Pages

Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Hit Me with the Old One-Two, It Has

If I had to describe the early stages of this pregnancy in two words, I'd go with

1) Sucker and 2) Punch.

From the get-go, it's just been one surprise after another, y'all.

The night I wrote about leftover turkey sandwiches and Cyn commented that she'd once put pickles on her leftover turkey sandwiches then discovered herself to be pregnant a few days later, I took the third of three consecutive every-couple-days pregnancy tests and found I'd "passed" this one. Cyn, you get "soothsayer" points for that one, honey!

Shortly after the confirmation of the Peanut's pending-ness, I lost the turkey sandwiches, complete with multiple pepperoncini, the hightly-touted pumpkin crunch, and, accordingly, all desire to live, as the Great Stomach Virus of '07 struck with a vengeance. The only thing more shocking than finding out you're pregnant when you're least expecting it is finding out you're pregnant and then commencing to barf out all your vital organs into a pink bucket two short hours later.

And getting up the next morning to have your kitchen painted Violent Red.

Four coats worth.

Over the course of the next 48 hours.

While you simultaneously vomit, moan in agony, and start the process of adjusting your solid "We're done having children" thinking to "...but God, apparently, isn't."

And that crisis passed, followed by a three-week hiatus from sleep, during which I scrutinized closely the ceiling of every bedroom in the house for hours on end while thrashing around restlessly, praying to God, the Sandman and anyone else who would listen to PLEASE, PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE shut my brain down and grant me a few solid hours of blissful, peace-filled unconsciousness. But that's not how it works around here. Oh no. This brain does not sleep until and unless it's picked over a situation from every angle, every dimension, flow-charted every possible ramification both positive and negative and come up with an illustrated, annotated, 6 part plan for dealing with the situation that keeps the owner of the brain in complete and perfect control for the entire life-span of the situation and its consequential fall-out.

You can imagine that an unexpected brand-new HUMAN BEING showing up on the proverbial doorstep requires a ploob or two more late-night brain activity than your average situation.

Hence, no sleep. For three weeks.

The sleeplessness? It do pack a wallop. Shore do.

And then came the past week.

KABOOM-YEOW!

Allow me to expound.

I wrote in my pregnancy blog on December 11 (LAST Tuesday):

I'm still not feeling much of anything. I worked out (on the treadmill - my regular three mile walk) yesterday for the first time since that horrible virus hit and that went really well. I didn't feel tired or lightheaded at all, and there were times I felt like running but didn't because Bean was close by and she kinda scares me around that treadmill. I don't want it to be going really fast if she somehow knocked something into it or tossed something at it, lest one or both of us be sucked under and ground into a fine paste.


A week later, (THIS Tuesday), I wrote:

Maybe I'll be back later today, or maybe I will instead be lying prone on my kitchen floor with a 32 oz. block of Velveeta in one hand and barf bucket in the other. We shall just have to wait and see.

What a difference a week makes.


The energy level, it has plummeted.

And! BONUS! I also have morning all-day just-please-shoot-me-now-but-make-sure-the-bullet-doesn't-look-or-smell-like-food sickness.

Didn't have morning sickness when I was pregnant with Bean. And in retrospect, I have been smug about that fact, even thought all these years I've thought I was just being grateful. Yes, now in retrospect, I look back at that smug little priss-pot, un-sick, blissfully pregnant Megan and I wish I could smack her smiling little face right off her neck.

Because now Mama is getting her come-uppance in a big, bad, bile-in-the-back-of-her-throat way.

And just in time, all the energylessness and quease, for my two Big Parties that of course, centered around food. For the past week, concurrent with my trip to the depths of morning-sickness hell, (I hope these are the depths, anyway, please God let these be the depths, okay?) I've been up to my armpits in six dozen pecan sandies (choke), a slow-cooker full of queso dip (retch), forty something little blobs of pesto (gag), and oh, best of all, 3 lbs of raw Italian sausage (projectile vomit).

Welcome to The Unblissful Pregnancy, Mama.

Put up yer dukes!

Please know that while I really DO feel lousy right now, I recognize it's a temporary thing only AND I am, we ALL are, absolutely thrilled The Peanut's on his/her way into our lives and into our family. Despite these early unpleasantries, I fully recognize what an amazing blessing another child will be, and that above all of the green-ness and the exhaustion, I'm also feeling delightedly giddy, mushy and overwhelmed with love for this little one, without whom, from the instant I knew about him/her, I've known our family could never be complete.

32 comments:

  1. It is such a roller coaster, of emotion, of energy, of nausea, of disbelief.

    We had an "unexpected blessing" of our own, and our family wouldn't be complete without ours, either.

    Congrats again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy about the new baby, but I hate that you are feeling "Yuck"! I'll be praying for you to get over this part of pregancy, and fast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm soooo sorry you have the yucks, Hopefully it will pass soon & the next phase will be more pleasant for you... Congrats all the same those lil' ones are very special.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats! Congrats! Congrats!
    Hope the puking-party ends soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugh!!! Our little one that is making his deubt very soon was quite the surprise as well! I was much sicker with this pregnancy than with my first (so, naturally I was 100% convinced that I was having a girl, not another boy!) But alas, I was wrong!

    This too shall pass!! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's funny how we're made to feel as though we are being ungrateful if we complain about the 'horrors' of pregnancy. So after we complain we feel compelled to explain that while we are complaining we are still very much happy to be having babies. You know what I mean? A Mama should be able to just let it all out! ;) I hope your every-waking-moment sickness subsides soon and you get some decent sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you get some good sleep soon, and the all-the-time-sickness passes soon. It is not a fun time at all.
    Congrats again!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The only thing more precious than puking while pregnant is when said puking causes you to pee your pants. Hopefully you will get to skip that. It took 3 babies for me to make those special memories.

    Thanks for taking that bite, Eve.

    Hope you feel better soon :)

    PS - Benadryl is safe for Peanut and helps the momsomnia and the nausea. It's Mother's Little Helper.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can remember wanting to crawl in a hole and DIE when I was carrying Ava. Of course I wanted to be brought back to life for her birth and all......

    My hope and prayer is that you don't have to deal with it bad for long at all, or that you will have LONG periods of rest and relief from it.

    Sometimes with Ava (when she is screaming and hitting and acting like a wild animal - when she doesn't get her way, which is like ALL DAY) I want to crawl in a hole and DIE till she grows out of this stage.

    SO. This peanut might give you a bit of grief now, but MAYBE he will be an angel when he comes out.

    xoxo Julie

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope your first trimester flies by and you are feeling much better soon.

    How many weeks are you?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've always been a bit nervous about having another baby. Pregnancy was a piece of cake and Princess was a fairly angelic baby. So a little piece of me worries that I used up all the good karma on the first child and the next one, well... I don't want to be throwing up all the time like you are right now and I'm sure that Princess's little sibling would take forever coming out and never sleep for more than 2 hours at a stretch.

    But it sure is funny to read about someone else going through it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, I have been there so I understand. It is awful, I really hope you can get some extra rest. Maybe you could crawl under the covers and come out in about 8 months? That really did work for me with baby #1.
    Not so much with 2,3, and 4!

    ReplyDelete
  13. awwwwwwwww


    awwwwwwww


    and

    double awwwwwwww

    that last little comment choked me up.

    off to work on your header

    blessings,
    K

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for blogging about your real feelings. I'm 17 weeks and still feel ick-ick-icky, but don't want to put that on my blog because of the fear that everyone will come back at me about "blessings" and "miracles" and junk. I know all that! I just don't want to be sick anymore! :o)
    I appreciate your honesty and love your writing style! :o) Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hopefully the first trimester ick will pass quickly. The second trimester will be much lovelier.

    I am going to head over to your other blog now...it looks like I've got some catching up to do!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh girl. UUUUUUUUUGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH. I had miserable pregnancies although I didn't puke but once. You have my deepest sympathies. And what an awful time of year to feel this way. Ugh, ugh, UGH. here's hoping it passes quickly, although I remember thinking three months seemed like a lifetime.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Been there, mama. Been there. Complete with the smugness of a first pregnancy that was easy as a breeze with like one day of feeling "a little queasy." I really wanted to crawl off and die during AJ's first trimester.

    Don't have to put a brave face on it for us, sister. Just let it out. Said it before and I'll say it again - be gentle to yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I was wondering what you were gonna call your Bean in the Oven! Love Peanut! Try Premesis prenatal vitamins--it's an extended release B complex that wards off the nausea. My 2 sisters and I took it (and one sis is adopted so my unscientific conclusion is that it works on people who don't share my DNA!) I never experienced morning sickness (smug!) and my sisters' cleared up right quick.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Morning sickness is just HOOOORRRRIBLLLLE. I had it with increasing ferocity with each pregnancy and boy howdy, I didn't enjoy it. Or food. Or moving suddenly.
    But I always took it as a good sign, that my babies had such deep roots. It's one small comfort while you're constantly green for weeks and weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Feel free to tell it like it is . . . I won't judge. I was so sick with my 2nd child I was convinced I had the flu --- nope, just pregnant.

    Sending you happy, non-puking thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ugh, you poor thing. I really hope that this pukey stage passes quickly and you start feeling better. And that you get some decent sleep!

    Plus this leaves me feeling slightly worried. I am a week or behind you, and just like you the last pregnancy I was fine. And just like you, I was exercising and feeling fine. I really hope that I don't also get the smugness knocked out of me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. no need for the disclaimer. You are such a wonderful person and mama.
    hugs! Hope this is the worst it gets for you this time around.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am so sorry this pregnancy hasn't started out real great for you. You know if you need some alone time to lay around and be miserable all you have to do is call and I will take Bean for awhile. Hopefully this will pass soon.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Im excited for the new baby but totaly feel bad for you over the sickies.

    When I was pregnant with Caleb I puked every day exactly at 3pm. You could set you watch by it.

    With Gracie I was extremely naus. 24/7. The Dr ended up prescribing me phenergan. It really helped with getting me through the first trimester.

    It is definitely worth asking your Dr about.

    Hope things get better soon

    ReplyDelete
  25. I was about 6 weeks pregnant LAST Christmas, enjoying all the feelings you are describing!
    I remember laying on the floor next to the tree to watch Jojo open presents.
    Next year you will have your little Santa Baby! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I wish I could think of something comforting to say, but I can't. Gay would put some salt in her palm and drink some Coke. I kept saltine crackers on the top of the toilet tank. I know in my brain that I was pretty miserable, but now I think that I must really have been mistaken. In other words, when you see that precious baby, this will all seem like a bad dream. I will pray for some comfort for you! Merry Christmas and much love from Aunt Joy

    ReplyDelete
  27. My sister had me read your blog. Too funny and ironic. Two weeks ago, I found out I was pregnant, told my husband that night, then stomach virus '07 hit...all in the same day! I lost 12 lbs and thought, "huh, to have lost 12 lbs, I thought my stomach would be flatter than this, pregnancy and all." Come to find out your tummy gets even bigger and faster WHEN YOU ARE HAVING TWINS. I am dreading morning sickness so much more now that there are 2.
    I wish you the best, and I look forward to your pregnancy posts since you and I are due about the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Megan, I haven't visited in a little while and wanted to say congratulations! I'm so happy for you and your family that you're having a baby! I know this is a tough time right now, believe me, it's not been long enough for me that I don't remember it well, but it will pass soon and you'll be able to enjoy being pregnant and be excited for your new family member. What a wonderful Christmas gift! Best wishes to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Congratulations! I'm thrilled for you and your family! Thanks for sharing the good news. And thanks for sharing about how horrible you're feeling now - hope you're better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  30. So sad to write an update to my own previous comment, but I miscarried twins during the holidays. I wish you the best during your pregnancy, and will check-in to see how it progresses!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh, I am so sorry to hear that sad news.

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts?