

    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes - I get it! I looked all over for a bunny #2 for Heather and ended up finding one at a garage sale. Good luck with that.
    I'm sooo excited for you to be heading to S Carolina for a week. It's just what the Dr ordered for a certain pregnant lady ending her first trimester! Have fun and soak up that lovely southern ambiance!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This bear is adorable! Good luck finding another on. And if you are near Winston-Salem, NC ...give me a call!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Teddy is precious!

    Definitely keep looking and I will keep my eyes searching as I do my online browsing!

    Blessings,
    K

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok, so I looked some. I figured out that the bear is a part of the Sprinkle animal group that Gund has. I haven't found a pink and white bear, but did find a blue/green one.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Baby-Gund-43175-sprinkles-type-Teddy-Bear-Plush-Toy_W0QQitemZ270108199379QQihZ017QQcategoryZ2598QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem
    The person that is selling it can do more searches, so she may be able to help more. We have bought from her before, so I know she is great.
    Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll keep my "eyes peeled" as my mom always said. I can totally relate!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is my first time dropping in and I feel compelled to help you find this bear. I don't get out much with a 3 and almost 2 year old with another on the way in March, but I will keep my eyes open!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks like a relative of my son's Giraffe, Sprinkles (that was the name on the tag). If I see anything that remotely looks like that bear I will submit it for your approval.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can ad that I had a blankie (and still do) but Jonas has never formed an attachment to anything. :(
    I tried to force it but I guess the boy just can't be subdued.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We lost our "kitty" at a hotel at Disneyland. It was epic and tragic. Luckily, "kitty" was found again in the lost and found. But in my mind I was already trying to figure out how to get a replacement to the "kitty" my dad bought for me in Australia that my 3 year old had such an attachment to.

    Good luck in your search.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I tried to do the same thing with a Gund lamb that my oldest got attached to, and couldn't find it either! But her loyalty changed to a daddy doll that I bought her when her dad deployed, so that crisis was averted. I can easily get more daddy dolls :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh! I will hunt with you! You mut have a back up. My Little Miss has already declared she will NEVER, NEVER, NEVER accept anything but the pitiful excuse she calls blankie. So if we did have a backup, I am not so sure she would dig it. But then again, beggers can't be choosers!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great title!!! My kindergarten teacher soul is smiling.

    Joshua has a blanket with a bear head that he is quite attached to. We call it "Blankie Bear." I was a nervous wreck during our whole trip to MA last spring that it would get lost. He kept throwing it out of his stroller at the airport. What a dumpling!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, and by all means, if you are in the Winston-Salem area, call Beth. I'd probably faint dead away if the famed Fried Okra called me! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can totally relate. You MUST find a Bear #2. I will keep my eyes open and let you know if I locate one... My eldest has her lovey bear still (she is almost 14). My two little ones have never really gotten too attached to any one thing. It's weird.

    ReplyDelete
  18. http://www.parents.com/parents/story.jsp?page=4&storyid=/templatedata/ab/story/data/1178309048990.xml

    Link to an article about replacing lost loveys. Also... have you tried emailing or calling Gund directly? They may have some still or know of a retailer that has some left...

    ReplyDelete
  19. You DEFINITELY need a "back up"! The only thing I would suggest- from experience- is that you don't just pack the second one away for just in case. Use it & rotate them b/c if the first one gets really good & loved up & is then lost... the second one will look too new. The only other thing I learned about this- the hard way- is that you don't want your daughter to KNOW that there are two of them. Then they "need" BOTH of them & then you're reeeaally stuck if something happens! LOL! Good luck with your search! :D

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, yes, understand completely! I actually just "stole" a Roar II from my best friend, who just happened to have one laying around her house. She thought I was nuts; you prove that I am not! ;) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  21. good luck on the hunt! We had to replace "Baby Jane" that got lost in an airport. It was tragic...and that was ummmmm....14 years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Good luck finding Bear II!! I just hope you won't need it. Three year olds can be very good at keeping track of their friends while traveling. Princess did a very good job of making sure Baby Minnie didn't get left behind during our vacation. We let her know right up front that she was Baby Minnie's mommy and it was up to her to make sure we didn't lose her.

    That and insisting that Baby Minnie needed to take a nap in our backpack during the more rushed/crowded moments helped too.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Maybe you and Bean could make a lovely "My Mommy Is..." tag to somehow affix to Bear 1? That way, if (Heaven forbid!) it gets lost, at least the finder will be able to contact you.
    I like twithhoney's comment about telling Bean she's Teddy's mommy, and must keep her eyes on him.
    Good luck! And ENJOY your vacation!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I do know where you're coming from! Riley has a bear he has named "Dyder" and it goes EVERYWHERE with him. I was so paranoid about it until just two weeks ago when the Valentine's Day things reappeared on the shelves. Then I saw they made more "Dyders" and I bought one, I was so excited I was doing the happy dance! So I will definitely keep an eye out.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh, I hope you find more "Teddys"! He is so cute. Are you coming to Shreveport? Let us know if you find a Teddy II.

    Are you finding out the sex of Peanut?

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh yes, I know that feeling. Emily has a doll named Dolly (very original!) that was given to her by my mother-in-law when Emily was born. Dolly is the number 1 toy and as well as being a constant companion during the day, she MUST accompany Emily to bed every night. I do have small panic attacks thinking about what would happen if Dolly went missing - how would I get Emily to go to sleep. Of course, I can not find another 'Dolly' anywhere! I hope that your search is successful!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Of course I know that feeling! I can't imagine what would happen if Munch lost Chocolate or Bubba lost NA! I can almost hear the constant crying and screaming. Tell Bean to hang on tight to Teddy. I hope you are able to find your backup.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Okay, I haven't read all the comments so maybe someone has suggested this - but maybe you could devise some sort of attachment system wherein either you or Bean is physically attached to Bear at all times? Perhaps a sling might work? ;) (kidding. sort of)

    ReplyDelete
  29. My oldest daughter has a lamb that has split it seems more times than I care to remember. I feel I am constantly stitching this poor lamb up. But my 8 year old would completely loose all rationale if that lamb wasn't with her every night!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh, I hope you find one! Every time I see him hidden in the corner of the top of the closet I am thankful for our second "Roar!" Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Could you get Teddy a little necklace with a dog tag on it with mailing instructions?
    I still have my bear, named "Oliver" after a friend of my parents. The two Olivers are IDENTICAL.

    ReplyDelete
  32. i'll keep my eyes open! we had that problem with a beloved blankie my oldest son had when he was wee.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I will keep my eyes open. Josh's great grandma made him a bunny that he carried every where. I repaired it several times before I finally put it away for keepsake purpose.
    She made one for Caleb too, that Caleb never attached to. Josh found it one day and began carrying around "Caleb's Nana" as he called it.
    Precious memories

    ReplyDelete
  34. Ha you KNOW I get where you're coming from! We actively fostered Jaya's attachment to her monkey and as soon as we realised it was working we frantically ran out to get a spare. We have two monkeys and one big monkey and Jaya now knows about all of them and chooses them according to the occasion, so "big monkey" when we're out as he's easier to spot, "cratchy monkey" for playing with as he's hardy and has a pretty dress and "weally, weally, weally soft monkey" for cuddles when she's upset. We tried to foster an attachment with Jove and a toy lon but he ecided to attach to me instead ;)

    Hmmm I seem to have written an essay thee, I must copy and paste this into my own diary!

    In the meantime I'll keep an eye out for you, in case one of those bears mysteriously finds it's way to England!

    I've missed you too! All my passwords were on my laptop which was being fixed. Got it back safe now though :)
    I've even been able to update my other diary if you wanna take a look....

    ReplyDelete
  35. I will be on the look out becuz I have been there and done that more than once...

    ReplyDelete
  36. I just lost about 2 lbs of water weight from my tear duct as soon as I saw that pink Teddy. I hope you find another one, I think that is a very smart cause!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hi there! I found your blog in the Blogger's Choice Awards. I am also listed, under Best Charity Blog. I am stylizing blogs for $20 to raise money for a mission trip I am going on, as well as a Charity of the Month (which changes monthly). Please check out my blog!
    www.madebynikki.blogspot.com

    Thanks!
    Nikki

    ReplyDelete
  38. We did lose a lovie, so I understand.

    But if Teddy should get left behind somewhere, I have no doubt that Meg Ryan would wander up and pick him up and hug him until you could get back to get him.

    Just like Sleepless in Seattle.

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts?