Pages

Thursday, November 22, 2007

Thanksgiving, at Dawn

Bean woke up and shuffled into our dark bedroom an hour ago, at four in the morning.
I'm thankful my daughter's getting so grown up and fearless.

We went back to her room, snuggled under her covers and read a story together.
I'm thankful for all the books we could ever want, right around the corner, FREE, at our beautiful little barn-shaped public library.

After the story, I lay with her for just a minute, pressing my cheek against hers, kissing her forehead, holding her close.
I'm thankful for her smell, her softness, the remnants of babyhood that still stubbornly cling to her big girl self.

Then I went back to bed and curled up into my sweet, warm husband who slept through all that but still immediately wound an arm around my waist and tucked his face into my neck.
I'm thankful for my best friend, the way we fit together, the way he's always kept me warm and safe in one way or another since the day we first met.

I lay beside him, willing myself back to sleep, but with my head full of excitement and plans for the day ahead. The week ahead. The month ahead. Sleep wouldn't come.
I'm thankful for these moments of quiet thinking without interruption, pretty much whenever I can get them.

I got up and lifted a few slats in the blinds, and looked out the windows to admire the season's first snow, having fallen silently overnight, frosting everything I saw: the homes of my neighbors and friends, the sidewalk and street, the trees.
I'm thankful for this, our prairie life, so different from what I've known, yet so much a home to me now.

I thought of my parents' waking soon down South, probably for their last Thanksgiving morning in my childhood home.
I'm thankful for my parents. Plain and simple.

I reflected on Thanksgivings past. Where I was, who I was. What I have learned and how God has shaped me in my lifetime. The simple miracle of growing up and becoming that accompanies aging.
I am thankful for every part of my history, even the painful parts.

I await the sunrise now and the start of a new, busy, happy day. I anticipate an afternoon of delicious food and family time with my sweet friends and their children.
I'm thankful for the blessing of having a deep, valued old friendship made new again, and the chance to spend this day celebrating together with our families. How the past and the present meet comfortably, and our children's laughter now mingles with our own.


Happy Thanksgiving, Everybody.

21 comments:

  1. That was just beautiful Megan - it truly was.

    Happy Thanksgiving to you all!

    you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Read your blog first thing this morning and it was a great way to start the day. Happy Thanksgiving, Megan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Megan - this is a really beautiful post - just a quiet statement of Thanksgiving. I really am thankful for you. You brighten my day and I am always happy to see what you have for us. Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was just lovely!
    We don't have Thanksgiving here obviously but thanks to you I'm now feling very thankfull about all the little things in my life :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was lovely. Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just beautiful, we all have so much to be thankful for every day but we don't often really dwell on the good! Have a very blessed Thanksgiving with friends and family!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Thanksgiving, Megan, Al & Bean!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy thanksgiving to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful post for Thanksgiving, I'm sure many can relate to these feelings, but you have spoken them for us.
    Happy Thanksgiving to you all

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a truly beautiful post. Yesterday I wasn thankful...today...NOT SO MUCH! I spent it canceling thanksgiving plans and consoling a puking toddler. Tomorrow might even be better, She'll be fine and running around and I'll be hugging the toilet. oh dear....I can't wait.

    but YOUR post was beauiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. what a lovely post, Megan!

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    Blessings,
    K

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hope you had a lovely Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  13. All wonderful things to be thankful for, indeed. You are blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That was beautiful. I love to snuggle with my kids and drink in their sweetness.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful post. Nothing better than waking to fresh fallen snow. Hope you guys had a Happy Thanksgiving

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a touching post!! Even though this Thanksgiving is a little hard for me, I am truly thankful for the wonderful things that I do have in my life. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and feelings!

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts?