Pages

Monday, November 5, 2007

Vidalia Onion Recipes A'Plenty

Ya'll wanted some Vidalia® recipes, right? I'm giving you three here, two from the church cookbook and one from my own little special recipe stash. They vary in their levels of complication, although all of them are pretty darned simple. The last recipe, from my own file, is a proven winner time and time again, even getting raves from people who say they don't LIKE onions. A Vidalia® onion's a breed apart - so sweet to begin with, having been grown in the hot summer sun of Southern Georgia, but when you bake it up into a dish like the three below, it becomes almost dessert-like in taste, thanks to the caramelization of all those glorious sugar molecules.

Vidalia Onion Casserole (#1)

(from On Mimosa Boulevard: Memories, Meals and Blessings, published by the women of Roswell Presbyerian Church in Roswell, Georgia, November 2005.)

5 medium onions
1 stick margarine
Parmesan cheese
Ritz® crackers
1 Tbsp milk

Slice onions thinly and saute in margarine until limp but not brown. Turn off heat. Place one-half onions into casserole dish; sprinkle generously with grated parmesan cheese. Crumble Ritz crackers over cheese. Repeat layers. Bake in 325° oven for approximately 20-30 minutes. If casserole looks too dry add one to two tablespoons of milk before baking.

----------------------------------------------

Vidalia Onion Casserole (#2)

(from On Mimosa Boulevard: Memories, Meals and Blessings, published by the women of Roswell Presbyerian Church in Roswell, Georgia, November 2005.)


2 large Vidalia onions, sliced thinly and seperated into rings
2 T. butter
2 cups grated Swiss cheese
1 tsp. soy sauce
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/2 cup milk
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 loaf French baguette bread

Saute onions in butter until softened and place in 9 x 13 inch glass dish. Cover with swiss cheese. Mix soup, soy sauce, milk and pepper together and pour over onion/cheese mixture. Cut bread into 3/4 inch slices and butter both sides. Place on top of casserole and bake at 350° for 1/2 hour.

-------------------------------------------------

My Sister Jackie's (Vidalia) Onion Pie

(Which may or may not actually be HER recipe, but she's where I got it and there's no other note on the little scrap of paper it written on as to its origin, so she's gettin' the credit.)

1 deep dish pie crust (frozen)
2 large Vidalia onions, sliced thinly
1/4 cup butter
3 eggs, well beaten
1 cup sour cream
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp white pepper
1/4 tsp Tabasco® sauce
Grated parmesan cheese

Saute onions in butter until tender. Stir in eggs, sour cream, salt, pepper and Tabasco®. Pour into pie crust and top with grated parmesan cheese. Bake at 450° for 20 minutes.

-------------------------------------------

Enjoy these! I'm off to do a gingerbread boy craft with Bean, which I'll be blogging about on Wednesday!

14 comments:

  1. Oh, I am so hungry after reading these recipes!!! Thank goodness for all this Halloween candy that's hiding in my office.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to try these recipes- I absolutely love vidalia onions- I could almost eat them raw! Thanks for sharing these.
    Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAYYYY-AYYY--
    About how many onions do think one might need in your sister Jackie's recipe? ;) Just wonderin'! Thanks for the gaaareaat recipes!
    Sarah T
    P.S. by the way I am one of your many(I am certain) lurkers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ILiJ, You're not a lurker anymore though... this it at least your second if not third comment! ;)

    I'm gonna go with 2 or 3 good sized onions. A nice SWEET YELLOW onion is a must... I think now that Vidalia season's over, the sweetest yellows are coming from like.. Peru? If you make it, come back and let me know how it is, okay?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so not into onions...but I do think it might be good info to know how much onion goes in the pie. tee hee

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the recipes. Now I just need to figure out which one my husband would like best.

    Is the third one more like a quiche with all the eggs?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I suppose it does have quichelike qualities. BUT, it is much less eggy than a quiche, really. The pie part is really just a nice solid chunk of oniony goodness, more than a slice of oniony eggs. If that makes any sense at all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh, honey, these sound glorious!!

    to think that there was a time that I didn't like onions.

    curse the day...

    Blessings,
    Karla

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those sound incredibly delicious. It's only 10am, how am I supposed to make through til lunch time?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks and I will let you know when I try them--I have been trying my hand a "Suzy-homemaker" these days so it might be sooner rather than later ;) OH MY GOODNESS!!!! I crack me up with how retarded I really am! I was just going to ask you what ILiJ stood for! In case you are wonderin' you really are dealin' with a geeeneeeouuuus! Anyhoo, enough humble pie for me thankyouverymuch! Take care.
    Sarah T

    ReplyDelete
  11. 'think you answered my question in an earlier comment--will I find V-I-D-A-L-I-A onions in Ireland? I don't know. So I will look for sweet yellow onions. Can't wait to try these reciptes! thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mmm, Mmmmm, and DOUBLE Mmmm....!!!!
    I've had that vidalia onion casserole before, and it is lip smackin'. I can make myself sick on it. But I lost my recipe, so thank you, Megan! Can't wait to try it all.
    I do have a bacon and onion quiche recipe that rocks - I mean, what can be better than bacon and onions TOGETHER???

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mmm, that onion pie sounds GOOD!

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts?