Pages

Sunday, November 18, 2007

Grits Redux (I Promise FriedOkra is NOT Going to Become A Recipe Blog.)

Okay two more and then I promise no more grits. It's just that if you're interested in grits, these are neat recipes, and the second one is REALLY unusual for a grit preparation and I wanted to share it. It SOUNDS very very good. I may have to try it the morning after Thanksgiving.

Garlic Cheese Grits
1 cup regular (not quick-cooking) grits
4 cups water (But use half milk, remember?)
1 Tbsp. salt
1/2 cup butter
6 oz. rolled garlic cheese (I can't find this anymore, so I'd suggest 6 oz. Velveeta and 1/2 tsp. garlic powder. If you are feeling adventurous... and rich... you could use garlic and herb Boursin cheese. YUM.)
8 oz. sharp cheddar cheese, grated
2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
Paprika

Cook grits in salted water (water-milk combo). When cooked, add butter, cheeses and Worcestershire sauce. Stir until butter and cheese have melted. Place in a greased casserole and sprinkle with Paprika. Bake in a preheated 350° oven for 15 to 20 minutes.

Orange Zested Grits
3 cups water (I'm not sure about adding milk to this one because of the citrus juice. Mebbe curdle it? Not so yummy.)
1 tsp salt
1 cup quick-cooking grits
1/4 cup butter
1 teaspoon grated orange zest
1 cup orange juice
4 eggs, beaten
2 Tbsp. brown sugar

Bring water and salt to a boil; add grits. Cook over medium heat for 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; add butter, orange zest, orange juice, and eggs. Mix well. Pour mixture into greased 1 1/2 quart baking dish. Sprinkle with brown sugar. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Serves 8.

Read my lips: No New Recipes Tomorrow.

Promise.

Heavens I am up to my neck in holiday projects. Those Buttons are making me one Very Happy Little Elf indeed!

6 comments:

  1. I am going to show my Yankee Northerness, but I have never had grits but have a hankering (can I use that word?) to try them. Is it like polenta? Is that a dumb question? I have never had polenta either, but will probably try it after Thanksgiving.
    Thanks for the recipes!
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alright, already - this constant tease about the buttons is driving me to insanity! What are you doing????
    The grits with cheese sounds pretty good - If I try grits, that may be how I start.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the garlic cheese grits sound good, but then anything with garlic/cheese sounds good :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never, ever had grits in my life. Or seen them. I wonder what they taste like?

    ReplyDelete
  5. They taste like what you put in them, really. They're a vehicle for the flavors you add, Like... rice. Or pasta. I suppose they have a very mild corn flavor, like corn meal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Where do you get regular grits? My store sells instant (blech!) and "Quick Grits". I never saw anything else, so I assumed that was regular grits and they just put the quick on the box to advertise that they cook fairly quickly.

    And, have you ever made them in the crock pot?

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts?