Pages

Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Left Behind

Besides my sweet husband, there's another boy who captured my heart the first time I met him and has held it in his hand ever since. That boy is my adorable, charming, brilliant, perfect-in-his-aunt's-eyes nephew, Daniel, who's supposed to be on his way to visit us here on the prairie right at this very minute, but who instead has been stricken with a stoooopid virus and has made the mature and thoughtful but very uncool-to-him-or-me decision to sit this trip out with his little brothers and Dad while my sister and two wonderful, beautiful, smart and talented nieces fly up to Chicago. They should be here for dinner tonight, which is a huge pot of Nana's spaghetti sauce (I mean, sauce I cooked by Nana's recipe), pasta, salad and garlic toast.

(See how I wrote that without gagging even once? Will power, people. Will power and a LOT of nervous swallowing.)

Mama is a proud Mama indeed, but Mama cut her proudness teeth on her nieces and nephews.

My eldest niece and nephew, at nearly 12 and 10 respectively, have recently started their own blogs. I know! I cannot TELL y'all how thrilled I was to read their first posts and get to comment on them. Two more happy bloggers in the family, and a special way (hopefully they'll blog more regularly than I have recently!) to keep up with what's goin' on in those two brilliant minds. Oh, it does make an Aunt well up with happy tears. My lil babies, all grown up and bloggin'!

Sigh!

Daniel blogged the following sad paragraph today. Y'all get your tissues because this one will jerk up those heartstrings and tie them in a knot, for sure.

Unfortunately yesterday our flight to San Antonio was completely sold, so we couldn't go. But then today, I woke up with the same cold Dad, Little O, and and my baby brother had. My mom planned on going to Chicago, the second place we were supposed to go to see my Aunt, Uncle, and my cousin. I couldn't go, so I'm stuck here with Dad, Little O, and my baby brother. Mom said that she would take the camera with her so I could see what they did there. Fortunately for me, I am going to see my Aunt, Uncle, and my cousin in February when we rent a Suburban and go down to the beach.

You rest up and get well, Baby Daniel (who's not a baby anymore, sniffle). When we get to the beach, I'm going to hug you until you almost can't breathe anymore! Oh yes sir, I am!

19 comments:

  1. I, too, have a very special little boy in my life named Daniel. Glad you're having company and sorry you're missing your Daniel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that's too bad! He sounds like a sweet guy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a very mature young man to me... I'm sure the trip in Feb will be loaded with fun. I have a Daniel in my family to my baby brother. He's a special guy too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor guy. I am so sorry he missed the trip up--for both of you. Have a good time with your sister and nieces over the next few days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness, I can't believe that the kids are getting to be that big!! So glad that Jackie and the girls are visiting! Please give her a hug from your old Bratty friend :0

    ReplyDelete
  6. I should have signed my name. I am the old Bratty friend, now BerryBusyMom.

    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww - what a sweet kid. I hope he feels better fast. I've been wondering about you too - are you still feeling crummy? That little peanut is sure making himself/herself known!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So, that means that you have an empty seat at the table, right? I'll be there in a flash for some of Nana's sauce, etc.!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rats! Foiled again. I hope you do have a great visit with your sister and her girls, though. I'd be upset if I were Daniel too. No one wants to miss out on a visit with Megan! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is special little boy! Poor thing. Hope he feels better soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, goody! The beach in February! Hopefully you will feel fit and snazzy enough to run and romp and play and be that crazy favorite aunt that makes everyone snort with laughter. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aw shame! That hug'll be even bigger for him by the time he gets there.
    Hope he gets well soon!

    P.S. nice to see you back :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you, Aunt Megan, and I can't WAAAAAAAAAAAIT to see you in February!

    Love, Daniel

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've been missing you Megan. You have such a sweet nephew there. :) so sorry he couldn't come see you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The part about his mama promising to take lots of pics got me sniffling! What a strong little man! Have a great visit with your sister! I never thought I'd be a mom until I fell head over heels in love with my niece and nephew! Who wouldn't want a piece of that!?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Glad you're back! Have fun with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Aw, so sweet. I found my nieces myspace page where she listed me as one of her heros! Love those kids!!

    Glad you weren't making sauce out of Nana lol!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Poor guy!! That's pitiful. Thank goodness you have a beach trip planned for February because it would have been even harder for you to be without him during this visit. Have a great time with your sister and her children!! I'm glad you're back- I hope that means you feel better. I loved your post where you referenced some funny things that had happened to you in the last few months. I read every one of them one night, and just couldn't stop myself. I kept reading, chuckling, reading, laughing out loud, reading late into the night, sleeping late the next morning... You are one funny chic!! I was trying to figure out who you reminded me of (besides a friend of mine's sister). I finally figured it out because I saw one of her movies the other night...Claire Daines. Has anyone ever told you that??

    ReplyDelete
  19. Man, I shore could use me a heapin'helpin' of some good ole Fried Okra right now. Where are you OkraMama? Your blog is like a fix! I check several times a day at work and again at home at nite! Please just let us know that you haven't moved in permanently with the porcelain god!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts?