Pages

Wednesday, January 2, 2008

It's Not So Much That I Bit Off More Than I Could Chew, It's Just That I Didn't Know I'd Be Pregnant When the Time Came for All the Chewing

Happy 2008, y'all.

I guess I've taken a bit of a bloggy break, without granting you the common courtesy of any kind of warning or notification. Not that I imagine it's had a gigantic impact on your lives or anything, just that many other more courteous bloggin' sisters took bloggy breaks only AFTER providing fair warning.

See, the thing is, I thought I could do it all. I always do!

I had a list of to-dos down to my ankles for this holiday season and I was determined I could get them all done to my own impossible-to-attain satisfaction, and all with a great deal of holiday joy and festivity in my heart. Thing is, I knew I'd be forty, because that's a non-negotiable, I just didn't know I'd be forty and pregnant.

For the past couple of weeks, in juggling my huge list, my family, and the seriously shockingly unfun side-effects of my nemesis (apparently), HcG, I haven't felt much like FriedOkra, to be honest. I've felt like ... um ... Fried, er ... Brussel sprouts? Fried Lima Beans? Fried Porcupine Fritters? Something not nearly as crispy, tasty and fantastically unique as fried okra, anyway. And not fried as in breaded in a delicious Southern batter and cooked to golden perfection in a vat of hot, sizzlin' fat, and then sprinkled with salt and pepper, either. Fried as in stuck-my-finger-in-a-light-socket-while-my-hair-was-wet-and-I-was-wearing-aluminum-foil-slippers fried. ZAP, SIZZLE, STINK.

I so want to no, I NEED TO delight you with funny stories and witty insights (and wouldn't that be nice to find here for a change, ha ha ha?) but I'm afraid I'm fresh out of the ability to see the humor or bright side in things at the moment. I am certain that'll pass. (It will, won't it? Please tell me it will.) And I'll be back to my old self in no time. Maybe in a few weeks, maybe in a few months, but certainly soon.

I miss y'all. Heap big.

If you're a somewhat new reader who hasn't pillaged the archives for some historical FriedOkra fun, check out a few of my favorite posts from 2007.

Skin - A funny thing happened at church that made me stop and look at what it really is to be an interracial family.

The Real Reason She Never Landed Jethro - Just another of the skillion quick, hilarious things Al has said to make me snort something out my nose.

But This Does NOT Mean I Won't Someday Host My Own Talkshow - A wise Southern woman knows that BIGGER doesn't always mean BETTER.

Public Pool Enemies #1 and um... #2 - Probably nothing much funnier or grosser than this will ever happen in my lifetime again. I certainly hope not.

Another Tale of H2Woe - Whoops, I may have spoken too soon.

My Congenital Inelegance - You see, I haven't always been the picture of Southern grace and elegance! (Snort.)

Talk to y'all again soon!

42 comments:

  1. Hey, Megan,
    I promise you WILL feel normal again, one day. And it will feel heavenly. Second trimester usually brings a second wind - so take advantage! The third comes in with a vengeance that second time around. Those muscles aren't what they used to be. Those first babies do a number on 'em. :)

    I have found that with each pregnancy, my definition of "normal" changes slightly, filling up the spaces that you didn't know were empty, and smoothing out the edges that you didn't know were rough. This is part of how we become the people we were meant to be.

    Hang in there, sweetie! And take your time. It will all be here waiting.

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you're back to your normal fried self soon! Blessings on you and the baby!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We do miss you, but we understand. I'll be praying for you to feel okra'ish again and will be here, patiently waiting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi friend! Good on you for knowing your limits and choosing (struggling?) to accept them.

    Skin and Public Pool Enemies are two of my all-time faves. *heart heart heart*

    By the by, you win!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you begin feeling back to your self again! Happy New Year to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 'I'm pregnant' is a wonderful excuse - use it while you can. Of course that is always followed by another great excuse 'I have a newborn.'

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I sincerely hope you're feeling better soon. ((hug))

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not pregnant, so I guess that means I have no excuse for my unplanned-going-on-now-almost-two-week-bloggy-break? :)

    It WILL get better, I promise ya! Hugs and good wishes being sent your way right this very moment!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welcome back to bloggyland! I missed you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That early part of pregnancy is so HARD! I didn't have the energy to do anything at all...
    I loved being able to read some of your earlier posts! You're a wonderful, funny, warm writer - I can't wait until you're feeling more like yourself again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm a fairly new reader and just want you to know that I really enjoy your blog!

    I agree with t with honey - "I'm pregnant" is a great excuse! Use it while you can!

    ReplyDelete
  12. hang in there, i am counting on you to mentor me should i so choose to follow in your path!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have been missing my OKRA! I'm lookin forward to a heapin' helpin' as soon as you're feeling up to it. But... my late nights and adjusting have left me feeling the same way!

    Happy '08, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Take your break sista!
    Have a happy - RELAXING - New year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. No worries, I know what you mean--I've been laying low myself and I don't even have a pregnancy as an excuse.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love having the chance to go dig around through your archives.

    Happy New Year and Blessings,
    K

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have sooooooooo missed you...but totally get why you are away. I look forward to when you are feeling better, as I am sure you do as well.
    Take good care of you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those were hysterical. I hope you're feeling better soon

    ReplyDelete
  19. Have missed you, yet I mean it from the very bottom of my heart when I say - go lay down and let someone wait on you hand and foot! :) Think not again of your bloggy break; we'll be glad to have you back when you are back to your good 'ole fried self!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've missed you--blogging and in person. I am sure you will be feeling back to your normal chipper self in no time. Hang in there! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm hoping you're feeling better soon! Having just had a baby myself (at 41!) I can so feel your pain. It will get better, it will!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Missed you -- glad you're back --- will be here patiently waiting for some Fried Okra wit --- hoping you're feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have been thinking about you a lot lately! Hope the energy returns soon! I remember not having any extra energy for the holidays when I was pregnant with Kev. It does pass and then you feel like you have aton of energy. If you are still feeling sick all the time you should ask your doctor about taking an anti-nausea medication that is safe for pregnant woman. My friend was sick as a dog and after she had the medication she felt a ton better. Can't hurt the baby and makes you feel sooooo much better!!! Sleep while you can!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. The only thing worse than a 7-inch okra is a SICK OkraMama! I thought I would bust a gut reading your Wednesday Jan 2, 2008 blog.(All the faves for 2007)I'm a Southern Illinois resident who LOVES to read your blog everyday. Hope you're feeling much better soon. Thanks for the laughs!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks for the reminder of those great posts...all of your posts are great, of course!

    Bloggy break as long as you need. We'll be here when you come back!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Another Tale of H2Woe made a FriedOkra believer out of me! Thanks for the trip down memory lane, and if I didn't say it before, better you than me! Take all the breaks you need, advertised or not...you're blogging for two now!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm fairly new so I enjoyed reading some 'old stuff'. Milk it for all your worth!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Seriously, use the excuse as long as you can. But of course, keep posting!

    ReplyDelete
  29. You are a new read for me; currently checking out your archives. Looking forward to more.

    ReplyDelete
  30. we all need a break now & then, being pregnant & all is a good excuse, but glad to have you back writing, you are a regular read for me.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I'm new to bloging and just started one for myself. Love the name of yours.
    www.akiscb.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. I'm commenting on your talshow post about okra. Okay, help me out here...having lived in Florida all of my lived-long-years, I do not get Okra. I also don't eat fish or seafood - Floridian delicacy, but I acknowledge that is an oddity on my part. But Okra? What is the attraction of fuzzy bland veggies that get slimy when stewed? Really, help me out here.

    PS Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  33. My answer to Troyboy's question? Honey, I don't EAT it stewed very often. I eat it FRIED. And occasionally pickled. Perhaps it is an acquired taste, hmmm?

    ReplyDelete
  34. Well, I reckon I could try it again

    ReplyDelete
  35. Congrats on the new little one! Hoping you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hope you're feeling okay. You're in my thoughts and prayers today. Come back soon!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Whenever you're up for writing about writing, that would be terrific.
    In the meantime, get to feeling better soon!! We miss your Southern Belle twang!

    ReplyDelete
  38. I love the "skin" post. I don't even have to read it...I actually remember it. You describe that whole scene with the teenage girl so perfectly I can just picture it in my mind. I was laughing like crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  39. I'm so glad to know that "I'm Pregnant" works with someone! Hubbers won't believe me on how hard it is!!

    Congrats on the little one. Feel better and then join me in the 2nd trimester. I'm still waiting for the anti-nausea to kick in, but the tired is fading a little...

    ReplyDelete
  40. Honey, you've given enough laughs to the rest of us to deserve a little break. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  41. I like your post titled "Skin." Don't people just "kill" you sometimes? They do me. What they will say, ask and do... and at church even! LOL! Check out my post about a what happened with an acquaintence at my church... http://alguires.blogspot.com/2008/01/its-halo-its-feathers-no-its-super-fuzz.html

    I like your blog - thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts?