Pages

Monday, December 10, 2007

But I Haven't Showered Since Thursday and My Family is Living on Leftover Necco® Wafers and Store Brand Spice Drops

In the past two days, I scratched three MAJOR to-do items off my Operation Holiday schedule and still managed to take two decent afternoon naps.

Which is, bottom line, how we define a successful weekend at FriedOkra Manor.

We prefer a high nap quotient around here.

And I'm ready to show y'all what I've been up to with my 3 lbs. of mother-of-pearl buttons, too! Are you ready?

I made those darned buttons into Christmas tree ornaments, people. Yes, lawzy, I did!

I've now finished 14 Button Wreath Ornaments for my Bunco ladies, who'll get them this Wednesday at our December Bunco night. We're also doing an Ornament Exchange that evening, so I made an extra little wreath for that, as well. I'll be making 10 to 12 more to give as Christmas gifts to other friends and neighbors, our favorite servers at the diner around the corner, and Bean's KidRock teacher.

This idea came from none other than the Maven of All Things Homemakery, Martha Stewart. Well, or her "people." Because let's be honest: We all know Martha probably didn't string a single button herself. What's really fun is surveying all of my little works of button art and thinking that when you get right down to it, I probably have way more experience at making these ornaments than Martha Stewart herself.

Oh yes, Honey. Compared to Martha, I'm a Button Wreath Making Expert!

(Blink.)

Here's the link for instructions in case, you know, you happen have 3 lbs. of buttons lying around and a whole lot of extra time on your hands and the need for a slew of handmade Christmas tree ornaments. (Though I do also think these would also be mighty cute year round in a pretty guest bedroom, decorating lamps or drawer pulls or what have you.)

(Said the Expert.)

My wreaths are a bit more random than Martha's, thanks to the uniqueness of each mother-of-pearl button, in combination with my spontaneous and impetuous nature. Ahem. I actually love that about them, and how natural and almost beachy they look as a result. I made a few ornaments with just the mother-of-pearl buttons, and then thanks to my mother's donation of her leftover button collection from all those years of sewing clothes for herself and her two girls, I was able to add various colorful elements and patterns to several others.

These ornaments are SO easy to make, as Martha's instructions would indicate. I'd say each one took a maximum of 15 minutes start to finish, and of course the process got faster and faster as I cranked out more of them and was able develop my own little system.

And I must stress to you, in case you have fallen under some sortof strange delusion to the contrary, that I am SOOOOOO NOT a crafty woman. This was a perfect project for someone like me - who's the epitome of "all thumbs-iness" and completely devoid of anything remotely resembling patience. A kid just a little bit older than Bean could make these wreaths and need virtually no help at all except maybe to bend and cut the wire. So simple!

Okay, let's take us a gander now, shall we?

This is the first ornament I made. It's made from all mother of pearl buttons of varying sizes. I used 20 guage crafting wire, 1/8" satin ribbon for the hanging loop and a sheer, slightly shiny 1/2" ribbon for the bows on all of the ornaments, so there would be some consistency among them even though they're all unique.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

For this next one, I added a turquoise button after each 10th or 12th mother-of-pearl button to create a repetitive pattern and infuse a little color and interest.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Here I alternated between mother-of-pearl and a variety of brown buttons in a 1:1 ratio.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

And for this last one, I created a more traditionally "Christmassy" ornament by adding a touch of red. If you look carefully, you'll see I placed an extra large red button down at the bottom, just to give this one a little extra character.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

So now all I have left is to wrap all the presents for the immediate family, clean the house, make the food for the Progressive Christmas Party on Saturday, take pictures of the house and post them for BooMama's Holiday Tour of Homes (That's less than a week from now, you know. Got your halls decked yet?), bake 8 dozen or so Pecan Sandies and make the snacks and set up the display table for the Christmas Cookie exchange I'm hosting for the neighbhorhood ladies next Tuesday night, make 10 more wreath ornaments and, oh yes, there's that other little baking project I've been working on for a few weeks. That one might get revealed Wednesday at Karla's Holiday Par-Tay. On second thought, Nah. Too soon.

29 comments:

  1. Adorable...the wreaths and you! You are the epitome of craftiness.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are so cute. I think the fact that you made those yourself will make everyone feel really special. I'm curious to find out how the baking goes. I went to a cookie exchange this weekend and picked up some amazing recipes. Hopefully you will pick up some at your cookie exchange to share with the internet. *hint* *hint*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes! I can scratch off "figure out what Megan is using all those buttons for" off my things to do list.
    I love the wreaths,esp the one with red buttons!
    Smiles!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those ornaments are adorable. I think your Bunco ladies will love them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are so cute and I, for one am just relieved to know what you were doing with all the buttons. I was actually going to harass you about it again today, when I opened your blog to find out that you had finally confessed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I love, love the first one! Really love! I think it's just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ooooo Megan....those are just too cute! :) love it....and hey...don't worry I haven't showered since Thursday either....being stinky is part of my evil plot. tee hee

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are gorgeous little things! We never have that many buttons around - just the occasional odd button that's popped off a shirt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh how I love those!!

    Please tell me where you found 3#s of buttons.

    Please!

    Blessings,
    K

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very cute and crafty. I love how you mixed in the colored buttons to make each one unique. Your friends are going to love them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think the turquoise button wreath is my favorite. It has just the right splash of color!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Now, don't get mad, but I believe Karla's par-tay is on Wednesday, right? Not Tuesday? It is so easy to get confused, what with all the baking you've been up to. Can't wait to hear that recipe! ;)

    Now, those ornaments are just about darn near the cutest thing I have seen all day. I never in ten million years would have guessed that was what the buttons were for. You bought those so long ago! Way to plan ahead, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  13. very cute. looks like a project for me for next year! will have to get help from the youngsters!

    ReplyDelete
  14. These wreaths are adorable!

    I am getting stressed out just reading about all you have to do! You better plan in a couple of extra naps!

    ReplyDelete
  15. O my gosh, I LOVE those! How KEEE-UUUTE!

    ReplyDelete
  16. First - the ornaments are super cute. Second - Oh really? That's all you have left to do? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's ALL you have left to do? For THIS Christmas? Hope you keep on schedule and work in a few more naps! Those ornaments are very cool. Honestly I hear "Martha" and run for the hills--the most "simple" crafts confuse the heck out of me. This one seems doable though!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The wreaths are so cute and you are a busy busy little bee! Are you getting a chance to take a breath??

    ReplyDelete
  19. cuuuute!! i'd be all over making some of those, if, again, i had 3 lbs of buttons lying around. lol. maybe next year. :)

    (oh, i should add that i can't see your pictures from my work firewall, but i bet they're divine. i'll hafta check them out when i get home!)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, I just love the button ornaments!

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the ornaments! I think the red one is my favourite. And it is really nice to know what all those buttons were for!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Whew! I just haven't slept a wink wondering what you were doing with all those buttons! Just kidding. Your little button wreaths are adorable, and I'm sure the recipients will love and appreciate them.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love them. I especially love the red one.

    Okay ... so now you just added something else I want to do before Christmas arrives. Like I didn't have enough.

    Thanks a lot.

    :)

    *An Iowa Mom*
    www.aniowamom.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Whew! The suspence is finally over!
    That is such a great idea. They turned out great! It's been a few years since I've made ornaments. I will have to keep this in mind for next year.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I've been a lurker for several weeks now (cant recall exactly how I found you, but I'm so glad I did!), but just had to comment on the wreaths. I was heading out to Michael's anyway last night (50% off all holiday baskets!!), so I thought I'd pick up the supplies to make these lovely little wreaths. Except Michael's didn't have buttons (or if they did, I couldn't find them - the place was wall-to-wall bodies). So we headed to JoAnn's. Where I found lovely little color-coordinated packages of buttons. I bought 2 reds, two greens, a burgundy, a nature, and some teeny-tiny little white buttons, then proceeded to spend my evening stringing up seven little wreaths. They're adorable! Thanks so much for the idea, the review, the photos, and the link!

    What an addicting little pasttime!

    Have a great day.

    Honor

    ReplyDelete
  26. Those are really cute! And what's wrong with necco wafers and store brand spice drops??? :) Dang. Now I have another craft idea bouncing around in my head. Must stay away from craft stores. Must stay away...

    ReplyDelete
  27. thanks for the unveiling the button mystery. They are so charming! I will definitely remember that next year!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I've been a bit preoccupied lately, but I'm so glad I found this post! Love your little button decorations! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts?