Pages

Monday, September 10, 2007

Menu Plan Monday

First off, Hope's Creamed Seafood and Vegetables, which I made last Thursday, was EXCELLENT. I mean seriously delish, y'all, so I'm posting the recipe, originally published in Penzey's One Magazine. I hadda make one minor modification to the recipe below seein's how I couldn't locate any Seafood Soup Base in my tiny lil prairie town (seafood? Naw, we don't DO seafood 'round these parts, lady). I may order some from Penzey's for next time, but my modification worked out tastily enough, so maybe not. I'm just not ready to commit to a Soup Base decision at this point! The modification I made was to add the liquid from the can of crabmeat to the sauce right after I'd stirred in the milk. Gave the sauce a nice oceanic richness, it did!


Hope's Creamed Seafood and Vegetables
1 lb thawed cooked shrimp
1 8 oz can crabmeat, drained
3 TB butter
1 small onion, diced
1 large clove garlic, minced
3 TB flour
2 cups milk
1 tsp seafood soup base
1/2 large red bell pepper, diced
4 oz. sliced mushrooms
2 cups fresh spinach, chopped
4 oz grated fresh Parmesan cheese
salt and pepper to taste
hot sauce to taste

In a large skillet, melt the buter over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring regularly, until just tender, about 3 minutes. Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly, until a light golden brown, about 1 minute. (This makes a roux). Slowly add the milk and whisk until thick and smooth. Add the soupbased and mix in well. Add the red pepperand simmer gently until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the shrimp, crab, mushrooms spinach and cheese, stir and simmer until everything is just tender. Don't overcook or the shrimp will be rubbery. Taste and add salt and pepper as desired. This is very good served over pasta, rice or even toast or biscuits. Top with extra cheese if desired and serve with hot sauce on the side. Serves 6.

From Penzey's One World of Flavor Magazine, Volume 2, Issue 4, 2007 (page 64)


Now, on to this week's menus:

Monday
Brown Rice Broccoli Cheese and Walnut Surprise (I know, the "surprise" part made me a little leary too, but this one's safe, I checked it out.)
Fresh Sweet Corn (get it while it lasts, people, there's a telltale nip in the air lately!)

Tuesday
StewedDamatersCornandOkra (it's all one word in my family, right Mom?)
Zucchini Cakes

Wednesday
Turkey Cutlets
Sweet Potato Casserole
Cranberry (BLARGH to the cranberries... I'm SICK of cranberries!) Dressing
Green Beans

Thursday
Hummus and Whole Wheat Pita
Greek Salad

And that about sums'er up for this week. A neighbor surprised us with a basket full of fresh cucumbers last night, so I'll work in a marinated cuke salad one night, as well. Nummy!

6 comments:

  1. That's an awesome week. Mine is a forced march of vegetable eating this week, sadly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM. Hey, you've been tagged for a clothing pet peeve meme, if you're interested.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything somes so yummy, as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  4. there's a telltale nip in the air?
    You gotta be kidding me.

    Must you rub it in?! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey,
    I checked out Penzey's and put in for a free trial subscription. New recipes make my job a lot easier. We get bored easily, I think. So, we'll see! Thanks for the tip in the right direction...

    and I'm with "roses" up there... no "nip" down here, yet. I'm dyin' for it.

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts?