Pages

Monday, January 21, 2008

Just a Little Light, Oh Lord!

Hatred paralyzes life; love releases it. Hatred confuses life; love harmonizes it. Hatred darkens life; love illuminates it. -- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Shed a Little Light
by James Taylor

Let us turn our thoughts today
To Martin Luther King
And recognize that there are ties between us
All men and women
Living on the Earth
Ties of hope and love
Sister and brotherhood

That we are bound together
In our desire to see the world become
A place in which our children
Can grow free and strong
We are bound together
By the task that stands before us
And the road that lies ahead
We are bound and we are bound

There is a feeling like the clenching of a fist
There is a hunger in the center of the chest
There is a passage through the darkness and the mist
And though the body sleeps the heart will never rest

Shed a little light, oh Lord
So that we can see
Just a little light, oh Lord
Wanna stand it on up
Stand it on up, oh Lord
Wanna walk it on down
Shed a little light, oh Lord

Can't get no light from the dollar bill
Don't give me no light from a TV screen
When I open my eyes
I wanna drink my fill
From the well on the hill

(Do you know what I mean?)
Shed a little light, oh Lord
So that we can see
Just a little light, oh Lord
Wanna stand it on up
Stand it on up, oh Lord
Wanna walk it on down
Shed a little light, oh Lord

There is a feeling like the clenching of a fist
There is a hunger in the center of the chest
There is a passage through the darkness and the mist
And though the body sleeps the heart will never rest

Oh, Let us turn our thoughts today
To Martin Luther King
And recognize that there are ties between us
All men and women
Living on the Earth
Ties of hope and love
Sister and brotherhood.


Ah, I love that song.

Y'all have a great day!

15 comments:

  1. Yes, great tribute to a great American!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful song, and I had forgotten about it. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! Thanks for sharing this today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shedding a little light today after the passing of "our" sweet angel Julian Avery...see my blog for story.

    Love your new hair!

    ReplyDelete
  5. also - you can light a candle for him by clicking on the link....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Megan - this is how Martin Luther King, Jr Day should be observed, not with an extra % off the price tag at some store. He was a great example of a man whose life illuminated the darkness.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a great tribute. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think I ever heard that song. Great tribute! Anna is right in saying this is how the day should be celebrated.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with Sincerely Anna. It's better to remember his works with respect rather than reduce them to a reason to have a white sale.
    You go, Sweetie!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great thoughts for this day. My husband and I were really intentional about MLK day with our kids this year. It was way cool how some of it seemed to sink in!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I Love that song, too!

    Thanks for the fabulous Dr. King quote.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How ya feelin' over there? By the posting patterns, I'd say not so great...
    hang in.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  13. Since my kids aren't in school yet I had forgotten about the holiday and went to check the mail. When I told my son why there wasn't any he said "Who's MLK?" I said, "A wonderful and wise man." Then I got chills.

    P.S. Your new hair style looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh sweet baby james... he rocks!

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts?