Pages

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Country Brunswick Stew

Here it is, y'all. I haven't tried this recipe yet, myself, but you can believe that after having located it a few weeks ago while perusing The Cookbook, it's at the top of my list. In my opinion, it looks seriously perfect and delicious and almost exactly the way I remember from childhood. See, my parents used to drive my sister and me down to Jekyll Island, Georgia, to the beach when we were kids, and somewhere along the way we'd stop at this little shack of a restaurant and have fantastic barbeque and Brunswick stew. Even though I remember tasting and loving it, I wouldn't actually eat the stew for a couple of reasons: 1 - Serious or not, my parents mentioned something about there being SQUIRREL in it! and 2 - It also had lima beans, and those I could see with my own eyes. Er, no thankee, ma'am.

Mom's recipe for Brunswick Stew has the lima beans but no squirrel. The one below has neither! I'm goin' for it this weekend, I think!


Country Brunswick Stew
(from On Mimosa Boulevard: Memories, Meals and Blessings, published by the women of Roswell Presbyerian Church in Roswell, Georgia, November 2005.)

1 lb. beef
1 lb. pork
1 lb. chicken

Boil each in water (I'd add at least some salt and pepper to the water, myself) seperately, cool, then finely chop (in the food processor, if you have one). Save broth.

1 20 oz. can tomato puree
1 lb. onions, finely diced
1 20 oz. can shoe peg corn
1 8 oz. bottle ketchup
2 1/2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 oz. white vinegar
Tabasco sauce to taste
salt and pepper to taste
6 1/2 cups broth from boiled meats
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper

Combine meat with remaining ingredients and cook together for 2 hours.

4 comments:

  1. I don't normally like-a the stew, but this sounds yum!

    What is shoe peg corn and where can I find it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'll hafta ask my friend if the kind she loves so much has squirrel in it. lol.

    so, the meat isn't in, like, chunks? it's, like, pureed meat? i am so confused.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd say more like a course grind... like a little bigger than rice grains. Anyone else have input?

    Also, Laura, since you're gonna have to eat all those red beans and rice by yourself, I hasten to add that it freezes beautifully and is even better after being thawed and reheated. Even with the rice in it! Yes o yes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. me again! :P

    if one were, to say, give a batch of this stew as a gift....what do you think would be a good, erm, packaging (for lack of a better word?) for it?? lol. (THE WOMAN HAS TOO MANY CLOTHES!)

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts?