Pages

Saturday, November 10, 2007

Red Beans and Rice

I'm going to give you two recipes here because I haven't tried the one from The Cookbook, although it looks pretty good, but I make Red Beans and Rice alla time using the second recipe, which is also my Mom's recipe, and I KNOW it's good, 'cause I've been eating it since I was a little kid, and it has to be good for a kid to like it - it has BEANS in it!

Red Beans & Rice
(from On Mimosa Boulevard: Memories, Meals and Blessings, published by the women of Roswell Presbyerian Church in Roswell, Georgia, November 2005.)

1 lb. kidney beans, dried
1 lb. sausage
1 lg. onion, chopped
1 tsp. garlic, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1-2 bay leaves
salt and pepper to taste
1 T. oil
1 cup long grain rice

In a Dutch oven over medium heat, cook oil, sausage, onion, garlic and celery - about 5 minutes or until onions are clear. Add beans, bay leaves and enough water to cover all (about 5-6 cups). Cover and bring to boil. Lower heat and cook 4 hours. Stir often and add water as needed (1 cup at a time). Serve over cooked rice with corn bread or French bread.

Recipe Note: This can be put into a slow cooker all day. Also, to get the beans creamy, take out 1 cup and mash them, then return them to the pot.

More detailed slow-cooker directions (Thanks, Laura!): To make RB&R in your slow-cooker, use 1 1/2 quarts of water. Soak beans overnight, then drain and rinse. Add all the ingreds to the pot (except the rice) at the same time with the water, cook on HIGH, covered for 2 hours, then reduce the heat to low for 10-12 hours. (I know, that's like forever!)

Mom's Red Beans & Rice

1 lb. red kidney beans
1 lb. smoked sausage, cut into 1/2 inch slices, then quartered (turkey smoked sausage works dandily, too.)
5 strips bacon
1 medium onion, diced
1 smallish green pepper, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
One hambone or ham hock
1-2 bay leaves
1/8 to 1/4 tsp. each of garlic powder, pepper, thyme, sage, oregano and dried parsley

Soak beans overnight in water to cover. Drain well and rinse beans. Cook bacon in Dutch oven until fat renders and bacon is done. Remove bacon and set aside. Add onions, pepper and celery to pan and saute until softened. Add soaked beans and then water or homemade chicken stock to pot to just cover beans. Add bay leaves and other spices/seasonings and immerse hambone or hock in the center of the pot. Bring all to boil and reduce heat to low. Simmer. Simmer some more. Keep simmerin'. (Simmer is a fun word y'all)... say it with me now: SIMMER SIMMER SIMMER) You can simmer these forever (but at least 2 hours, I'd say) and they will get nothing but better, as long as you just stir them periodically and keep an eye on the liquid level so they don't dry up. About 30 minutes or so before you're ready to serve the beans, take out the hamhock and the bayleaves and drop in sausage and the crumbled bacon. Wait until the hamhock cools and remove the meat from it and put it back in with the beans to get hot. Serve the beans over cooked rice or do it like they do in Nawlins: Serve a big ol' bowl of beans with a generous scoop of cooked rice in a ploob on top. You probably won't need to mash any beans to make this creamy since you've soaked them first. But if you feel the need to take matters into your own hands, by all means, be my guest!

Recipe Note: Hambones/hocks are not just out there for the takin' in all regions of the country, but most meat departments will gladly save you one if you ask nicely and bat your lashes a few times. Also, you can just save one next time you serve ham and keep it in the freezer until it's time to make RB&R. Never throw a hambone away.

That's just wrong.

11 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this! It sounds really good and is something I've never had before. In our parts, we save the ham bone for pea soup. Next time, I'll try this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. MMMMmmmmmmmmm girl!!!
    These sound yummy!

    I spent the first years of my life in Shreveport,La and know that's where my LOVE for sothern food comes from!!

    Thanks! I will have to introduce my kids to this as we live in PA Dutch Country now - you know, pig stomach, baked mush, scrapple, gross stuff like that is on the Mom-n-Pop menus here - blech!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I make red beans ALL the time. It's a specialty of mine. I use link sausage and ground sausage.

    I'm from south LA and it's a staple menu item!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. TAG - You're it!!

    8 RANDOM THINGS ABOUT YOURSELF!

    Have fun southern sista!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't made red beans and rice in YEARS! Sounds good, though.

    but the gingerbread sounds BETTER...

    I LOVE GINGERBREAD!!!!!!

    And Bean is adorable.
    Every year we bake Christmas cookie to give away. I both look forward to it and dread it at the same time, somehow. It's fun, and yet... 12 hours later, I'm still in the kitchen, cleaning for the 12th time, while the kids are playing, happily waiting to decorate. Every year I think, "Could I get out of this? But then I realize I want to do it. I'm just too tired. Deep breath. That's when it's time for inspiration from the colorful cookie book, the one with the glossy color pages full of tempting treats.

    On with the gingerbread men!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never had red beans and rice but it sounds yummy. I may have to add this to the menu this week

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey there. Just stopping in to say how much I like your blog and I gave you an award at my place. Stop by.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my yes. We LOVE RB&R around here! Both of these recipes sounds super . . . I think I'll put this on the ol' menu for next week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Us northern folk don't eat this much but both recipes sound very good, I just might try them both, not at the same time of course. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had to let you know that I cooked red beans and rice with cornbread tonight! Soooo good

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for including the specific spices in your Mom's recipe--I usually just see a vague reference to "Cajun spice"--and flavors vary wildly between brands.

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts?