Pages

Friday, August 17, 2007

Feel the Beat of the Rhythm of My Life (A Music Meme)

I found this little meme in Shannon's archives over at Rocks in My Dryer, and I couldn't resist playing along. Friday always makes me feel like dancing anyway so today seemed like the perfect day. Plus, stories-wise, I GOT NOTHIN', PEOPLE! Y'all have worn me out tellin' the tales this week. Shew!

I'm writing this from Melanie's house (it's Scrap Night) and I'm including her answers as well. Mel's a few years my junior and I think you'll feel the generation gap in some of our selections. But I have to tell you we have sung and giggled and howled so much over these songs and the memories that go with them that my cheeks hurt and my contacts feel like a couple of raisins on my eyeballs.

Anyway, the meme. Ahem. Here we go. And if you feel inclined to snicker at our choices, go ahead, but don't EVEN try to pretend there aren't some musical skeletons in your closet, too. Or is it skeletons in your musical closet? Hmmm...

Favorite Song From Childhood: It Might Be You performed by Stephen Bishop. From the movie, Tootsie. Used to lie on my bed and dream that somewhere out there was a boy lying on his bed dreaming about a hypothetical me. (And THERE WAS!) Somethin's tellin' me it might be you... all of my life.

Melanie's was The Muppet Show Theme Song. From the Muppet Show. She would put on the record and run around the table with her little cousin Christy.

Favorite High School Dance Song: Anything by Michael Jackson, but most notably, Thriller . Also Freeze Frame by J. Geils Band and She Loves Me Back by the late, great Luther Vandross... Giddy-up giddy-up giddy-up!

Melanie's was The Time of My Life from Dirty Dancing. Heh.

Senior Class Song: I don't remember there being one, but maybe I was just out of it? I don't even remember the Prom theme song. I am lame, y'all.

Melanie's was Don't Worry Be Happy by Bobby McFerrin.

Song That Makes You Think of College: Closer to Fine by the Indigo Girls, Songbird by Fleetwood Mac, Only You by Yaz and Boogie On Reggae Woman by Stevie Wonder.

Melanie: I Swear by All 4 One (She and her husband danced to this at their wedding, too. Everybody say aaawwwwwwwwwwwww one time!)

Favorite Rock & Roll Song: Let Me Take You Home Tonight by Boston. Kids, it just does NOT get any better than that, unless it's Not Gonna Let It Bother Me Tonight by Atlanta Rhythm Section.

Melanie loves to jam to Livin' on a Prayer by Bon Jovie.

Favorite Disco Song:
The Groove Line by Heatwave. Is that disco? They wore the right clothes, anyway. We'll count it. Moving on.

Melanie said, Disco?

Favorite Country Western Song: Hmmm... how 'bout,
I Take My Chances by Mary Chapin Carpenter 'Zat country? Nicki? Tracei? (Only Tracei can't answer me because *cough*sheneverleavescomments*cough.)

Melanie likes Forever and Ever Amen by Randy Travis.

Favorite Pop Song: How Far is Heaven by Los Lonely Boys

Melanie's choice: 1985 by Bowling for Soup (Oookey dokey then!)

Favorite Alltime Lovesong: This Must Be Love by Phil Collins

Melanie immediately burst into song with You're the meaning in my life. You're the inspira-a-tion. (by Chicago)

Favorite Break Up Song: Separate Lives by Phil Collins and Crystal Gayle. Oh y'all how Al and I love to sing and act this one out time to time. You would HOOT! Also She's Go-o-o-o-o-one Wha Whoh oh oh I... I better learn how to face, she's gone... by Hall and Oates.

Melanie wept over Hard to Say I'm Sorry by Chicago.

Favorite Slow Dance Song: Always and Forever performed by Luther Vandross. Yeah, I got me a kindof a thing for Luther's vibe, dog.

Melanie chose the BEST slowdance song in THE WORLD! The slowdance song by which all other slowdance songs should be measured: Open Arms by Journey!

Song That Always Makes You Cry: James Taylor's Song for You Far Away (Sniffle.)

Oh NO. Melanie chose Proud to be an American by Lee Greenwood. I'm sorry you're going to have that in your head the rest of the day. Hey, but it beats that dang Muppet Song! Am I right?

Songs About Your Kid:
Blessed by Elton John; Isn't She Pretty by Stevie Wonder; True Colors performed by Phil Collins; and Sweet Baby James by James Taylor, but I sing Rockabye Sweet Baby Bean.

With Eyes Wide Open by Pearl Jam reminds Melanie of her son Blake.

Song That Reminds You Of Your Husband: Always and Forever performed by Luther Vandross but with the Honey Bunny singing along in my ear. Siiiiiigh. Also, My Romance by Rodgers & Hart.

Melanie: Mack the Knife. AHEM.

Favorite Christmas Song: The Holly and The Ivy performed by George Winston; Go Tell It on the Mountain performed by James Taylor (seein' a pattern here yet?)

Melanie's favorites: The Christmas Song (Chestnuts roasting etc.), Away in a Manger.

Favorite Gospel/Praise Song: Emmanuel by Amy Grant.

Melanie loves Just A Closer Walk with Thee

Favorite Ringtone on Cellphone: Ebony and Ivory by Paul McCartney and Stevie Wonder always gets 'em laughing.

8 comments:

  1. You guys had a lot of fun with this one. Sorry I missed it. I giggled and sang along in my head all the way through it. And yes, that counts as country.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You KNOW I'm going to do this at some point. It was odd because when I read Melanie's answer for The Muppet Show Theme Song.. that is what I was listening to at the time. (Ri's choice.)

    Eek! (I comment as I read.) I don't even know "proud to be an american" and how could it beat the muppets? hahaha

    Is "Stayin' Alive" disco? If so I'm pretty sure that's the only one I know, haha. Or maybe "Disco Duck" then. Heh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh. My. Word. Does that ever bring back some precious memories. Wasn't being a kid fun? Sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to have to try this sometime! Definitely brings back some memories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're the inspiration was our wedding song, Open Arms is soooo awesome and I laughed at Ebony and Ivory.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed this post very much and yes, now I do have Proud to be an American in my head.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You crazy musical women!!

    I am afraid if I did this, it would turn into a sarcasto-fest. Cannot answer those questions with a straight face.

    Especially after watching High School Musical 2 tonight. Yikes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the Amy Grant song, too. Good choice. For the crying song? Butterfly Kisses.

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts?